Hey everyone, I've never posted on here before, but I thought I'd brag a little right now! Around where I live, we have these things called Focus Programs, which means that instead of going to regular class, you get to experience something, or do something and get 3-4 credits from it. Some people choose to go and study horses for a term (Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd want to do it either), There's one where you can learn to be a radio broadcaster, there's one where you take your 5 months and make a demo with your band - All kinds of stuff, but I chose to do guitar building.

Anyway, enough babble, I made a fairly unique-looking Fender Jazz Bass, The body's made of Swamp ash and Mahogany, and it has a maple neck and a rosewood fretboard.

We started off the program in January without experience, some of us, including myself, had no experience in a woodshop, so we started out with practice guitars, they were made of poplar, so it didn't cost the school too much, and they looked a little something like this:
This is the practice body, with the pickups routed, and the roundover finished.
(Invalid img)
Here are the pickups laid out on the unfinished practice body
(Invalid img)
This is the back of the unfinished practice body
(Invalid img)
This is the finished practice guitar
(Invalid img)

These weren't meant to be played, obviously, but just so that any mistakes we made didn't ruin our final product.

(I'm not sure how much room i have in these posts, so i'll continue in another post. Also, if the pictures dont work, let me know, i'll try to figure it out.
After the practice guitars were finished, we started on the real guitars!

This is the wood i used:

the ash,
(Invalid img)
and the mahogany
(Invalid img)

Here it is, after glue up, and after being cut out
(Invalid img)

Here it is with a few routes in it,
(Invalid img)

Here it is with some parts laid out,
(Invalid img)

and finally, the moment you've all been waiting for, here's a couple pictures of the finished bass!
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)

Thanks for looking, it plays like a beauty!
Last edited by 20cdndollars at Jun 12, 2010,
you just made me realise how much my school sucks
any way nice bass hnsmbd!
Yeah, something wrong with the pictures. Re-upload them, I'm sure its awesome.

EDIT: Just opened them in a new tab individually. Beautiful finished product my friend. Those are the kinds of bass shapes that I like. Almost inspires me to get off my lazy ass and make my own bass. Great work!
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.
Last edited by ConeShred at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by Kcintlob
Pictures aren't working for me :/

Hm, they aren't working for me either, maybe i'll try a different hosting service.

Quote by supersac
you just made me realise how much my school sucks
any way nice bass hnsmbd!

Haha, my school does suck, i had to go to another one to do this! Thanks for the compliment, although i'm not sure what hnsmbd means!
When trying to embed those pictures, you have to right-click the image and copy the image URL instead of the URL in the address bar of your browser.

Nice bass though man. I wish my school had programs like this, but they changed our woodworking/metalworking room into a large weightlifting room for the football players.
That, my friend, is pretty gangster.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by MrFndr

Nice bass though man. I wish my school had programs like this, but they changed our woodworking/metalworking room into a large weightlifting room for the football players.

I take it you live in the ghetto?
What kind of shitty school would make a weight room, rather than a wood shop. If I went to your school, no joke... I would punch the guy who thought of that in the face. Twice.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
What kind of shitty school would make a weight room, rather than a wood shop. If I went to your school, no joke... I would punch the guy who thought of that in the face. Twice.

Thats how it is at my school :/
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by blindsagacity
Thats how it is at my school :/

Wow. Am I like the only non-ghetto dwelling UGer or something?
I don't even think Kelowna has a real ghetto. It has a Middle-Class, and a High-Class.
I guess it's 'cause those poor sobs get all the money from the government.
Anyways, I'm returning the attention the the TS now.
..I was watching my death.
That's really cool. I wish my school had a wood shop. But I live in Central Africa, so whatever.
Quote by timbit2006

Haha, no, I actually live in a pretty nice town. My school puts a lot of focus on athletics though, so when it's something vs. sports, sports always wins. The funny thing is that the only sport that my school is good at, golf, doesn't benefit from the weight room at all.
Quote by timbit2006

My school puts football before everything. Our football team got in to the state finals and won like two games, the whole damn town was going insane. Our band got the highest possible award in the state that our twon hasn't received for like 35 years. Most people in the town didn't even know about it. Our Agriculture program gets awards that are only given to 5% of the programs in the country and I didn't even know that until recently.

Our school shuns anything that isn't football, basketball or baseball.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! And I'm glad my thread could be a good source of conversation on the North American (and I suppose Central African) education systems!
A) Looks good!

B) For the imageshack pictures, you need to use the "Direct Link" not the image link.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
looks good man, HNSMBD (happy new self made bass day, took me a minute to figure it out too)
no sir away a papaya war is on
yea my school changed our woodshop into an office.. sigh.. bastards... also amazing bass i definitly find it very appealing. lol