Hello lads!

I guess that I am going to be hated for this but is it only me that thinks that Slash = overrated? I love guns n' roses but call Slash the one of the greatest guitarrist of all time is just wrong...

He have created cool sounds for gnr but I bet that many wouldnt here the difference if they replaced slash in a concert. It's not like replacing Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin, Paul Kossof from Free, Duane Allman from The allman brothers or David Gilmour from Pink Floyd.

Pardon my English

Any thoughts? Am I totally wrong?
Yeah you're pretty much wrong. His feel and emotion when playing is amazing, and his ability to make a solo part of a song is unbelievable.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Besides, how many more of these threads have been started already?
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
no, i agree. he's definitely one of the better guitarists ever, but i can list five people off the top of my head who are more talented than him. people revere slash, and also guns + roses, as god, ridiculously overrating them.
I'm not a fan of Guns and Roses nor Slash but I wouldn't rate him as a bad guitarist. He fits the music he plays perfectly and that in my opinion is far better than being able to sweep pick at 5000bpm on a guitar with 28 and a half strings.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

THANK GOD!

slash is an exeptionally good musician, but he is overrated.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Slashlovers here I see Hes good, hes really good. Top 100 of all time but not top25 sorry
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Greatest win ever.

I agree with TS though
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
For me it's not just about his guitar playing, but the life he led. Go read his autobiography. It gave me a whole new respect for the man beyond the music he produces.
obviously this argument cant be won because its based on different opinions of what great are. you're probably one of those people who will name some metal or classical guitarist as being the greatest, simply because they are technically more skilled. I, however, do view slash as ONE OF the greatest because of his bluesy and emotional song-writing ability. Sure he can't play what others can play because he doesnt have the speed or technical ability, but he can write what others can only hope to write one day.

thats like saying the beatles sucked because they are not technically skilled. However, their song writing abilities are greater than most other bands and musician.

so my opinion, slash certainly isnt one of the best musicians, but as far as guitarist i feel he is one of the greats.
plmokn12 wrote:
Yes! You deserve a high five in the spirit of Jim Henson.

Gretsch G5129
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Yamaha FG-336SB
I dont know, he may have been influenctial, but the last times I have seen him play have been really shit (For example Guitar Center clinic and whatnot), and by shit I mean really shit, any beginner could have done better.
But im not into GNR anyways and I also don't like his playing in general, but he seems a nice person.
Its opinion as stated, but it can be said that his last performances where not very good from a technical point of view.
Last edited by zirkonflex at Jun 13, 2010,
yeh i agree with azrael, technically he may not be great but his playing style is so unique and the way he adds so many little licks in and around the main riff of a song is genius. Plus his solos always seem to compliment the song perfectly, take the solo frim nightrain for example.
no he has a point there was a show here in the uk recently called "im in a rock and roll band and at the end of the series they had a live vote for the best guitarist and the nominations where Hendrix, Page & Slash, now i like slash as much as the next guy but there is really no way he deserves to be with Hendrix & Page!
Quote by bmxsulli
obviously this argument cant be won because its based on different opinions of what great are. you're probably one of those people who will name some metal or classical guitarist as being the greatest, simply because they are technically more skilled. I, however, do view slash as ONE OF the greatest because of his bluesy and emotional song-writing ability. Sure he can't play what others can play because he doesnt have the speed or technical ability, but he can write what others can only hope to write one day.

thats like saying the beatles sucked because they are not technically skilled. However, their song writing abilities are greater than most other bands and musician.

so my opinion, slash certainly isnt one of the best musicians, but as far as guitarist i feel he is one of the greats.

I agree with you, and my favourite guitarist is Paul Kossof, not very famous for the audience.

And I love Beatles
Quote by tehSaint
He have created cool sounds for gnr but I bet that many wouldnt here the difference if they replaced slash in a concert.

I guess you don't know much about GN'R - Slash left the band 14 years ago.

Quote by tehSaint
Any thoughts? Am I totally wrong?

See the pic ChucklesMginty posted.
Quote by Jyrgen
I guess you don't know much about GN'R - Slash left the band 14 years ago.

I know that he left, but I was talking about his primetime in guns n' roses.
To me your wrong, slash was a vital part of original guns
not just just because of his playing but his ability to write riff's and solo's that people can connect to, IMO no-one else could have filled that role that made old guns so successful

and if anyone says slash isnt a good guitarist watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYGAO-ImGtM
Last edited by xguitarfanx at Jun 13, 2010,
Slash is as great as a guitarist could get. But i also think that slash has plagiarised a song's guitar work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guns and Roses suck.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by xguitarfanx
To me your wrong, slash was a vital part of original guns
not just just because of his playing but his ability to write riff's and solo's that people can connect to, IMO no-one else could have filled that role that made old guns so successful

and if anyone says slash isnt a good guitarist watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYGAO-ImGtM

hey buddy, Izzy wrote most of those riffs, not Slash.
i think that salsh is a great guitarist.
but there are other guitarist better then him (steve vai, malmsteen, batio) as tachnique

i think slash is more popular then the other also because he has a very strange and personal style (sunglasses, hair, hat), he has an image that other guitarist doesn't have
i think is for this that people think that slash is the best.

(i respect slash so don't think bad)