I had an extremely weird idea of furry guitars. But I was curious if fur on top of the wood would affect the playing and tone of the guitar in any way. Would a guitar sound different simply by adding some softness? I just wanted to be sure before I tried this. Thanks
didnt ZZ Top do this?
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270
Squire Stagemaster 7string

Amps
Randall Titan head
Randall XL cab with celestions

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips
Korg Pitchblack tuner
Quote by TJ Wise
didnt ZZ Top do this?

Yup, also had the guitar spinning belt buckles!
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by TJ Wise
didnt ZZ Top do this?

Possibly....I didn't really research this. But I was just wondering if the fur would affect the tone in any way.
yeah i thought so haha. though it shouldnt effect the sound much unless the fur covers up the magnets on your pickups. i believe putting fur on guitars is purely aesthetic
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270

Amps
Randall Titan head

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips
Korg Pitchblack tuner
i dont know why...but that picture cracked me up haha
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270

Amps
Randall Titan head

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips
Korg Pitchblack tuner
Quote by TJ Wise
i dont know why...but that picture cracked me up haha

...its the beards.
Quote by rickyj
...its the beards.

i think it was a mixture between that, the bearded guitars and the trench coats..
Guitars
LTD MH-100QMNT
Ibanez RG270

Amps
Randall Titan head

Pedals
Modded Boss Metal Zone
Dimebag wah
Dan electro fish n chips
Korg Pitchblack tuner
All that fur..I guess it would only affect the sound and playability if the fur happened to touch the strings. Might mute or muffle it
Quote by LeviMan_2001
It's great fun to have a furry guitar. It's super comfy, the only trouble is it looks terrible because it gets all matted. Oh and don't use black fur, because it ends up looking like pubes. Ask me how I know.

How ever do you know?!

*awaits with anticipation*
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
the fur will only affect your tone as much as the difference between poly and nitro finish: neglibible without high tech equipment althought some claim to hear the difference and the grain of the wood being different is more likely to be the cause anyway.

but yeah, Even if the fur covered your pickups it'd have no effect: the poles work using electric field disruption (Laws of Inducing Current) so a non-magnetic object in the field would have no effect unless it obstructed the strings
HAHA they look like pedophiles.

A furry guitar would be extremely comfy especially naked.
What if it where heated!!!
Also if you put a little pouch in the back to put your junk in.
Perfect for a cold winter day.
Dean built the original fuzzy guitars for ZZ Top, they took Standard Z's and built a jacket made of lambskin that zipped up over the body from the back. Even the tuners had fur haha
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by lil PopTart kid
HAHA they look like pedophiles.

A furry guitar would be extremely comfy especially naked.
What if it where heated!!!
Also if you put a little pouch in the back to put your junk in.
Perfect for a cold winter day.
All... so... true
Of course it needs a little pot-pocket, and you can put whatever you want in therrr!
Attachments:
m20fur2.jpg
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
been there, (nearly) done that
just need to finish the neck on this...

but yeah, i just got some fake fur (for teddy bears) and made it the right size, then glued it on. (also a few imposible to find stapels for good measure)

but i dont see why you cant do this.

EDIT, added a pic
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Last edited by metal-matt at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Why would you want to? This seems horribly tacky....seems like it would get in the way of playing too.

why wouldnt you want to?

and i think tacky is kinda the point
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Quote by metal-matt
been there, (nearly) done that
just need to finish the neck on this...

but yeah, i just got some fake fur (for teddy bears) and made it the right size, then glued it on. (also a few imposible to find stapels for good measure)

but i dont see why you cant do this.

EDIT, added a pic
(Invalid img)

is that the guitarfetish.com double cutaway kit?
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Please do this. Worst comes to worst and all you will have to do is tear off the fur, clean it off with some meths and refinish. If the fur was short enough, I doubt it would be a problem, though consider how much you sweat. I once had a watch with a fabric strap that I wore while doing sports, and it really stank after a few months. I had to chuck it. Your guitar might start to stink really bad.

It would however solve the problems of cold belly if you play topless. I hate playing my guitars with laquer because they feel so cold.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by Darkdevil725

That's me! Years ago. I'm not such a dumbass now. And I don't suck as much. The fur covering is kind've dodgey but fun. Also, how did I ever think that version of little wing was good enough for video!?!?!
Last edited by LeviMan_2001 at Jun 16, 2010,
I think this could be a dangerous idea. Having used certain glues on certain fabrics before I have experienced the glue heating up, and/or emitting gas. Sometimes the gas discolours the fabric. You have to be beyond careful checking which glue you can use with which synthetic material unless you want unpredicted chemical reactions.
Am I bassist that plays guitar, or a guitarist that plays bass? A guitar in a bass amp, a bass in a guitar amp?
Quote by skwelcher
is that the guitarfetish.com double cutaway kit?

might be.
i got it from the people who make the kits, so it might be the same thing, but im not sure.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by abyssspecter
why wouldnt you want to?

and i think tacky is kinda the point

Tacky is the point.
I think if I ever decide to buy another SX SJM 62 I'll put fur on it. I also have a body from an Ibanez SG copy that I was thinking of doing it too. I think the tackiness adds to the cool factor of the guitars, but that's just me.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"