I ask for your guidance UGers. . .

I'm trying to decide between a Peavey Classic 50 for $400, or a Peavey 5150 212 for $500ish.

I play a lot of prog metal, and I use that term loosely; Mastodon is a good example. I also play a lot of blues and blues/rock (ZZ Top, SRV, etc), a lot of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, some Black Keys sort of things, and a lot of virtuoso lead stuff ala Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, David Gilmour, etc.

I'm leaning towards the 5150, but I am afraid it wont clean up at all, and will just be a high-gain monster (which is what it's for, I know). The Classic 50 would give me a wider range, with cleans and fuzz, but I don't know if it can handle the epic riffage I also desire.

My gear: Agile Reaper with EMG 81-85's, Agile Strat-knockoff, Steve Vai Jemini distortion pedal, Roland Space Echo delay

Thank you for any help in this matter.
Last edited by Skrimpled at Jun 13, 2010,
5150....they can clean up.....and it can do everything you said, and you can also get awesome lead tone, and epic riffage tone. I feel like the classic 50 is great if you only do blues/ classic rock.....but that is me
i would go for the classic 50. it should be able to handle light metal on its own (sabbath), but for mastadon, you're going to need some sort of overdrive or distortion pedal. i've never played the steve vai pedal so i cant say if that'll be good or not. something like a metal muff from EH will do everything you want and more after you learn to use it (i use mine for blues, to jazz to the heaviest metal you can think of).

the 5150, as good of an amp as it is, wont clean up well like you said. and since you're wanting some lighter stuff, and blues as well, i would avoid it and not look back. have you looked at Traynor amps? the YCV 50 (blue one) is a great amp that handles pedals beautifully as well and might be worth looking at for you
Consider the Bugera 6260 as an alternative to the 5150 but with a better clean. That said, the 5150 does clean up - I just find its clean tone somewhat bland.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
If you're good with a soldering iron you could do the bias mod (or other mods) on the 5150, that might help a bit with the cleans. Personally, I'd go with the 5150 but I'm not too sticky on cleans.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!