Hi. Um, first of all, sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. This seemed like the logical place to go.

Recently I've been listening to Dream Theater - Panic Attack a lot (great song ), and after getting the bass tab I realised it was on a 6 string. I only have (2) 4-string basses, and reckon even if I wanted to get another, my parents wouldn't let me. And it seems a little silly.

However, after looking at the guitar pro tab, there seems to be no notes too high and only a few notes too low. i.e. There's a few parts of the song playing open/1st/2nd/3rd frets on the B string.

Without having to get new strings specifically for a 5 string and restring, can I *safely* tune my E-string down to B? If not, I've gone down to a C and that's sounded fine. Does it really make that much of a difference to the sound if you play a few notes a semitone off?

Either way, I just hope that retuning the E-string doesn't make a load of the notes impossible to play.

Thanks.

-Mark.
You can safely do it, but it won't sound to good. Why not try playing the notes up an octave higher?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I'm not familiar with the song, but playing a 5th off or an octave up would be better than a semitone or 2.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Okay.

Just for clarification, and my lacking music theory: by a 5th off, you mean 5 notes off? (Either that, or the fifth of the chord?)

I found a 4-string tab from somewhere, and the notes that were unplayable seem to be shifted a lot (I take it an octave).

Thanks for the very quick replies.

-Mark.

<------ I love Dream Theater!

Play it a fourth up.. this is just 1 string up in standard tuning. So for a note that's written on the E string, play it on the A string... yeah it won't sound exactly right but you will at least be able to play it in one way.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Just for clarification, because no one else has mentioned this in response to your OP: never play anything a semitone off. It's the worst possible note for you to choose: eg, don't play a C# because it's 'close enough' to a C. It doesn't work that way

If it was me, I'd go for the octave up, but sometimes you can find a fourth or fifth sounds good.

EDIT: And I don't mean raise the whole thing an octave, just the notes that you can't reach.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by TheCommieDuck
Okay.

Just for clarification, and my lacking music theory: by a 5th off, you mean 5 notes off? (Either that, or the fifth of the chord?)

I found a 4-string tab from somewhere, and the notes that were unplayable seem to be shifted a lot (I take it an octave).

Thanks for the very quick replies.

-Mark.

5th of the major scale. so the 5th of E would be B and the 5th A would be E etc.

As I (and other people said) just going an octave up would be easier, I was just suggesting something else to play around with.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Okay. Think I've got it.

Thanks everyone for the replies, appreciated.

Guess the next step is attempting to get some kind of speed on it.

-Mark.