Hello.

I've got some questions regarding recording my guitar into my computer, with a considerable quality, not the TOP, but those kind of recordings that you listen on youtube, that have a good sound.

So, in 1 week i will buy the Blackstar HT-5. It will be my main "record" amp. (clean&dirt)
I will use my pedalboard, to produce all type of sounds and modulation (boost, phase, wah, fuzz, delay, chorus etc), so 1 thing i have certain, i don't wanna use any digital modelling things, interface, amp, etc.

So firstly i will record straight from the HT-5, directly to my Audigy 2 Soundcard. My main question is, how good will it sound? I know it's a low quality thing to record guitar straight to PC. But having the amp as interface will it be acceptable?

I know the best way to do this, is to mic the amp.
So let's say in the next month i got a bugdet to buy only recording misc items.

Should i, mic the amp, use an audio interface let's say m-audio fastrack then to pc?
Amp -> mic -> maudio -> pc

Or:
Amp -> Amp line out -> maudio -> pc

I'm kind of noob in this things, I just want to have a decent recording rig, and since the blackstar ht-5 is perfect for studio...

Ok, give them to me (comments lol)
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
The Blackstar HT-5 is not perfect for the studio. Cheap Amp + Cheap Speaker Cab always leads to bad recording. Instead, you've either gotta save up and buy a nice amp or buy some amp modeling software.

Second, going straight out of the line out port will sound even worse. Most speaker simulators like that in the HT-5 aren't good unless its a standalone unit.

You're better off using the JCM900 you have listed in your sig, buying an interface and a good mic for micing a guitar cab.

I'd recommend getting this package: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Fast-Track-MKII-Studio-Package?sku=485736

+

This mic: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-e609-Silver-Dynamic-Guitar-Microphone?sku=276668
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
The Blackstar HT-5 is not perfect for the studio. Cheap Amp + Cheap Speaker Cab always leads to bad recording. Instead, you've either gotta save up and buy a nice amp or buy some amp modeling software.

Second, going straight out of the line out port will sound even worse. Most speaker simulators like that in the HT-5 aren't good unless its a standalone unit.

You're better off using the JCM900 you have listed in your sig, buying an interface and a good mic for micing a guitar cab.

I'd recommend getting this package: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Fast-Track-MKII-Studio-Package?sku=485736

+

This mic: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-e609-Silver-Dynamic-Guitar-Microphone?sku=276668

Pretty much this.

For the money you're spending on getting that amp, you're not really getting anything.

If you like the tone you get from the amp you already have (which you should do) then spending so much money on another one is pointless, if you're then going to record straight into your PC.

By far the best thing you can do is use your existing amp and spend the money you would have otherwise spent on a different amp on some recording equipment to get a good quality.
i see.. well thing is my jcm900 head with 1936 4x12 marshall cab are in our rehearsal room, i can only play that there, it's too loud, i just want a good platform to start recording, and i know this amp is good for that, i can just buy the ht-5 head and then plug it to my 4x14 marshall cab.

about the amp modelling software... how should i use it?
guitar straight to pc?
guitar -> m-audio -> pc?
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Wow what the hell are these guys are saying, you do not essentially need a really expensive amp to record, besides there are lots of recording techniques to get amps to sound good, ht5 is a good sounding amp anyway, these guys are smoking crack.
Guitar Gear
Marlin 2 Single 1 HumBuggy
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
Marshall MG10CD - Microwaved
Line6 Spider III 30w - Put it in the oven
Quote by mansoor.h
Wow what the hell are these guys are saying, you do not essentially need a really expensive amp to record, besides there are lots of recording techniques to get amps to sound good, ht5 is a good sounding amp anyway, these guys are smoking crack.

Nobody is saying you need a really expensive amp to record.

They're saying that there's no point down-grading to an inferior amp to record, while recording with poor equipment, when the gear spent on the new (and arguably pointless) amp could be spent on getting some quality recording gear.

Get it?
well, i did get it.

but i got a serious rehearsal room, and i only move things from there when we gig.

i just wanna record, i don't care, some covers with backing tracks etc. but i don't want shitty audio.

i think blackstar ht-5 -> shure sm57 -> m-audio -> pc
will be ok. no?
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
How about using VST amp simulation?

Guitar----> M-Audio---->PC

You would go direct-in.

To be honest, IMO it would sound better then the Ht-5 mic'd.

Listen to these if you want to hear what you can do with free amp VST's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dEqbUqbmxM
http://www.youtube.com/user/fearcomplexmusic#p/u/8/sh2r7zrLmmk
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jun 13, 2010,
hmmm, i didn't want to go there, but i will try it.
don't like metal tho..
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD