Hi everyone, I am considering a new guitar, and several people I've talked to have recommended getting a Fender made in Japan. But when I look online and in stores, I can't find any Fender Japan. Whatever happened to it? Thanx in advance.
Quote by Dempsey68
it's still around it's just poor quality so not worth buying.

edit: with the help of google i found a site http://www.mijfenders.com/frmStrat.htm

you funny guy.

TS, they still make Fenders in Japan, they just mainly sell them in the Japanese market. They stopped selling them outside of Japan because they got too good, there was no point Fender having two competing top-of-the-line ranges so they introduced the Mexican Fenders as a cheaper option.

Japanese Fenders are as good as USA Fenders.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You can get them in the UK with relative ease. I've heard it's much harder in the USA.

Fender have done some very strange things regarding their guitars, but limiting sales of Japanese Fenders made sense. As rightly noted above Fender Japan made guitars that were on par with their more expensive American counterparts. Fender had to put a stop to this so they sell them only in Japan.

You can get them over here in England though. People say that there's a difference between Japanese Fenders that are for export/domestic markets. Apparently this is a lie. They keep their value better than others because of their rarity and the only downside is the pickups in my Jag are awful. Often the Japanese Fenders are fitted with USA pickups though.

Quote by Dempsey68
it's still around it's just poor quality so not worth buying.

If not heard of/noticed any fall in quality...?
They sell lower end Japanese Fenders as well as the quality ones. I dunno if they're MIJ, or if they're made in the same places as Squier, however the general consensus I found when I looked into them about a year ago, was that the entry level models were good quality, but shit parts.
^ The price range of Japanese Fenders ranges from about 60,000yen to 100,000yen or more. That means their lower end models are about £450. That's not in the same ballpark as a Squier.

TS, there's lots of interest in Japanese Fenders, if you google them you can find websites/forums that are almost exclusively about that stuff. You'll find what you want there.
Quote by steven seagull

you funny guy.

TS, they still make Fenders in Japan, they just mainly sell them in the Japanese market. They stopped selling them outside of Japan because they got too good, there was no point Fender having two competing top-of-the-line ranges so they introduced the Mexican Fenders as a cheaper option.

Japanese Fenders are as good as USA Fenders.

thank you and agreed.

also a few models are available in the US. The 12 string strat is MIJ, as is some of the Jaguar guitars and some of the basses. Very high quality stuff.

but otherwise they are sold outside of the US for the reasons Mark listed.

also, during the 80's while fender was moving between Fullerton and Corona, as many as 80% of the guitars were MIJ. The early Vintage RI guitars were made there and surprised Fender USA with the quality.

and on the used market they go cheap. i got my MIJ '62 RI strat for under $500, and i'd rather have it than the MIA standard stuff. I'd have to spend $2k to get a better strat new imo. ymmv

also MIJ fenders are made at the Fugi-jitsu plant that makes the high end ibanez pretige and signature guitars, esp and esp signature guitars, gretch, yamaha and other high end models. so consider what else they are making there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 13, 2010,
i always thought the export ones were the lower end models with basswood bodies. the non-export are higher-end models with teh "correct" woods, better electronics/pickups/hardware etc. so there is a difference, i think. Assuming there actually is such a thing as "export" and "non-export" and they're not just different ranges
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ippon
http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/

It'll tell you which models are Basswood, Alder, or Ash.

pity it's all in japanese, for us non-japanese speaking/reading people

but yeah you do occasionally get japanese fenders if you look out for them - i managed to get the last japanese fender a shop by me had - it's a '62 jazzmaster reissue. great quality, i just like my MIM tele better for some reason
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by Ippon
Click on each model!

well i apologise for you know.. not being able to read anything on the website to be able to know where to click

however i did mange to find it with a few random clicks
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 13, 2010,
I thought people just clicked when in doubt.

ストラトキャスター Strat
テレキャスター Tele
ジャガー Jag
ジャズマスター JazzMaster
ムスタング Mustang

プレシジョンベース PBass
ジャズベース Jazz Bass
ジャガーベース Jag-based
ムスタングベース Mustang

Fender still maintains a factory in Japan that produces a few high-end models, but most of the ones available in the U.S.A. seem to be basses. The Geddy Lee Jazz bass and the Aerodyne Jazz and Precision basses are made in Japan.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Its because fender pissed themselves when they compared the quality and value for money of MIJ/CIJ fenders to the MIAs, so theyre no longer exported to the US (Or very sparsely exported, you wont generally find them from regular US fender dealers) and are now a seperate company, operated by some company i cant remember for the life of me rather than FMIC.

Of course, you can find them every now and again (Alot more often in the UK), but you're usually paying a good portion of the price to import costs, but it still usually works out better value for money than MIAs.

THe more you knowww.
Quote by Duv
google the page, then select 'translate this page' and it's magically in english.

alternatively, if it's the same as the last time i was there, just move your mouse over it and the english will appear at the bottom left of your screen.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?