Hello

Me and a friend was just discussing whether Kerry King or Jeff Hannemans original JCM800s (The amps they started out with in Slayer and to my knowledge still uses) where modded?

I have been researching the web the last hour and a half without any results.

P.s. sorry for my bad English.
They just boosted their amps and used EQ's to boost the hell out of their mids.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
As far as I know, they're not. 800s vary in tone to some extent though, I imagine King and Hanneman tried a bunch and picked the most agressive ones. At least King also uses an EQ pedal (and possibly other gizmos) with his amps. I figure Hanneman will somehow boost his amp, too.
Nothing but an EQ and a noise gate! his signature amps are basic 800s With an EQ and Built in noise gate.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
It's possible one of Kerry's heads was modded. When he brought out the 2203KK head with Marshall he said it was based on a head he owned called "The beast", and I believe he said it was modded in some way, although my memory is quite hazy.
Kerry King reckoned "The Beast" was just a standard 800 that was touched by satan. The KK signature has a tone that replicates the settings he uses on his eq.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 13, 2010,
All big amps used by 'rockstars' will have been modified some way or the other... the sound enginners and guitar techs will have edited them all slightly to get an original tone
Quote by Xerius
All big amps used by 'rockstars' will have been modified some way or the other... the sound enginners and guitar techs will have edited them all slightly to get an original tone

yeah... all you need to do is find out what they did and then do it to your own amp.. or even better compare what a few guitarists have done then from what they have done make one really nice one.
Quote by Xerius

This isn't certain. Lots of rockstars would rather be able to find a replacement on short notice.

Quote by Cathbard
Kerry King reckoned "The Beast" was just a standard 800 that was touched by satan. The KK signature has a tone that replicates the settings he uses on his eq.

This.
When Marshall looked at Kerry King's favourite amp they discovered it was a stock JCM800, with some of the tolerances out in just the ways that work well for Slayer. King played JCM800s before he got it, The Beast is just his bottom bitch.

Noise gate + 10 band EQ + wah + JCM800 = you can play guitar in Slayer.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i thought the "beast" section of Kerry's amp added a load of gain on top as well as his EQ settings?? i don't know if i'm right thats just what i've heard especially when i played one
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
i thought the "beast" section of Kerry's amp added a load of gain on top as well as his EQ settings?? i don't know if i'm right thats just what i've heard especially when i played one

'The Beast' the signature model adds a front end mid boost before v1.

That's where the extra gain and the EQ settings come from.

It also adds a noise gate.

'The Beast' the amp Kerry King owns is just a stock JCM800 with the tubes swapped.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jun 13, 2010,