Was wondering if there are any good digital amps with high gain. All the amps i have been trying [Marshall, Orange, Mesa, Kustom] Have been valve... was just wondering if i could get like a tone of a Kustom but digital instead of valve.
Last edited by antonvrg at Jun 13, 2010,
The Ampeg vh150c is SICK, Randall also makes a few pretty solid amps
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
The only digital amplifier I can recommend for metal (or just about anything else except practice) is the Line 6 Vetta:

http://line6.com/vettaii/

It isn't cheap, but it is very good.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Why? If you liked the tone of the Kustom, why not get it? There aren't really that many digital amps out there except practice amps or Line 6 Flextones and Vettas.
Transistors will never be able to produce the same warmth and dynamics as valves. You may find something that's close, but it'll never be an exact match. Out of all the amps I've ever tried, the only ones to come home with me had valves making the sound. Good luck!
Quote by KG6_Steven
Transistors will never be able to produce the same warmth and dynamics as valves. You may find something that's close, but it'll never be an exact match. Out of all the amps I've ever tried, the only ones to come home with me had valves making the sound. Good luck!

I believe modeling amps and software will surpass tubes eventually. Pretty soon even.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Quote by KG6_Steven

AxeFx, 'nuff said.
Solid state amplifiers and Digital amplifiers are two completely different things guys.

The line 6 Vetta is a great amplifier and can be had for about $550 used with the footswitch which is absolutely needed for you to actually appreciate the convenience the vetta puts on the table.

EDIT: Axe FX can simulate the dynamic range of tubes.
The Vetta is damn dynamic as well.

A very affective way of amplification is to run the Axe-fx ultra preamp into a tube poweramp such as a Fryette or a Marshall.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by dez_cole
I believe modeling amps and software will surpass tubes eventually. Pretty soon even.

Heard this before...

I don't see tube amps going anywhere soon, some genres may just not use them as much. But some styles are going to be VERY difficult to do without feel of a tube amp. We'll see....but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote by Sputnik1
AxeFx, 'nuff said.

+effing1

But like I said...above...still not the best choice for all styles of music IMO.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by KG6_Steven

Of course, he might want digital because he doesn’t want the warmth and dynamics of tubes to begin with. If all you’re doing is playing chainsaw rhythm parts tubes are kind of pointless.
Quote by littlephil
Why? If you liked the tone of the Kustom, why not get it? There aren't really that many digital amps out there except practice amps or Line 6 Flextones and Vettas.

I like the Kustom but i saw this little metal band playing live and the amp he was using wasn't valve... through an ESP with EMG's it sounded great... I think it was a randall but im not sure what model. havn't been able to find on there website.

Does anyone know a company that make mosfet amps? [mosfet isn't a model or brand it is a type of how there built... like valve or solid state]
Last edited by antonvrg at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by antonvrg

Does anyone know a company that make mosfet amps? [mosfet isn't a model or brand it is a type of how there built... like valve or solid state]

Randall
Where's Waldo?
peavey vypyr?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt

Forgive me it was the lead 100 mosfet.
I tried one myself once and personally I though it was rubbish.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']

Forgive me it was the lead 100 mosfet.
I tried one myself once and personally I though it was rubbish.

ok now im thinking to stick with valve... i heard mosfet was good...
I like using solid state bass amplifiers with high quality compressors and gain boxes.
Try that out
Randall uses Mosfet as well in a number of their amps... G2, G3 (no longer in production but you could find in a guitar shop or somewhere used most likely) as well as their T2 and V2 amps.

Digital amps i'd recommend would be Peavey Vypyr (especially Tube version) as well as Line 6 flextones, hd147's, vetta's.
Quote by JWD32792
The Ampeg vh150c is SICK, Randall also makes a few pretty solid amps

These are analog amps.

Line 6 HD147.

And for the lulz run an Axe FX into it's effects loop.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by antonvrg
yeh im trying to get a tone like dimebag did

Dime didn't use digital amps, though.
Quote by KG6_Steven

But what if it's a digital tube amp?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
EMGs into a modelling amp sounds hideous:| all you get is a load of hum and feedback because they have nothing to push:S
TS do you mean solid state rather than digital? you can get SS amps that aren't digital ( only modelling amps are digital) have a look at randall but i wouldnt discount valves all together if i were you atm they are usually superior for most genres
Quote by Kanthras
Dime didn't use digital amps, though.

But what if it's a digital tube amp?

I know, he used solid state and valve... he used kranks and randalls.
Quote by josh_salty
EMGs into a modelling amp sounds hideous:| all you get is a load of hum and feedback because they have nothing to push:S

Lrn2volknob.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by antonvrg
I know, he used solid state and valve... he used kranks and randalls.

I'm pretty sure he never recorded with Kranks...I'd be willing to bet he didn't use them much live either
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join