Hey guys, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to put this here or in GG&A so if it's needs to be moved then sorry. Anyway my band and I are really starting to get going and we are starting to record our stuff. Right now we are using a crappy tape recorder that sounds like crap and I was wondering what do you guys use to record your stuff. We aren't ready for the studio yet and we don't have a lot of money to spend on something new.

tl;dr- My band is looking for something better to record with.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Tascam US-2000. Requires a PC with USB2. Does a fantastic job, but costs about $500.

I have a photo of mine in my pics.
You can use anything that's an interface, really. You need a mixer (not expensive) and an interface. I believe Line6 makes one that gets decent reviews around here, the Pod something or other, look into that.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I record using a microphone and Audacity, save each track separately, then mix them in Acoustica Mixcraft.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
We're using a TASCAM US-1641 with a small heap of microphones and wires... We're running 4 mics on drums (overhead left & right, kick, snare), one on guitar and both a mic and DI from bass. Works just fine. It comes with a version of Cubase, not the full version mind you, but certain enough to get you started.

A lot of the more important things at that point are stuff like the computer you're hooking up to, the microphones, mic positioning, acoustics of the room, etc etc etc. It's not cheap to do it "right".

You COULD just get a condenser mic and a cheap interface though... and either record track by-track or just one-mic a good dead room with all of you in it. It'll sound better than a tape player anyway. There are several good freeware programs (free) that you can record and mix in (including effects like reverb, eq, high/pass/lowpass/bandpass/band-reject, etc).

I wrote an article on the cheapest reasonable way to do this (imo). I should probably get to writing one on how to do it right once you have the money...
If you tell us how much is "not a lot of money", then we'd probably be able to give you a really good Idea on what you can expect, also, what are you looking to do with these? You said you weren't ready for a recording studio, and I was slightly confused on what you meant by that.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Unless one of you is REALLY serious about learning to record and mix, you'll get much, much better results (for a lower price) by simply going to a pro studio. It can take years of hard work and practice, plus hundreds of pounds of gear, to be able to mix to the same quality as you'd get from a typical 'demo recording' studio.

Until you're ready to hit the studio, a digital camera camera that does reasonable quality video should be enough for self-critique, and perhaps the odd youtube video.
You'll either need to do it in a large room, or use some kind of muffling on the camera mic, to prevent the mic from clipping when the band gets loud.
Last edited by kyle62 at Jun 17, 2010,