Poll: What is the highest form of art?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is the highest form of art?
Drawing/Painting
5 4%
Theater/Opera
1 1%
Dance
1 1%
Music
30 23%
Literature
5 4%
Filmmaking
6 5%
Architecture
3 2%
Sculpting
1 1%
Photography
2 2%
art forms can't be organized into a hierarchy
76 58%
Voters: 130.
My position on the matter is that art forms can't be organized into a kind of hierarchy. The highest form of art is whatever an individual subjectively values the most.

I think experts in neuroscience would probably say that music is the highest form of art based on their studies. Although I think that we still don't understand a whole lot about the human mind, emotions and their correlation to be able to say something conclusive regarding the subject.

Your opinion?

(note that the poll is just secondary. it would be nice to have a lengthy discussion about this)
No.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Art is creation, and we create with every breath we take. There are no rules for anything. Everything is art.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
There is no 'highest' form of art. Though there are plenty of pompous douche bags who will say otherwise there are also plenty of pompous douche bags who will say as I have. Really it's a matter of personal opinion but the mere fact that everyone will have a different opinion is evidence towards those of us who place it all on level ground.
I am me. Live with it.
^*groan*

edit: @architecture comment
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Literature, clearly.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Quote by Oddsbodkins
Architecture. The tallest painting has to be what, a few metres?

Science...space exploration ftw
The highest form of art is mime.

/thread

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
I believe that everyone perceives different forms of art differently. As in, lots of people may get great feelings out of music, but not enjoy visual art, or dance.

Also, it's not just the people that perceive the art, but the artists themselves. To the artist, he/she would have a certain type of art that to them, is the highest form, that affects them most, gives them the best way of displaying their emotions.

I am so glad we live in a world with such diverse and wonderful artforms.
Photography is beating literature?

What the ****, Pit?
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Whatever touches you the most. For me that'd be Music/Poetry.
Tell me who's that writin'...
ITT: Poets getting flowery and homosexual.

OT: I would say Music, Painting and Sculpting are very high up there.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

I'm with TS in that one media of art can't be considered "higher" than others, but that people will have a preference on the one that speaks most to you.

For me, that'd be video games.

(SCREW YOU EBERT, YES THEY ARE)

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
A picture can paint a thousand words.

A thousand words of great literature can write far more than an image.

For instance, the ***** scene in the book american psycho is so unbelievably graphic that I can imagine a few hours long scene of torture.

I'd say there isn't really a highest form of art, since they're all pretty vastly and fundamentally different.

Put a gun to my head and I'd probably say music due to the sheer amount of talent and time spent all congregated in one place.

Like this kind of stuff
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Last edited by BeastlyBassist at Jun 13, 2010,
music. not everyone is really into paintings & artwork, not everyone likes reading, but everyone loves music
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Elitist prick.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
This is the epitome of art:

EDIT:

Quote by shredmeiser101
music. not everyone is really into paintings & artwork, not everyone likes reading, but everyone loves music

Sort of true, but a lot of people who love music just listen to popcrap on the radio and don't actually explore music.

My serious answer is literature or music. I'd like to say visual art, but I feel like the line's been blurred between what's considered true visual art and what isn't.
MATTERHORN
Last edited by Doctor Matthews at Jun 13, 2010,
i went with music, but then again as a musician i am quite biased

EDIT:

Quote by Doctor Matthews

Sort of true, but a lot of people who love music just listen to popcrap on the radio and don't actually explore music.

which believe it or not is music.
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Last edited by lespaul1216 at Jun 13, 2010,
I agree art can't be organized into a hierachy, but for the sake of making this somewhat interesting, I'm going to say music, and not because this is a music forum and I am a musician, but because music is the most fundamental means of human communication IMO. All other art forms are restricted in some ways, for example visual art is restricted to colors, sculpting is restricted to shapes. Music has no boundaries, is the most abstract, and is the most subjective. It is the highest form of art.

Alot of those other forms exist within the sense of sight alone, and have to vie for dominance over one another. Music covers one entire sense by it self and one can use their imagination to transform it into other sensual experiences.
Last edited by EnemyWolf at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by Doctor Matthews
It actually isn't.

i honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by lespaul1216
i honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not

Thats what the sarcastic eye rolling is for, gosh

I hope... They'd better not be serious

Quote by DeadlyIllness

[that guy again] gets the drum Solo and Title King of the UG.

*Drum Solo*

Steam: yintonyinton
PSN: yintonyinton
That eye thing makes no sense. try instead, and then people understand eye rolling is more like 'I can't be bothered to explain what this sentence or smiley means'

There's art forms that are more widely recognized but i can't say one is greater than the others
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
You can't order them. It's far too subjective. However, literature is the one that has had the most massive effect on human culture.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
There is no 'highest' form, it's all subjective.

02theEdit:

Quote by shredmeiser101

I know many people who couldn't care less about music.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by boycew02 at Jun 13, 2010,
Opera and theatre are hugely different things.

It's ridiculous to consider one art form being greater than another. But, the result of so many people choosing music, probably because it's their favourite, is so predictable.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Rolling good joints.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.