Need to do something about the pickups in my AL-2000 FR, they're quiet yes, but they lack a little bit.

I got the following options:

Change the magnets in the stock pickups, to Alnico. I have Alnico II, III, IV, V and 8 magnets laying around.

Use a Gibson 498T, change the magnet and use it in either neck position if I use a II, III or IV alnico. Or in bridge position if I use an alnico 8. It just lacked the power when I used it in the Warlock.

Or take a long shot and use my old BC Rich BDSM pickups, change out the magnets on those. And of course wax pot them.

I need more singing sustain from the neck pickup.

The bridge pickup, hmmmm better harmonics, easier to do pinch harmonics, and yeah more singing tone, more punch.

Problem is before I bought the Agile I modified the Warlock to a point where it sounds closer to the sound I was looking for, so now the Warlock got a warmer bridge sound than the Agile.
Guitars: Agile AL-2000 FR / B.C. Rich Warlock
Amps: Vox Lil Night Train / Vox AC4TV8 / Dean Markley K-150
Rack: ADA MP-1 / ADA MP-2 / Quadraverb / Rocktron Hush (definitely need a power amp)
Some pedals, some other stuff
Last edited by vorgath at Jun 12, 2010,
I'm pretty sure the AL-2000's come stock with Alnico magnets.

Get a 490R/498T combo or maybe even a 500T in the bridge.
Nope, they're ceramics. The 3000 series got alnicos
Rack: ADA MP-1 / ADA MP-2 / Quadraverb / Rocktron Hush (definitely need a power amp)
Because I got some pickups laying around, and I also don't have much money left. I did the real pickup upgrade on the Warlock, but can't use the Tone Zone in the Agile, it would be real muddy.
Wouldn't be worth trying to put new magnets in there. Alnico magnets essentially give a more mellow sound. Ceramics are better for higher gain music.

Have you tried raising the pickup a little? And are sure you its not your technique?
LOL my technique does suck, because I take breaks that last for years LOL.

But I can still hear the difference when I play my two guitars.

I basically want a bit more vintage tne, but with a severe bite when pushed harder.
It's worth a try. Alinco's are a little clear and warmer. Ceramics can be clear but are brighter on the high end. Ceramics change how you need to eq too. They can make low end very muddy.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I'm also not sure why the Warlock's pickups clean up a bit smoother than the Agile's. I do get better cleans from the Warlock.
As far as the harmonics thing goes, that is all about technique, not your pickups. If your technique is actually good, you can get pinch harmonics to ring out on an acoustic guitar; hell the best pickup I've found for getting pinch harmonics to ring out clearly was the neck pickup of my Gibson, which was the ultra-low output Alnico II-based BurstBucker #1.

So if you're having trouble with your harmonics, practise your technique. At most, switch down to some very low output pickups with mismatched coils and that haven't been wax potted.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.