Page 1 of 2
Hey guys.
I'm new to guitars overall. And I'd like to be able to play Electric Guitar and Bass, and some people I know that have played for a long time told me it'd be best to start with guitar and move onto bass when I'm good on guitar.

So I'm looking for a good versatile electric guitar and amp, etc, for around £400.

Imagine that I'm giving you the money to buy me some great stuff for the money.

Thanks.
-DreadAlert-
Theres 100000000000000 threads around this topic, But why not.

What sort of music are into?
What colour is your hair?
Are you into religion or any cults?
Scrunch or fold?
Er..

I'm into anything with rhythm. From RnB to funk to metal (but no cannibal corpse crazyness).
My hair is long and auburn.
I'm an atheist, so religion/cultism is a no-no.
..Fold.
Where do you live? If there are any guitar stores in your area, I suggest you go check them out. See what guitars are within your budget, try them out, see what YOU like and think feels good in your hand. If you can gather up a few choices like this, it'll be easier for us to recommend which one to get.

As for the amp, I'd say that a Peavey Vypyr is pretty much the best cheap amp on the market at the moment. It sounds decent and it's damn versatile. If you're just practicing and not playing with a band, I'd say that a 15-watt version is plenty big.

Hope this helps you out, man.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
There are a good few instrument shops in my city, so I guess I could go and look.
But so far from looks only, I like Jackson, ESP LTD, Gibson and Ibanez guitars.
Some good advice here. With your budget, you're probably looking at ESP or Ibanez. You probably won't get a Gibson for that much, so look at Epiphone instead - Epiphone is owned by Gibson and most of their guitars look the same.

As far as the guitar/bass thing... Stick with guitar. It takes more talent to play guitar, at least in my opinion. Anyone can play one note at a time...
Yup. Jackson, Ibanez, LTD are what I'd suggest. They have a lot of models that would be well within your price range and they're good for the money. ESP and Gibson are way, way too expensive, though (even though LTD guitars are techincally a part of ESP - they make affordable models based on ESP guitars, the same way that Epiphone makes affordable version of Gibson guitars).
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Quote by KG6_Steven

As far as the guitar/bass thing... Stick with guitar. It takes more talent to play guitar, at least in my opinion. Anyone can play one note at a time...

Bass is easy, is it? Ever heard of Les Claypool, Flea, John Entwistle, John Myung, Steve Harris... I assure you, there is plenty of virtuosity going on in the bass world as well, and just as guitar playing can be both very simple or very technical and difficult, so can bass <:
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
Quote by DreadAlert
Are Jackson any good? I know Kirk Hammett plays one and Metallica are one of my favourite bands ever.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/85216 - I really like the looks of that.

Do you know any specific ESP's or Ibanez's that are great for around £200-300?

Actually, Kirk Hammet plays ESP. The Jackson in the link is a pretty good guitar for the money. You can find loads of guitars on the internet. Go to Thomann's brittish page, search for "LTD" or "Ibanez" in the electric guitars category, and sort them by price in ascending order <:
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
Quote by DreadAlert
I just found one that I think looks and sounds GREAT.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_szr520tgb.htm
I love that grey finish and the sound samples.
If you like something, try to see if any of your local stores have the model in stock so you could try before you buy. It's important that it feels good in your hand.

I haven't got any personal experience with the SZR models, but you can't go wrong with Ibanez if you ask me - just steer off of the Ibanez Gio -series models. They're cheap but they're bad.
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
id look into somthing like a roland cube, vox VT or peavey vypyr series amps as they are great bang for your buck and gives you plenty of spare cash for a guitar as most of the 15 models are <£100 giving you £300 left for a guitar. people may say go tube but when starting out versatility in your equipment is a great thing to have.

from personal experience when first starting out a nice playing and well setup guitar makes a lot of difference. get yourself down a guitar shop and just play with the guitars, even with no playing experience you should get a feel of what feels right and any decent guitar employee should be able to show you what a guitar/amp is capable of in the right hands.

also just personal opinion but avoid floating bridges as when starting they wont be of much use and will hinder more then help, also when you dont know what your doing they are a royal pain in the arse.
Quote by DreadAlert
I just found one that I think looks and sounds GREAT.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_szr520tgb.htm
I love that grey finish and the sound samples.

Don't buy it based on sound samples played on your computer speakers. It won't sound the same when you get it home. Computer speakers are tinny and cheap and will not cover the same dynamic range of even the worst amp. As already suggested, check out your local guitar store and play it for yourself. If you don't know how to play, take a friend with you who does. If that's not possible, find a salesman who can help you. Explain your situation and let them guide you. Most salesman will honestly help you and not sell you something you don't need.
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Bass is easy, is it? Ever heard of Les Claypool, Flea, John Entwistle, John Myung, Steve Harris... I assure you, there is plenty of virtuosity going on in the bass world as well, and just as guitar playing can be both very simple or very technical and difficult, so can bass <:

That response was really more sarcasm than anything else. Just perpetuating the love/hate relationship between guitar and bass players.

Sort of like saying any monkey can play a bass. You are right, though. There are some talented bass players out there.
Quote by KG6_Steven

You're joking right? Jesus...

TS, definitely check out shops in your area. If you find certain guitars you like, we can narrow it down.
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
It seems like a solid guitar, but since you're a beginner, you'll probably want to stay away from a Floyd Rose style bridge. They can be real pains if you don't know how to use them right.
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
Anyone have any recommendations from experience?
Any good ones in the price range?
Its kinda hard for me to get out to play them because I'm very busy with things at the mo.
Theres just too many to choose from >< I can't differentiate good/bad.
Quote by gtanny
id look into somthing like a roland cube, vox VT or peavey vypyr series amps as they are great bang for your buck and gives you plenty of spare cash for a guitar as most of the 15 models are <£100 giving you £300 left for a guitar. people may say go tube but when starting out versatility in your equipment is a great thing to have.

Agreed.
Roland Cubes, VOX VTs or Peavey Vypyrs are great amps for beginners. Plenty of amp models and effects to play with, and learn how each setting affects your sound.

As far as guitars go, i'd suggest a Yamaha Pacifica 112v.
(A Pacifica 212VQM would be even better, if you can find one).

It has two single-coil pickups in the neck and middle positions, and a humbucker on the bridge.
It's really versatile, sounds pretty good, and is a well-built, reliable guitar.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by DreadAlert
Yeah I can get a Pacifica 212VQM i think.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/86855
Trans Black looks awesome.

How's the 212VFM? I prefer the finish on it.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/86856

Pretty much the same thing, different finish.

I say go for it.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by DreadAlert
I've also heard really good things about this: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/dx-10d/1216

My friend has one and apparantly its amazing. - What exactly are the negatives about a Floyd Rose Bridge?

You can have tuning instability if you don't know how to properly set up your guitar.

But that's something every guitar player should learn to do.

EDIT: also, people often complain that it's a big hassle to change tunings with them.
I've borrowed a couple FR-loaded guitars before, but since i always use the same tunings, i never had to change the tuning on them. So, i can't really comment on that.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 13, 2010,
I heard Ibanez S470's are very good. They're a tiny bit over-budget, but they look and sound fantastic. They don't have a FR bridge either. Love the wavy inlay.
First guitar, eh? With no experience with guitars before?

Buy the one that you like the looks of most.

But if I could recommend one, a fender MIM stratocaster with a humbucker in the bridge would suit you well, according to your tastes.
Quote by SlayingDragons
First guitar, eh? With no experience with guitars before?

Buy the one that you like the looks of most.

But if I could recommend one, a fender MIM stratocaster with a humbucker in the bridge would suit you well, according to your tastes.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-60s-strat/1043
That one? Its kinda expensive considering I have to buy an amp and cable and strap and everything with it..

Also, Dream Theater <3
Quote by DreadAlert
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-60s-strat/1043
That one? Its kinda expensive considering I have to buy an amp and cable and strap and everything with it..

Also, Dream Theater <3

Nope.

He was talking about a Fender Stratocaster MIM (Made In Mexico), with the pickup configuration of the Yamaha Pacifica (2 single coils and 1 humbucker).
The one you linked to has 3 single-coils (not so versatile).

I still think a Yamaha Pacifica 212 is your best bet.
You can play almost any style you want with that guitar.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
is there any reason to get a 212 over a 112? i'm guessing the flame is just a veneer, and it's quite a bit more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Id go with a fender strat or an ibanez just because they have very cheap bundles which have the guitar, amp, strings, etc. all in the bundle and its very cheap. not to mention how versitile they are. go with something versitile and easy to play. dont go with a BC rich like i did with my first guitar. it was annoying to play to my full potential being that it is not a good beginner guitar
Quote by Dave_Mc
is there any reason to get a 212 over a 112? i'm guessing the flame is just a veneer, and it's quite a bit more.

I could swear that the pickups on the 212 are better... (But i may be wrong, it's been a while since i borrowed my friend's Pacificas.)

Quote by adamchafee
Id go with a fender strat or an ibanez just because they have very cheap bundles which have the guitar, amp, strings, etc. all in the bundle and its very cheap. not to mention how versitile they are. go with something versitile and easy to play.

In those cheap bundles, usually both the guitars and amps are low-quality stuff, that most people want to upgrade in a matter of months.

And as far as versatility goes, many of those packs are anything but versatile.

Example: most of those packs come with a SSS Strat (nice guitars, if they are from the Affinity series, but not that versatile [and i'd stay away from Squier Bullet Strats]), and a Fender Frontman amp (not versatile at all, and only the clean channel is useable).

As far as reliability, quality and versatility for a begginer goes, in my opinion the best option is a HSS guitar (like a HSS MIM Fender Strat or a Yamaha Pacifica) and a good modelling amp (like the Roland Cube, VOX ValveTronix or Peavey Vypyr).
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by Linkerman
I could swear that the pickups on the 212 are better... (But i may be wrong, it's been a while since i borrowed my friend's Pacificas.)

In those cheap bundles, usually both the guitars and amps are low-quality stuff, that most people want to upgrade in a matter of months.

And as far as versatility goes, many of those packs are anything but versatile.

Example: most of those packs come with a SSS Strat (nice guitars, if they are from the Affinity series, but not that versatile [and i'd stay away from Squier Bullet Strats]), and a Fender Frontman amp (not versatile at all, and only the clean channel is useable).

As far as reliability, quality and versatility for a begginer goes, in my opinion the best option is a HSS guitar (like a HSS MIM Fender Strat or a Yamaha Pacifica) and a good modelling amp (like the Roland Cube, VOX ValveTronix or Peavey Vypyr).

that's possible, i haven't even tried a 212, I just read that it was the 112 with a flamed top (veneer?). If it's actually a better guitar, too, then fair enough.

I agree wholheartedly about the packs and about get a fat (or HSH) strat or superstrat along with a modeller for a beginner.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KG6_Steven
As already suggested, check out your local guitar store and play it for yourself. If you don't know how to play, take a friend with you who does. If that's not possible, find a salesman who can help you. Explain your situation and let them guide you. Most salesman will honestly help you and not sell you something you don't need.

Sorry, but that's not true whatsoever. The only thing salesman are good at is selling you shit gear, and telling you how amazing it is.

TS, be wary of salespeople - they want your money, not what's good for you.

Most of the time, anyway.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ agreed. not all salespeople are bad, but it pays to assume they are until proven otherwise.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KG6_Steven
Some good advice here. With your budget, you're probably looking at ESP or Ibanez. You probably won't get a Gibson for that much, so look at Epiphone instead - Epiphone is owned by Gibson and most of their guitars look the same.

Wrong on so many levels.

As far as picking out a setup, check out Epiphone, Squire, Schecter, ESP LTD, and Ibanez. All make great guitars for cheap, and those cheap guitars are even cheaper used. Squire gets a lot of negativity, and although mine hasn't worked in well over a year, they do make some good instruments. As far as amps, I'd look at a Line 6 Spider III (not IV) or a Vox Valvetronix.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Jun 14, 2010,
Any other good versatile suggestions from anyone?
I'm not a big fan of the Yamaha's looks tbh.
Any versatile Jacksons or Ibanez? Or ESP LTD or Schecter.
Anything.
ibanez art100
im going to buy my first guitar soon and im pretty sure im going to get it
after alot of research....
alot.
trust me.
a great option.
portland percussion sell em with a hard case for 360 free shipping
Page 1 of 2