Well to start off. I'm 16 and I am going to be doing full time work over the summer and I'm looking to buy my first Gibson Les Paul but i'm a little nervous because I've never spent that much money on well.....anything before. I've been in love with Les Pauls for years but have nover actually owned one. Just looking on musicians friend I've beem having trouble actually finding one that come close to my specs. Basically i've been looking at the Standard and Standard Plus because they seem best for me as I play mostly Hard Rock (Hinder for example). I cant really afford anything from Gibson custom. I'm worried because I dont know if they are worth as much as they're priced at and im also worried about bringing it to gigs (when my band starts gigging) thinking someone might steal my $2800 guitar. I am thinking of just getting an Explorer instead as its a whopping $1000 or more less and im not worried about the pickups in it or looking around for a used les paul. So basically what im geting at is what do you other Gibson owners think about this and were you nervous about spending that much money and are you a little paranoid it might get stolen?. (I'm not a gear noob btw)
find a cheap used one, atleast that's what i did
Gear:
Boss MD-2
Fake Gibson Les Paul
Washburn BD12R
Kawasaki Acoustic

Quote by Lots O' FX
digoutyerarse: none dig deeper

I"M SO RANDUMZ LOL
If you're worried about it, go used. It's still expensive but not AS expensive as losing a new one.

If you're lucky and know where to look, you'll be able to find a pretty much new one for a lot less money - Les Pauls are guitars that people do tend to look after due to the price.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I didn't consider any of that. Nobody is going to steal your guitar at a gig dude, not unless you leave it on stage and then leave the building. Les Pauls and explorers are not even comparable tonally. They're totally different guitars. I was not nervous about spending the money, so much as I was nervous about not being able to make car payments since I would then be OUT of money

I have never once been paranoid about anything to do with it, I just know that I love the guitar. Don't spend money on the standard plus by the way, it's a waste of money. Have a look at the finish on mine in my profiles. It's just a regular old standard, and the top is more figured than MOST of the standard plus guitars that I've seen. Do not buy off of musicians friend. Les Pauls are handmade, and vary from guitar to guitar. You absolutely NEED to play a les paul before buying to make sure that it's right for you. Lastly, make sure you get one from from pre-2007, as the weight relief guitars sound different from the 2006 and earlier.

in guitar terms, you get what you pay for. For a hard rock/blues/blues rock/jazz guitarist, the les paul is worth its weight in gold. To a metal guitarist, it will probably seem overpriced.
I bought a Les Paul Custom about 7 years ago from a good friend of mine. I've always loved Les Pauls (what can I say, I'm a Jimmy Page fan...) and this particular guitar always appealed to me. It sounded and looked incredible. He decided to buy a new guitar but couldn't afford it, so he offered it to me for a reasonable price. I jumped on it right away. Best purchase I've ever made. It's been my main electric guitar since then, and I've never had a single regret. Gibsons are solid, hand made, American guitars. They do have a higher price tag, like you mentioned, but to me they're worth every penny.
In terms of sound, they have a really full, sweet sounding tone that goes well with your style and lots of other styles. Made of really heavy wood, which gives you great tone and amazing sustain. This is a great attribute, but also the biggest downfall. It can be quite heavy, and playing an hour or two long gig with it strapped over your shoulder can get VERY tiring. But to me, the sound is worth it. I've always found it a fairly easy guitar to play, but I've heard some complain about LPs' playability. I've never personally tried an Explorer, but I've also heard they're nice guitars. Doesn't surprise me. Every Gibson I've ever tried has blown me away.
If you're really serious about it, I suggest you sit down at a local guitar store and try it out for a while. Play around on it, see if you like the feel and sound of it. If not, try something else out.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
If you're cocerned about spending that much, go to a music store nearby and see if they have any you can demo. Doing that and then buying from the store would make you feel much more comfortablel than biting the bullet and orderig online.

Just my 2 cents
i strongly recommend the gibson bfg. some people think they're butt ugly, but i love them. ridiculously versatile guitars. plus they go for anywhere between $800 and $1200 on ebay all the time. i loved mine, except it was a little heavy for me and it just wasn't comfortable sitting or standing. chances are you've already played a few les pauls and know they're right for you. i had always thought the bfg was the guitar for me, but i found out otherwise but seriously, i really recommend them. plus you'll save a decent amount and you can invest in an amp or just plain save it for your second les paul
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I definitely recommend playing one before purchase, as they vary a bunch from guitar to guitar. If you can get one used, you should be able to save a few bucks, too. Shouldn't make that much of a difference, as guitarists generally take good care of their guitars. Especially the more expensive ones.

I'd love to advertise for Strats, but you seem to have made up your mind, anyway.
Last edited by Zeropathic at Jun 12, 2010,
Don't look at their supposed specs and don't look online. Every Gibson is different. This isn't eclusive to the Custom Shop models, even the regular production models are prone to it. You can very easily pick up two Gibsons that are the same model, made in the same year with even the same finish, and yet one will weigh a lot more than the other, they'll both sound drastically different and the necks will be different, regardless of what the spec says.

There is one and only one way to buy a Gibson guitar: go to as many stores as you can and play as many different Gibsons as you can find. Ignore what the model names are, ignore what the spec sheets say. Just play everything. When you find one that fits you perfectly - and I mean perfectly - buy that exact guitar. Do not settle for second best, do not skip a guitar because of its model name or what the spec sheets say, do not buy a guitar just because of the model name or what the spec sheets say. You're talking about a considerable sum of money and most people only really get the chance to have one Gibson, MIA Fender or PRS guitar in their lifetime, few people can justify buying several. So make this one count. If you buy a guitar online, buy a guitar without trying it, buy a guitar just becaue of the model name or buy a guitar based on what the spec sheet says, all you're doing is pissing your money away on a guitar that most likely will not suit you.

For reference, when I was shopping for my Custom Shop LP, I tried close to thirty guitars and drove up and down the country before I found the one that I thought was perfect for me. Two years later and I'm selling it because I've come to realise it isn't quite as perfect as it should be. And that's a Custom Shop model - finding a perfect production model is even harder. Be prepared for a lot of travelling and a long wait. If you don't want to put the time in to find the guitar that is right for you then Gibson is the wrong brand for you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The Standards are great, but you can honestly get just as good of a tone out of most Les Paul Studio's. I've played studio's and standards side by side, and yes sure there is definitely a difference, the standard is a great guitar. But I don't think their is difference enough to justify the $1200 price difference. And for $1300 (compared to $2500), you could swap the pups and/or customize to whatever specs you want, and save a lot of money in the process. Only thing I would suggest is to go play the guitar before you buy it, and not to purchase from musiciansfriend. As the studio's seem to vary from guitar to guitar. I honestly think the 498t is a pretty underrated pickup. I've come to the conclusion that it fits my playing needs pretty much perfectly.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 12, 2010,
DO NOT WORRY. Legit bro nothing will happen unless you throw it at a wall or something. Just keep it with you and don't let anyone ruin it if you're that paranoid. I wouldn't get a Standard Plus. The standard is more than fine. In fact I'd look at a studio and upgrade pups. Good luck
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
I want to speak to you as someone who has just purchased their first LP. I have played over 20 different LPs from Standards to Customs to Studios. I also had my guitar playing Uncle come with me and play them all as well.

I ended up on a 2010 LP Studio. Yes it is lighter than pre-2007 models, but I promise you the tone difference is not noticeable to 99.9% of people. In fact in a blind test with other guitarist my 2010 LP Studio vs. my uncle's 2001 LP Standard, not one of the 4 people tested could accurately determine the difference by sound. The hardware and pick-ups do look of more quality and I am sure the wood is a better piece, but for the money you save, an amp, new pick-ups and hardware will destroy the LP Standard (assuming it also did not have parts swapped).

Don't overlook the Studio, you may find yourself in love with an authentic sounding LP at a fraction of the cost.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Quote by handbanana
The Standards are great, but you can honestly get just as good of a tone out of most Les Paul Studio's. I've played studio's and standards side by side, and yes sure there is definitely a difference, the standard is a great guitar. But I don't think their is difference enough to justify the $1200 price difference. And for $1300 (compared to $2500), you could swap the pups and/or customize to whatever specs you want, and save a lot of money in the process. Only thing I would suggest is to go play the guitar before you buy it, and not to purchase from musiciansfriend. As the studio's seem to vary from guitar to guitar. I honestly think the 498t is a pretty underrated pickup. I've come to the conclusion that it fits my playing needs pretty much perfectly.

that's true only if he isn't looking at the custom shop. The standards do have better wood.

OP see if you can find one used that you can actually play.
Realize that for any short of short term sale say 1-15 years you're new guitar will lose been 33 and 50 percent of its value as soon as your return period runs out.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror

Realize that for any short of short term sale say 1-15 years you're new guitar will lose been 33 and 50 percent of its value as soon as your return period runs out.

Anyone who is willing to sell their les paul (assuming they had only one) shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Make sure it's right. IMO if you find the right one, it's your guitar for life.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Anyone who is willing to sell their les paul (assuming they had only one) shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Make sure it's right. IMO if you find the right one, it's your guitar for life.

I've sold 2 les pauls........................
I like them a lot but sometimes I dunno?
I do have guitars I won't sell. My new lp is definitely on the top of my list for most likely won't sell. But it's not nearly as high on my list of keepers as my prs or my t/a.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Eh. Two years ago I thought my Les Paul was the most perfectly-fitting guitar I could possibly imagine. Then my taste changed, my playing style changed and now it's unplayable and simply taking up space while my much cheaper LTDs and Epiphones are getting regular daily use. People change.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Eh. Two years ago I thought my Les Paul was the most perfectly-fitting guitar I could possibly imagine. Then my taste changed, my playing style changed and now it's unplayable and simply taking up space while my much cheaper LTDs and Epiphones are getting regular daily use. People change.

+1..do NOT buy a guitar to keep it for the rest of your life..

BTW fibblz,did you sell your LP?how is mayones process going?
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 13, 2010,
no one will steal the guitar if your using it ;D and you can always go for a gibson les paul studio there basically 95% similar
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
man, ur spending alot, of corse ur gonna be nervous, heck i was nervous when i bought my gibson, but keeping in mind that around 50 different people built, painted and made ur guitar complete perfection for YOU makes you feel special
I agree for the most part with Mr Flibble's advice. Don't buy online, go to store (or stores) to test drive them. Shipping back a guitar costs you money and time so spend a little and bus it if you have to a store which stocks enough samples.
I personally do pick a model based on the specs I want, but I'm a lot older and not likely to change my preferences now. Then I try to find the best example of that model. (Quality & feel)
Another thing with Gibson is their setups suck! High action that I found almost impossible to play so you have to be able to see past that and assess the guitar despite not being able to comfortably play it.
I have a standard "Checklist" of things I inspect on the guitar to eliminate the less well built ones you can encounter, then further screen out the ones where I don't like the feel of the guitar. Ideally that should leave you with the best of the bunch.
If you're patient you'll eventually find the one you want. I went to all four stores here authorized to sell them and still ended up ordering one in to try in-store (no obligation or shipping costs to me) before I purchased my Traditional.

Happy huntng & good luck.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 13, 2010,
How about a used Gibson, and a Agile AL-2000 for gigging. Nothing wrong with a Les Paul Copy
And just so ya know, Gibsons are faked alot, but copier miss several things.

Gibsons have binding over the ends of the frets on all models with a bound neck. Unless the guitar has been refretted
Gibsons have 2 screws on the truss rod cover, and it looks like a bell. Check out pictures of the models on gibson.com or some other website to know what the truss rod will say for a specific model.
Finally, keep in mind the way the knobs look on real gibsons. THey are usually placed slighly differently on copys.
Quote by burnboy85
How about a used Gibson, and a Agile AL-2000 for gigging. Nothing wrong with a Les Paul Copy
And just so ya know, Gibsons are faked alot, but copier miss several things.

Gibsons have binding over the ends of the frets on all models with a bound neck. Unless the guitar has been refretted
Gibsons have 2 screws on the truss rod cover, and it looks like a bell. Check out pictures of the models on gibson.com or some other website to know what the truss rod will say for a specific model.
Finally, keep in mind the way the knobs look on real gibsons. THey are usually placed slighly differently on copys.

except for that one.
Why the hell would you buy some Agile garbage for gigging when you have a real les paul. If you want a les paul copy that is even close to comparable to the les paul, then he should be looking at Tokai or an ESP.
Not eveyone has the money blow on a new les paul every week(even though they've only been playing guitar for 6 months)
So acousticmirrors opinion is a little tainted if you ask me. Its a like a 16 year old getting a bentley as there first car, its just dumb imo.
Quote by imnouser
man, ur spending alot, of corse ur gonna be nervous, heck i was nervous when i bought my gibson, but keeping in mind that around 50 different people built, painted and made ur guitar complete perfection for YOU makes you feel special

Yes, keep in mind that your $2,800 Gibson was made on an assembly line for about $400 by dozens of different people with no special experience with guitars.
^^ TBH, you make it sound like he's getting a NOS LP from the '50s. Any age is the proper age to get a kickass guitar. If he has the resources and/or the skills to accumulate the scratch to buy any Gibson he likes, very cool! It doesn't matter if it came from Mommy or Nana or working a friend's vineyard hauling grapes.

Quote by Schism1985

Yes, keep in mind that your $2,800 Gibson was made on an assembly line for about $400 by dozens of different people with no special experience with guitars.

wtf are you talking about? It's not an epiphone. All Gibsons are hand made ya dink
^ perfect pic for this +1

but seriously schism, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by Schism1985

Sorry bud, You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Les Pauls are handmade. Ever wonder why some les pauls seem to have some other worldly mojo, and others are total heaps?
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
Not eveyone has the money blow on a new les paul every week(even though they've only been playing guitar for 6 months)
So acousticmirrors opinion is a little tainted if you ask me. Its a like a 16 year old getting a bentley as there first car, its just dumb imo.

ya but I played 2 epi's lps, 2 gibby studios, and a whole bunch of other guitars before I even thought about picking up a historic even to play. That's not the point. All I was saying is that don't buy a guitar new unless you know exactly what you want and can test it out and know what you're looking for because most new guitars are going to lose up to 33 percent of their value the second you can't return it anymore.

Quote by Schism1985

ruretard?

Quote by AcousticMirror
All I was saying is that don't buy a guitar new unless you know exactly what you want and can test it out and know what you're looking for because most new guitars are going to lose up to 33 percent of their value the second you can't return it anymore.
?

I'm not so sure with the les pauls. Especially the pre-2007 les pauls. Now that the Big Man has died, it's entirely possible that the pre-weight relief (more specifically, pre-EXTREME weight relief) guitars may eventually go up in value.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I'm not so sure with the les pauls. Especially the pre-2007 les pauls. Now that the Big Man has died, it's entirely possible that the pre-weight relief (more specifically, pre-EXTREME weight relief) guitars may eventually go up in value.

well i dunno. just giving the ts a little warning in case he buys a lp and decides they don't like and is all wtf at resale value. that's all. no needs for arguments.
i really need a cs 336.

I had a '95 LP Studio, thing was an absolute dead weight. I traded it to someone who also had a similar studio(guess he wanted 2), I think his was an 04. Mine was definitely a bit heavier than his. But I got an SG Standard out of it(and not to mention that this guitar was used to record albums of a pretty popular band thats getting really big)
Well, since the OP hasn't posted back in a while, and you guys can't get along, this thread has run its course.

Threadstarter, of course you are going to be nervous about spending that much money. It's something you have to deal with. You can either deal with it and buy the guitar, or not. If you buy used, you can comfort yourself with the fact that you can get most of the money back, if you need to sell. You also save some money. And just don't let the guitar out of your site and it won't get stolen.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...