So I really really like the AC30 that I played at guitar center, the only question I have is:

would it be possible to dial in a distortion tone like the foo fighters with an AC30+some pedals?
Yes, with the right pedals.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
AC30's respond very well to pedals, including modeling pedals/systems. With a high-quality modeling pedal (Pod X3 for example) running into the amp, you could definitely get at least a workable Foo tone PLUS many other quality tones.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
i'm pretty sure dave grohl uses ac30's in the studio so you should be able to nail his tone really.
Quote by wryan89
i'm pretty sure dave grohl uses ac30's in the studio so you should be able to nail his tone really.

He did, now I think he uses some kind of mesa head. that might just be live though

But you'll definately be able to get a good foo fighters tone
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
He did, now I think he uses some kind of mesa head. that might just be live though

But you'll definately be able to get a good foo fighters tone

yeah he uses mesa's live and ac30's in the studio. at least thats what he said in an interview with them crooked vultures in guitarist magazine.
I thought he ran a A/B with the mesa AND the ac30
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by guitarsftw
AC30's respond very well to pedals, including modeling pedals/systems. With a high-quality modeling pedal (Pod X3 for example) running into the amp, you could definitely get at least a workable Foo tone PLUS many other quality tones.

While this is true, I don't like the idea of running a complicated-ass rig simulator like a Pod through a worthwhile amp like an AC30. I'd recommend just buying the pedals you want (distortion, delay, whatever) and going for boutique makes.

But to answer the original question, yeah, you can do it.