So, i have been playing for about 6 months and i would love to be play anything from Black Dahlia Murder to Death to Necrophagist to Emperor. What would you guys recommend doing to become faster and more technical. My idea would be to use a metronome and just practice scales until i can to whatever speed. Then playing death/black metal should be no problem right

Haha basically i have no idea what im doing so can you guys tell me what you did to get to your level of skill. Im also wanting to gain control over my fingers so any tips on that would be great.

Thanks 'cause i really have no clue what to do

Oh, and can someone help me with metronome use, i can't seem to mentally do eighth notes
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
Last edited by Rain_In_Blood at Jun 13, 2010,
First, get a metronome and practice with it. Use it to build your timing, fluidity and speed. You'll be amazed at what such practice can do for you if you apply yourself.

For eighth notes and sixteenth notes, it is two notes and four notes respectively per beat. Start slowly and boost the tempo as you progress. It is frustrating at first but you'll be amazed at how fast you progress.

Chromatic exercises, scales and string skipping exercises will all build speed, endurance, flexibility and fluidity. Get this book:

http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=30

The exercises in it are very good and very helpful.

Practice genres of music beyond what you are used to. This will get you to think in new ways and broaden your understanding of the bass.

Finally, play with other people! Nothing will build your musical skill, chops and confidence faster or better than playing with other people. Music is at its best when it is a collaborative effort. Get out there and jam!

And when you come across someone who plays better than you or who is playing something that interests you, ask him or her to show you some things. Ask questions. The vast majority of musicians will be more than happy to help you out if you ask them.

You'll get there. Don't worry about the destination. Enjoy the journey.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by FatalGear41
First, get a metronome and practice with it. Use it to build your timing, fluidity and speed. You'll be amazed at what such practice can do for you if you apply yourself.

For eighth notes and sixteenth notes, it is two notes and four notes respectively per beat. Start slowly and boost the tempo as you progress. It is frustrating at first but you'll be amazed at how fast you progress.

Chromatic exercises, scales and string skipping exercises will all build speed, endurance, flexibility and fluidity. Get this book:

http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=30

The exercises in it are very good and very helpful.

Practice genres of music beyond what you are used to. This will get you to think in new ways and broaden your understanding of the bass.

Finally, play with other people! Nothing will build your musical skill, chops and confidence faster or better than playing with other people. Music is at its best when it is a collaborative effort. Get out there and jam!

And when you come across someone who plays better than you or who is playing something that interests you, ask him or her to show you some things. Ask questions. The vast majority of musicians will be more than happy to help you out if you ask them.

You'll get there. Don't worry about the destination. Enjoy the journey.

Thanks, i'll definately try those things and get that book when i can get the money. I actually play with a band but, well the other members (well basically member) is even less caring about speed and technicality then i am but still it works.
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
The gist of it is to just force yourself to play faster and more technical songs and exercises to a metronome. You only get better at something by practice.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I hate metronomes, but damn they work. Need a new one really, but my keyboard's one will do is til I can get money.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright