Hey guys..

Just after some new strings for my acoustic guitar.. I havnt played in a while and wanna pick it back up but my guitar hasnt been restrung in months and theres been a bit of build up lol.. so what are a good set of strings? I play usually in standard or half step down..

Thanks
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

All in all, a very productive day.
i use elixers. just be careful tuning up the G.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
okay I might give them a try.. do you recommend a certain gauge?
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

All in all, a very productive day.
depends what's on your guitar now.

if you don't know, have the tech at the guitar store use a gauge to see.

especially on an acoustic, it's important not to mess with factory setup, if you're happy with your intonation and action.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I always use Martin Marquis XL .10 gauge.... Nice bright sound that I love. If you're starting back up, though, you might want a heavier gauge
D'addario strings are junk IMO. They don't sound spangly and fresh even when new.

Elixir do produce great strings but you do pay for it, and expect it. If you have the money it's well worth investing in them.

At the opposite end of the price scale are Martin strings - I just put some Martin 0.011s on my acoustic and thus far they seem brilliant. Nice feel, good tone, haven't gone dull immediately (like D'addarios).

Depends on what you want to spend really. I've never tried coated strings other than Elixirs so I can't really comment on them. Taste and price are the determinative factors.

Oh and as far as string gauge is concerned, it's a matter of taste. If you feel there's too much tension with what you've got now then go to a lighter gauge string.

If you have a pair of calipers you can work out what gauge is on at the moment. Changing string gauge may require a truss rod adjustment. Acoustics seem more responsive to changes in string gauge, in my experience, than electrics. If you know what you're doing then do it yourself, if not take it to a tech who can do it in seconds. There's much greater risk of something going horribly wrong on acoustics than solidbodies as well.

If it still has stock strings on, they are probably 0.012s but check.
Last edited by Duv at Jun 13, 2010,