Page 1 of 3
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has awarded contracts to Lockheed Martin and Teledyne Scientific & Imaging to develop new guided bullets and rifles that can fire them. Once completed, the new weapons would allow shooters to actively control the flight path of the bullets they fire. They could compensate for changes in the weather or air density and also effectively fire from more secure and covert locations.

http://thefutureofthings.com/news/6154/guided-bullets-under-development.html

sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
Seems impossible to me.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Kind of like the rocket launcher in Half Life 2 then.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Thats insane. I wonder how the guidance system within the bullet will withstand the force that would be put onto it apon firing...
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
finally, I'll have fall camo in no time!
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012

Guided bullets? Sounds like BS to me. No way would information for these be allowed to be published on the internet. Doesn't sound possible anyway. Itmust be really hard to change the course of something moving at thousands of miles per hour.

What are they going to do next, recreate the entire weapons catalogue of Half Life?
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by BeefWellington

Guided bullets? Sounds like BS to me. No way would information for these be allowed to be published on the internet. Doesn't sound possible anyway. Itmust be really hard to change the course of something moving at thousands of miles per hour.

Actually, it's really easy to change the course of something moving that fast. The problem is doing it accurately and in a controlled manner. Heck, most missiles go waaay faster than bullets. For example, this bitch goes mach 4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-120_AMRAAM.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Awesome. Now I can destroy the fusebox when I come across electrified floors.

You ain't so special now Snake, you dick.

Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
What a waste of money.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Kanthras
Actually, it's really easy to change the course of something moving that fast. The problem is doing it accurately and in a controlled manner. Heck, most missiles go waaay faster than bullets. For example, this bitch goes mach 4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-120_AMRAAM.

Yes but how will you control something that spins as well?
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Let's say they do develop this system despite all the problems people have been presenting. What human will have the reflexes to control a bullet in real time?
Quote by Gyroscope
Yes but how will you control something that spins as well?

Most missiles spin too.
Quote by piop
Let's say they do develop this system despite all the problems people have been presenting. What human will have the reflexes to control a bullet in real time?

Bullets can take a while to hit at great distances. I bet snipers would love to be able to steer their bullets.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Last edited by Kanthras at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by Kanthras

Missiles are big enough for you to stick thrusters and fuel and whatever else required to change the course easily, accurately and fast enough. Bullets are much smaller, and have much smaller ranges than missiles, so you'll have a lot less time to do anything.

None of which will work.

Good.

How does it know what target to choose when someone is taken hostage, or when the family dog is standing right next to that dangerous rabid druglord?
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Brace yourself for endless guided bullet rage.
Quote by BeefWellington
Missiles are big enough for you to stick thrusters and fuel and whatever else required to change the course easily, accurately and fast enough. Bullets are much smaller, and have much smaller ranges than missiles, so you'll have a lot less time to do anything.

Don't need thrusters or fuel to change course. Small fins would be enough. They've already got fin stabilized slugs for shotguns, now they just need to cram some actuators and electronics in a .50 calibre bullet. Kinda tight yeah, but looks like they might pull it off (and .50s are pretty large as far as small arms bullets go).
Quote by The_Casinator
How does it know what target to choose when someone is taken hostage, or when the family dog is standing right next to that dangerous rabid druglord?
It seems to be user operated. So mr. sniper would probably know.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras

I disagree with this word.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Kanthras
Don't need thrusters or fuel to change course. Small fins would be enough. They've already got fin stabilized slugs for shotguns, now they just need to cram some actuators and electronics in a .50 calibre bullet. Kinda tight yeah, but looks like they might pull it off (and .50s are pretty large as far as small arms bullets go).
It seems to be user operated. So mr. sniper would probably know.

.50 cals are huge, yeah, but wouldn't you have to sacrifice some of the gunpowder or something to make room for all these eletronics. And these electronics would have to by tiny, as would the fins. I just don't think this is true. I'm a naturally skeptical person

None of which will work.

Good.

Quote by Todd Hart
I disagree with this word.

You're probably right, I guess I was primarily looking at air-to-air and surface-to-air missiles.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by BeefWellington
.50 cals are huge, yeah, but wouldn't you have to sacrifice some of the gunpowder or something to make room for all these eletronics. And these electronics would have to by tiny, as would the fins. I just don't think this is true. I'm a naturally skeptical person

I don't think you'd need large fins, and electronics are pretty tiny these days. Of course, they'll have to take the room from somewhere, but I think it could work. I understand your scepticism, though. But they've got this kind of stuff for cannons already, it's just a matter of downscaling.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
I don't think you'd need large fins, and electronics are pretty tiny these days. Of course, they'll have to take the room from somewhere, but I think it could work. I understand your scepticism, though. But they've got this kind of stuff for cannons already, it's just a matter of downscaling.

Downscaling to this degree would take some serious engineering. Bullets are already built to be perfectly aerodynamic, to fit their purpose and do it impeaccbly every time. Messing with the delicate physics of something like this ain't no simple feat.

Damn, this concept is a mindfuck.

None of which will work.

Good.

I wonder how long before some kid shoots one of those things and accidentally guides it to boomerang around and hit themselves?
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by BeefWellington
Downscaling to this degree would take some serious engineering. Bullets are already built to be perfectly aerodynamic, to fit their purpose and do it impeaccbly every time. Messing with the delicate physics of something like this ain't no simple feat.

Damn, this concept is a mindfuck.

Well, to be fair, they don't have to perfectly formed if they have a good guidance system.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

The problem isn't getting the electronic small enough, hell that's a piece of piss. The problem is scaling them down and retaining enough strength to not be completely destroyed when the bullet is fired. For example; fired from a Barrett M82, the muzzle velocity of the projectile is 850 m/s, now the projectile travelled from 0, to 850 m/s in 73.7cm. That's a ridiculous acceleration of the bullet (yeah I was going to work it out and then though, **** it, life's too short), designing electronic small enough to fit inside the bullet, whilst retaining the bullets mass, and making them strong enough to survive the ejection would be pretty hard. Not to mention the size of whatever device they're using to communicate with the bullet and the power the on-board computers would need to be able to evaluate the change in course and change the fins in the few seconds from the bullet leaving the barrel to impact.

Also, how would a human be able to guide the bullet, given that it's only going to be a few seconds from launch to impact? Or is it just being used in a similar way to a beam-rider missile, the sniper just keeps the enemy in the crosshair?
But considering how fast bullets travel, how can a person possibly use a remote control to change where if moves in that period of time? I call bullshit on this one.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Most likely using the zero in the sight on what you want to hit and the electronics will control the bullet to where you want.
Quote by Todd Hart
The problem isn't getting the electronic small enough, hell that's a piece of piss. The problem is scaling them down and retaining enough strength to not be completely destroyed when the bullet is fired. For example; fired from a Barrett M82, the muzzle velocity of the projectile is 850 m/s, now the projectile travelled from 0, to 850 m/s in 73.7cm. That's a ridiculous acceleration of the bullet (yeah I was going to work it out and then though, **** it, life's too short), designing electronic small enough to fit inside the bullet, whilst retaining the bullets mass, and making them strong enough to survive the ejection would be pretty hard. Not to mention the size of whatever device they're using to communicate with the bullet and the power the on-board computers would need to be able to evaluate the change in course and change the fins in the few seconds from the bullet leaving the barrel to impact.

Idunno, silicon's pretty sturdy. Maybe they'll even make the bullet/cartridge longer to pack in the extra goods. They didn't say anything about Browning .50 cal, just .50.

Also, a few seconds is pretty long if your brain runs at several hundred million hertz.

Also, how would a human be able to guide the bullet, given that it's only going to be a few seconds from launch to impact? Or is it just being used in a similar way to a beam-rider missile, the sniper just keeps the enemy in the crosshair?

I'm guessing it is, else it just doesn't make sense. Imagine having some sort of X-Box controller on your sniper rifle to guide your bullet.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Imagine having some sort of X-Box controller on your sniper rifle to guide your bullet.

DO WANT!

Or the Spotter could have the controller. See you haven't thought this through at all, it's perfectly reasonable.
Quote by fearofthemark
But considering how fast bullets travel, how can a person possibly use a remote control to change where if moves in that period of time? I call bullshit on this one.

Presumably they would be fired over much longer distances than bullets currently are.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Todd Hart
DO WANT!

Or the Spotter could have the controller. See you haven't thought this through at all, it's perfectly reasonable.

I'm getting all these images in my head of spotters sitting in front of a battery powered HD telly in the field, going "BOOM, HEADSHOT!! YEAAAAH!!" every now and then.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Presumably they would be fired over much longer distances than bullets currently are.

In which case, the bullets would need more propellant to go further.

None of which will work.

Good.

Quote by fearofthemark

I don't think the idea is that you fire randomly and then guide the bullet on target. Guided is really the wrong word, it's just so that you can ensure the bullet goes where you're aiming.
Quote by BeefWellington
In which case, the bullets would need more propellant to go further.

Nah, bullets can go pretty far, they just lose their accuracy after a while. Sure, they might become a bit less lethal, but that hardly matters when you can shoot someone IN THE FACE!

(furthest distance recorded kill with a .50 BMG was 2286 km.)
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

.50 caliber bullets are about as big as an ipod. I dont see why they wouldnt be able to make a tiny guidance system to cram in there. After that, all you need are some fins.

When you guys imagine this, your probably thinking of making bullets like the magic bullet that supposedly killed jfk. These things wont be designed to like, make 90 degree turns and do loop-de-loops. The goal will be to change the trajectory of the bullet just a few meters. Its meant to take a shot thats just a little bit off, and correct it

Also, your right in that they will probably need to alter the size of the bullet. But thats not that hard. In fact, theres already different sizes of .50 caliber bullets. The .50 caliber round in a desert eagle is not the same length as the .50 caliber round in a barrett sniper rifle.

And in regards to the fins, do you know how small the fins would have to be to alter the trajectory or something as small as a bullet over that large of a distance by a margin of only a few feet? Youd barely be able to see the fins

And yes, your right. The rifles and bullets would have to be altered. But these are weapon producing companies. Its what they do everyday...

The real challenge is not making a bullet that can be guided. The problem will be the same issue as they had when they made guided artillery rounds. Creating a guidance system that will survive the firing of the bullet

Tl;dr

Its not nearly as complicated as your trying to make it in your mind
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Jun 13, 2010,
MW2 is already filled with twats running around spraying everywhere
This is going to make is 1000X worse :|
Quote by Gods_Gift
MW2 is already filled with twats running around spraying everywhere
This is going to make is 1000X worse :|

I doubt these things are gonna have any effect at close range.. more for very long distances.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Page 1 of 3