I bought my Les Paul back in April and still love it very much but when I go to GC and try other Les Pauls (Gibson) I'm saddened by the Pups. Don't get me wrong, they are decent and sound nice. But as I progress I notice myself wanting a much better tone and I can't get that with these. I was wondering is it really worth upgrading the Pick ups on my Studio Deluxe. Also to what? I love Slash's tone so I was looking into his new Pups and I also might want to get a metal Pup for the bridge. Suggestions?? thanks :-]

Edit: Also a new amp is in consideration but I want all sides of the argument.
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
Last edited by Rcasa630 at Jun 12, 2010,
What type of pups does your Epi have?
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Price Range?

Also, you'll likely find a bigger improvement in your tone with an amp upgrade.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Just the factory Epi Alnicos

The vt15 is just good for the multitude of amp tones.

If you want a cheap upgrade, a lot of LP guys sell their stockers on eBay for like 60 shipped, not the BurstBuckers, but the 490T/498R combo.
Michael
490T/498R? is that the name of them? I think they're called Alnico classic. For this one at least.

•490R and 498T Alnico 2 magnet humbucker pickups
Michael
I'd definitely go with a 490R/498T combo. It's in most Gibson LP's that don't have Classic 57's or BurstBuckers.
And those are a much better alternative? I plan on sticking with her for a while so I'm willing to spend a decent amount. Remember Slash tone for neck and Metal for the bridge.

Those come with all non-fade LP Studios, Standards, Customs and Deluxe versions of each in Gibsons from factory. It's definitely a step up for cheap.

Otherwise you will be looking at 100+ for some EMGs or DiMarzzio's or whatever your choice is.
Michael
I could spend about $150 I guess. It is a Epi so I don't wanna put too much $ into it. I'd like to save some though.

I'd suggest you get either
A set of pagey 2s from zhangbucker. Their onsale for 140 right now.
http://www.zhangbucker.com/humbuckers.html
Hot rod pafs from Manlius - they were on sale but I dunno if they are now.
http://www.manliusguitar.com/hotrod.html
Any of the sets from bgpickups are 140
http://bgpickups.com/hb.html

Honestly though, it's not going to make a difference until you change your amp.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I dunno what that second amp in your sig is, but the first one, the Valvetronix, is a modelling amp - a pickup change really isn't going to do anything for you, especially if you change to a ''metal'' pickup. At best, you'll keep the same tone. What is more likely is you'll make your tone significantly less responsive.

You're putting too much emphasis on the pickups. They don't effect your tone as much as you think they do, especally through a modelling amp. You mentioned Slash; you do realise that almost all of Slash's tone comes from his amp and he chooses his pickups to be the flattest, lowest output pickups possible so they effect his tone as little as possible? You mentioned too that the guitars you've tried out are Gibsons; the reason those sound so much better isn't because of the pickups they have, it's because they're made of much higher quality wood, with higher quality controls and a thinner finish. Chances are when you're in a store trying these guitars out you're also either using a different amp, or at least the same amp but EQd differently.

For what it is worth, the stock Epiphone pickups are exact copies of the Gibson '57 Classics that are in most Gibson guitars.

Forget a pickup change. It won't effect your tone as much as you want it to. If you're unhappy with your tone, an amp change is what you need. Eventually you'll want to change guitar, and then you'll want a pickup change. Changing pickups really is the last thing anyone should bother doing, until you've got a professional-quality amp and a professional-quality guitar, a pickup change really won't do all that much.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^^^ The last 2 posts. Exactly what I need. I was asking for info on Pups and if i should change. However I like more criticism. So what are you guys thinking? I can't really do something ginormous with the amount of space i'd have.
Attachments:
IMG00341-20100612-2334.jpg

Looks like you could probably fit a decent combo in there. A or a Orange Tiny Terror are probably the cheapest ways to get mid-gain valve tone in a small space. A Marshall DSL401 is also good but can be a bit pricey in some areas. A Blackheart Little Giant can be a good even cheaper options, though since it has no gain control of its own you'd need to pair it with a decent overdrive pedal to get much versatility out of it. Peavey Windsor (low-medium gain), Classic (medium gain) and Valve King (high gain) combos are really good too though in some areas they can be hard to get hold of.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'm looking to spend $500 or less on an amp. That DSL is faaarrr from my range sadly. Should I just keep waiting and make due with what I have now?