hey can anyone recommend some good strings for me based on the styles i play? i pretty much play black/doom metal with alot of clean, melodic stuff as well, so i need something that can sound nice and melodic yet still have a really dark feeling to it and play metal, distorted stuff well. suggestions??????

influences: swallow the sun, skepticism, dimmu borgir, bullet for my valentine, anathema, opeth, katatonia, dark tranquility etc.
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
Last edited by Blackritual0 at Jun 12, 2010,
DR's are sweet. I use them on my electrics and I'd recommend the .11 gauge. I play similar music and they work perfectly.
Try to get those new Ernie Ball Hybrids. They have low gauge top strings and high gauge bottom strings so you can play heavy but still have light strings for lead
Strings really are completely down to personal preference. Some people like coated strings, some people like nickel, others prefer steel, of course gauge is entirely down to what sort of tension you like, the scale length of your guitar, bridge type, pickups...

Basically, there are far too many variables and finding the right strings for you really just comes down to experience, testing lots of brands out and see what feels best. I would advise you go for whatever brand feels best to you over what last longest or sounds the best, since your tone can be tweaked by many other things but the feel of the strings can't.

For what it's worth, I do think the newer titanium coated Ernie Ball strings are the best on the market, but sadly they are also some of the most expensive. I have found they feel smoother than regular EBs with less tension than D'Addarios and last longer than Elixir strings - but again, that's just me and what I've found within my testing and playing. Your experience may vary.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by almosthuman36
DR's are sweet. I use them on my electrics and I'd recommend the .11 gauge. I play similar music and they work perfectly.

DR's are awesome... i love the tone and the feel you get off them. My fav type is the Alexi Lahio Signature...
try some elixr 11-54's, elixr are amazing and that gauge will let you sololightly and quickly but still has the balls in the low end. i love the way everyone is going on about these new ernie ball hybrids when almost every brand, including ernie ball, had their own version of these before but just never put a special label on them.
hmm.... i think ill try the dr's, i got nickel coated "power" Ernie balls and they were the worst strings ive ever used in my life lol. my guitar sounds more like a tin can now
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.