I'm upgrading all my gear soon. Guitar, amp, pedals, etc. And there's been one tone I've been after for a while.

While I know I can't hit it spot on without the exact same rig as Jerry Cantrell, what distortion pedal would you guys suggest for an Alice in Chains type sound? Considering I'll have a G&L rampage soon, I should be able to hit it close...

A guy I know said that a Digitech Grunge might be close but I've pretty much only heard bad things about that pedal...and it seems like more of a Nirvana pedal. Half the people I've talked to say the Boss DS-1/2 are mediocre...other half say they're amazing...so I dunno.
What do you guys suggest?
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Jun 13, 2010,
I think that there wouldn't be much point, you should be able to model that tone pretty easy on the vypyr.
Quote by Tedward
I think that there wouldn't be much point, you should be able to model that tone pretty easy on the vypyr.
"getting new/better gear"
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
That's the point though. I don't ONLY play Alice in Chains, so if I had Jerry's exact setup/amps (which would cost me over 50 thousand dollars at LEAST) I'd pretty much be limiting myself...especially financially.

SO I'm asking which pedal would GENERALLY, amp aside, give someone an Alice in Chains-ish sound.

I'm talking about using the clean channel on an amp and then letting the pedal do the distortion.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Have you got a wah? I'm not sure what brand he uses though...
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
He uses a modified dunlop crybaby, and yeah I'm getting one.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
^Theres a Jerry Cantrell Signature Wah out right now by Dunlop, it looks great, but its a little pricey. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-JC95-Jerry-Cantrell-Signature-Crybaby-Wah-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-423644-i1517653.gc

I'm guessing he used his amps overdrive, since his tone is rather tubey, but there are effects layered on top of the overdrive. I'm not sure what they are, but it sounds almost like a subtle chorus flanger. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
He uses his amp's overdrive. I'd pretty much ignore dirt pedals for his tone and get a Bogner alchemist. He uses shivas and XTCs in the studio and the alchemist gets pretty close. You could also look into a peavey 6505 or its Bugera brother. Another thing you can look at is the randall MTS modular thing. There's an XTC module which should get pretty close.

But if you must get a dirt pedal, AVOID DS-1/2s or digitech grunge. They're basically line 6 spider II insane channel in a box.
Bogner Fish is what you need

But pedal wise I've seen a few people recommend a MI crunchbox but I don't know for sure if that would work. Its hard to get his sound because he has so many amps layered.
dunlop just came out with the jerry cantrell sig wah, sounds pretty good, its alittle darker than most so you get his tone, somewhat. I'd get a boogie, or maybe bugera, he uses a buncha different amps, but look at high gain amps. then tweak away on the eq
i nailed his black gives way to blue tone using a digitech rp350 (the preset named STACK), a boss eq. those into my crappy practice amp with my hamer standard and voila.
steve