well, the title pretty much says it all, i need some of those! everyone i've ever heard from on "how to sweep" leaves this out!
guitar effects chain:
Head-cab-guitar-hands <---- how it should be!

gear:
Synyster Custom
PRS Torero
ISP decimator g string noise reduction
Marshall JVM210h
It's the same as any other muting...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
The way I do it, which I think is generally the way you're supposed to do it since I can't think of any other way, is to mute with your palm on the way down and then on the way up you allow your fingers on your left hand to touch the strings above them.

Going down is the easy part once your get the motion under control. This is one of the reasons for why you're supposed to let your hand flow from one string to another without moving your wrist to pick each string. This way just as you hit a new string, your palm touches the one before it.

Going up is trickier but basically try to lift your finger straight off and make sure you aren't plucking the string when you release it. Then you can sort of lay your fingers down a little flatter so that each note you play mutes the string above it.

This is definitely a situation where practicing slow makes a HUGE difference. I found it really difficult to get the muting down, but once you get the flow down you can make big jumps in speed, just make sure the muting is always there.
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr
The way I do it, which I think is generally the way you're supposed to do it since I can't think of any other way, is to mute with your palm on the way down and then on the way up you allow your fingers on your left hand to touch the strings above them.

Do you mean physically going down, as in towards the high strings? Or do you mean going from the highest note in the arpeggio to the lowest?

Quote by xxjschecklerxx
well, the title pretty much says it all, i need some of those! everyone i've ever heard from on "how to sweep" leaves this out!

TC, it's interesting that you would say this. Everything I know about the technique indicates that sweeping can be called an extension to the art of muting. Without the requisite muting, you're just strumming a chord, generally at or above the 12th fret. Anyone who is giving you any kind of useful advice needs to be mentioning the muting aspect of sweeping.

Here's what I do:
As I'm moving my pick downwards towards the high strings, I touch the side of my palm to the previous strings to quiet them. As I do this, I also remove my fingers from the string as I move to the next one. By un-fretting the string, I'm dampening the string's vibrations, giving me a two-fold muting technique.

As I move my pick upwards towards the lower strings, I let my picking hand's unused fingers touch the strings I just played, much like how I was using my palm earlier. Simultaneously, I'm doing the same un-fretting movement with my left hand.

In this manner, I have a two-fold muting technique that prevents almost any kind of unwanted string noise. It works even with huge amounts of gain and compression.

Here's how I recommend you practice this technique. Everyone always says to practice on a clean tone. This is good advice, but it's incomplete. In order to master muting techniques, you should do everything you can tone-wise to make muting difficult. That means turn up the gain, compress the hell out of it if you can, up the treble, etc. This will sound horrible. However, if there are any flaws in your muting technique, this will point them out, usually painfully (for your ear, anyway). That means that you can correct these mistakes and improve your muting technique.

In short, practice tempo and rhythm on a clean tone, but practice muting with a very dirty one.
I'm no where near a expert (or any good lol) at sweep picking
But I always thought you do a sort of rolling palm mute as you 'sweep' down whilst taking your finger of the note
Then 'sweep' back up, you take your finger off the note and touch the string with the side off your finger to mute it (sort of like palm muting)
Is that right? lol
Can't really explain it well, but look on youtube. Loads of videos
Last edited by Gods_Gift at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by Geldin
Do you mean physically going down, as in towards the high strings? Or do you mean going from the highest note in the arpeggio to the lowest?

When I say down I mean physically down, how the hell would you mute with your palm while sweeping up?
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr

When I say down I mean physically down, how the hell would you mute with your palm while sweeping up?

It's possible the way I hold my pick. It wouldn't be practical to do that, but it's possible. Hence my confusion.
this was really helpful guys, and damn Freepower you got some good shit! its really helpful!
guitar effects chain:
Head-cab-guitar-hands <---- how it should be!

gear:
Synyster Custom
PRS Torero
ISP decimator g string noise reduction
Marshall JVM210h