Have you heard of any guitarists that have very simple rigs, like only using a pedal or two or maybe even just plugging straight into an amp? Oh, and don't be a smartass, tell me who they are.
Last edited by kornfire15 at Jun 13, 2010,
lulz anyways... clapton, beck, buddy guy, malcolm/angus young, bb king, and tons of others. im sure if you googled it you could find more
Pretty much any player before the mid 70s.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I play guitar>amp>7-band eq

Thats pretty simple, right?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Only when you don't use a bazillion boosts.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Pretty much any player before the mid 70s.

^This. Pedals did not really take off until the 1980s for most guitarists. Eddie Van Halen still uses very few pedals. Jimi Hendrix had only three, if I am not mistaken.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
johnny ramone Angus young Lars Fredrickson el hefe basically alot of punk players (angus young is not punk but his rig is simple)
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Ive got 3 pedals between, with 1 of them being a tuner.

Alexi from Bodom I think plugs his guitars straight into the amp.
His signature ESPs into somekind of an ENGL.
dont even need an amp. Jokes
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

Quote by jecox13
dont even need an amp. Jokes

some people don't use amps these days, they use things like guitar rig, and run direct through the PA. (which actually, is technically an amp anyway )

If you look into the past there are more guitarists who plugged directly into their amps with no FX than there are guitarists who use any FX at all - pre-'80s, i find it harder to think of guitarists who actually used any pedals or anything regularly. off the top of my head, jimi hendrix and andy summers used multiple pedals... that's about it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
There are LOADS of guitarists that do. Although theres plenty that just go overboard.
Alot of gutiarists like to keep things simple. I couldnt say anyone though, as im not to familiar with many famous guitarist rigs.
Gear

Ibanez J custom 8420ZE
Ibanez RGA42
Ibanez RG550
RG3120 Prestige

Framus cobra
i plug straight in most of the time.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Straight in for the win.

Sometimes I use a touch of chorus on cleans and some wah for solos, but that's about the extent of my stomping.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Alexi Laiho has his ESP straight into a Marshall Im pretty sure.
ESP EC-1000 VB
Ibanez Gio
Peavey Vypyr 15w
my reverb pedal is in the loop. does that still count as plugging straight in?

i mean, a lot of amps come with reverb.
Derek Trucks plugs his SG straight into 2 Fender Super Reverbs.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Derek Trucks plugs his SG straight into 2 Fender Super Reverbs.

don't tell paul that. he thinks derek uses prs amps.
Derek has recently started using a PRS amp on stage when he's playing with the Allman Brothers, I've read. But he uses Super Reverbs with DTB.

(Invalid img)

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Its Me Again

He used to use a Lee Jackson preamp,, now he endorses ENGL.
A lot of bands I've seen do that for a live setup as having an enormous pedal board isn't very convenient on the road. Most guitarists can usually get away with a tuner, od, delay, a wah if they use it and reverb if it's not on the amp.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Its Me Again

Some kinda ENGL head... into a marshall cab. probably a 1960B
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Derek has recently started using a PRS amp on stage when he's playing with the Allman Brothers, I've read. But he uses Super Reverbs with DTB.

(Invalid img)

I have heard rumors he may be switching over full time - in interviews he's described one of his PRS amps as 'the best modern amp in the world'
Could be. I wouldn't want to take those original 65 Super Reverbs on the road, either.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86