...the blue tinting at the top of a car's windshield?

The only purpose I can think of is to block sunlight, but sun still gets in your eyes and you need sunglasses when you drive. If that is the purpose, why don't they just tint the whole thing?
Last edited by RawPower218 at Jun 13, 2010,
because tinting the whole thing would make driving at night sooo dangerous
well actually depends on how dark the tint is...
I'd imagine it's like UV protection for when the sun is at it's peak. They don't do it all because the sun isn't always up and it's not as easy to replace your windshield as it is to remove your sunglasses.
Quote by stephen_rettie
I'd imagine it's like UV protection for when the sun is at it's peak. They don't do it all because the sun isn't always up and it's not as easy to replace your windshield as it is to remove your sunglasses.

Misconception: UV Rays cant penetrate and glass. Tinting or otherwise
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Quote by you = fail
Misconception: UV Rays cant penetrate and glass. Tinting or otherwise

Ordinary window glass passes about 90% of the light above 350 nm, but blocks over 90% of the light below 300 nm.

Common window glass provides some protection by absorbing some of the harmful UV

(wiki)

Maybe you mean something else though, I am obviously no expert on this.

Edit: Also in regards to the first quote; UV light's range is 10nm to 400nm
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Jun 13, 2010,
It's to keep the sun out of your eyes. they don't tint the entire thing because it is illegal due to being a driving hazard.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Quote by RawPower218
...the blue tinting at the top of a car's windshield?

The only purpose I can think of is to block sunlight, but sun still gets in your eyes and you need sunglasses when you drive. If that is the purpose, why don't they just tint the whole thing?

because that would be illegal, cops need to see into your car, theres also another reason but i can't be assed to think about it.

but yes that is the reason not because the sun looks cooler blue
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated