I found a great deal for this cab but I can't seem to find what are the speakers inside. Do yu guys know what kind of speakers this cab has?
Quote by groovy-elephant
I found a great deal for this cab but I can't seem to find what are the speakers inside. Do yu guys know what kind of speakers this cab has?

Honestly probably cheap generic speakers. Akin to those in the MG cabinets. You could probably do better for your money.

EDIT: The dudes at TalkBass seem to approve but seriously you could do better. I've never heard them group bash anything (good or bad thing you decide I guess.)
Last edited by consecutive e at Jun 13, 2010,
Marshall's 'own-brand' bass speakers are Eminence, as far as I know. The cabs are good VFM, and like you say, rated by many. Equally, some can't see 'Marshall' and 'bass' in the same sentence without coming over all funny. Sod 'em...their loss!
I've played a couple of the Marshall MB series bass amps in my time.

One at a gig I played once with the band, where they wouldn't let me use my own bass amp because "it'd take too long to set up" and so on and so forth, and I ended up using one of the 2x10 combos. I noticed it was loud in terms of noise put out (between songs) and the actual tone was rubbish. Distorted a lot, couldn't handle being played at reasonable levels or anything. I originally put this down to it being a measly 2x10.

However I played one of their 1x15s (a head and a cab mix) at a music store. This confirmed what I suspected - I disliked their gear. It was a glassy and harsh sound, pretty bad tone. Again it was quite noisy, and just failed to sound nice.

I don't know if it's the heads or the cabs that I don't like the sound of, but if you want my opinion, just stay away from this line of amps.
Send Marshall an e-mail and ask about the speakers. They are very good at replying to messages.

The MB series of bass amps and cabinets has never been popular. A lot of it is, as already stated, the idea that Marshall is strictly an all-valve guitar amplifier and does not belong in the bass realm. However, the MB series is Marshall's budget line of bass amps and cabinets and does not compare to their flagship VBA amplifier and cabinets. Sadly, it is nearly impossible to find anyplace that has a Marshall VBA bass amplifier.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'm going to keep standing up for Marshall here! For most of my couple of decades playing bass (and guitar) it's been Marshall all the way. I've owned/borrowed/abused Mk1 Superbass (Model 1992 type), IBS, DBS, Bass State, and there's a little Bass 12 upstairs I've had for 19 years. The only one I can honestly say was any kind of let-down was the old Integrated Bass System 400w, which was a bit 'plasticy' sounding for my liking. The rest I've had no complaints about.
Sure, you're not going to get that Eden/Trace Elliot 'hi-fi' tone from them, but then not everyone wants that; I know I don't. The usual trick, if you're in a hurry to set up a Marshall, is to get the treble down to halfway, bass up 3/4, and mids a little more. If you're playing a guitar thro' it, put the treble back up, and lose a big chunk of bass.
F*cking great amps - great value for money, won't break like a Peavey (and yes, I do speak from bitter experience!), with good backup from an established company which hasn't 'offshored' their production. What's not to like, if the tone suits?
Quote by creepingjesus73
I'm going to keep standing up for Marshall here! For most of my couple of decades playing bass (and guitar) it's been Marshall all the way. I've owned/borrowed/abused Mk1 Superbass (Model 1992 type), IBS, DBS, Bass State, and there's a little Bass 12 upstairs I've had for 19 years. The only one I can honestly say was any kind of let-down was the old Integrated Bass System 400w, which was a bit 'plasticy' sounding for my liking. The rest I've had no complaints about.
Sure, you're not going to get that Eden/Trace Elliot 'hi-fi' tone from them, but then not everyone wants that; I know I don't. The usual trick, if you're in a hurry to set up a Marshall, is to get the treble down to halfway, bass up 3/4, and mids a little more. If you're playing a guitar thro' it, put the treble back up, and lose a big chunk of bass.
F*cking great amps - great value for money, won't break like a Peavey (and yes, I do speak from bitter experience!), with good backup from an established company which hasn't 'offshored' their production. What's not to like, if the tone suits?

I'd like to hear your stories of these broken Peaveys. Please elaborate.
I don't know about broken Peaveys, but personally from my experience of Peaveys, they're awful amps (bass amps anyway).

Could just be unlucky experiences though.
Well, I sent an e-mail to Marshall. I'm waiting for the answer.
If I buy the cab, I'm going to use it with a Bugera 1960. It's a guitar head that's an imitation of the Marshall Plexi, but with 150W.
Do you think this cab is fit for this head?
Quote by Ziphoblat
I don't know about broken Peaveys, but personally from my experience of Peaveys, they're awful amps (bass amps anyway).

Could just be unlucky experiences though.

I wouldn't say that personally. The tone I'm questing after latley comes out of a Zon (or Aria for earlier years) into a Peavey Tour series amp into a matching 410 and 115. (Props if you can guess who's tone this is.) So I would really like to hear of these apparent horror stories.

Obviously I'm after after something completely the same, but some of my favourite similarities would be nice.

Quote by groovy-elephant
If I buy the cab, I'm going to use it with a Bugera 1960. It's a guitar head that's an imitation of the Marshall Plexi, but with 150W.

Oh I remember you now (I think). Personally I'm not a single 410 guy. More of a 610 guy really. But it's all upto you. Go take your Bugera head and play it through this cab if you're near enough to it otherwise maybe keep looking or try and find something closer to you. I've never done the whole Tube EG amp head thing with a bass so this is the best advice I can give you.
TNT 150w, IIRC. A studio I used to use years ago in Glasgow, had a horde of these bloody things. I used to keep two in the room with me, on the nights when I didn't fancy lugging my Superbass + HH 2x15" into my van, or the one of the others had picked us up in their cars.
The reason I kept two, was that we always had a 3 or 4 hour session, and frequently, 2 hours was the most one of them would do. I could tolerate the tone, not great, but usable; but almost always, it would be my old Hohner Jack V that would finish the amp off. There'd be a couple of seconds of nasty distortion, a brief whine and a small pop. And no sound. Plug the next one in.
The guy in the studio used to give them the once over, change the board fuses, and put them back in the storeroom. Sometimes, he'd send them to McCormack's in town (used to be, at the time, a bloody good guitar shop), and they'd do roughly the same. Nothing ever improved the longevity of them.
There was only ever one which was properly broken; but I would say, the studio had the Marshall IBS I mentioned, and a couple of 'big' combos (an Ampeg, and a TE 4x10"), none of which ever misbehaved. Nor did my Superbass, or the Acoustic 220 that followed it. Even the Bass 12, used flat out against the guitarists' 30w Peavey (which was good and reliable, if sh*tty sounding), behaved itself.
Now, I was under the impression it was just me. But no, that studio guy didn't think so. Neither did the guys in another studio in Glasgow I used when sitting in with another band - They had Laneys, Carlsbro's and a few other good amps. But not Peaveys. They wouldn't touch them.
I was ready to consign all this to history, being as peeps speak well of the big Peaveys, the MK2s, Tour 450 etc., until my bro-in-law started blowing up Peavey guitar amps over the last couple of years. ValveKings, Wiggys, EVH's...he's done the lot. I sympathised, and smiled...
Sorry for the megapost, but you did ask.
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by consecutive e
I wouldn't say that personally. The tone I'm questing after latley comes out of a Zon (or Aria for earlier years) into a Peavey Tour series amp into a matching 410 and 115. (Props if you can guess who's tone this is.) So I would really like to hear of these apparent horror stories.

Obviously I'm after after something completely the same, but some of my favourite similarities would be nice.

Oh I remember you now (I think). Personally I'm not a single 410 guy. More of a 610 guy really. But it's all upto you. Go take your Bugera head and play it through this cab if you're near enough to it otherwise maybe keep looking or try and find something closer to you. I've never done the whole Tube EG amp head thing with a bass so this is the best advice I can give you.

Well, I've played a couple of Peavey bass amps at studios.

The main problem I've had is horrible distortion with them. And the Peavey amps I've played seem to be capable of either "ear-piercing high end" or "unclear earth-rumble" without being able to handle clarity and depth at the same time.

Again though, this may be due to preference, old amps (they were all old, the Peaveys I've played), and speaker dimensions. One was a 1x12 combo that only had a gain knob, and not even a master volume, and one was a 4x10 cab, and personally I can't live with anything other than 15s.
Quote by groovy-elephant

Sorry to double post.
Back in the day, when Plexi's were new, you could hook it up to a bass speaker, and use it for bass. Many did. Duck Dunn, on the '67 Stax/Volt tour of Scandinavia did - I saw it on telly back at xmas time.
But I wouldn't be trying that with a Bugera.
Quote by creepingjesus73
TNT 150w, IIRC. A studio I used to use years ago in Glasgow, had a horde of these bloody things. I used to keep two in the room with me, on the nights when I didn't fancy lugging my Superbass + HH 2x15" into my van, or the one of the others had picked us up in their cars.
The reason I kept two, was that we always had a 3 or 4 hour session, and frequently, 2 hours was the most one of them would do. I could tolerate the tone, not great, but usable; but almost always, it would be my old Hohner Jack V that would finish the amp off. There'd be a couple of seconds of nasty distortion, a brief whine and a small pop. And no sound. Plug the next one in.
The guy in the studio used to give them the once over, change the board fuses, and put them back in the storeroom. Sometimes, he'd send them to McCormack's in town (used to be, at the time, a bloody good guitar shop), and they'd do roughly the same. Nothing ever improved the longevity of them.
There was only ever one which was properly broken; but I would say, the studio had the Marshall IBS I mentioned, and a couple of 'big' combos (an Ampeg, and a TE 4x10"), none of which ever misbehaved. Nor did my Superbass, or the Acoustic 220 that followed it. Even the Bass 12, used flat out against the guitarists' 30w Peavey (which was good and reliable, if sh*tty sounding), behaved itself.
Now, I was under the impression it was just me. But no, that studio guy didn't think so. Neither did the guys in another studio in Glasgow I used when sitting in with another band - They had Laneys, Carlsbro's and a few other good amps. But not Peaveys. They wouldn't touch them.
I was ready to consign all this to history, being as peeps speak well of the big Peaveys, the MK2s, Tour 450 etc., until my bro-in-law started blowing up Peavey guitar amps over the last couple of years. ValveKings, Wiggys, EVH's...he's done the lot. I sympathised, and smiled...
Sorry for the megapost, but you did ask.

You've managed to bash most of the Peavey amps I've heard nothing but good things about, no disrepect intended whatsoever of course, always good to hear things from people who've experienced the bad as well as those who promote the good.

Thank you for your post. I'm going to do some more reading around.

Quote by creepingjesus73
Sorry to double post.
Back in the day, when Plexi's were new, you could hook it up to a bass speaker, and use it for bass. Many did. Duck Dunn, on the '67 Stax/Volt tour of Scandinavia did - I saw it on telly back at xmas time.

Honestly mate it should be fine. For instance the only difference between the JCM 800 guitar amps and the JCM 800 Bass amps was a couple of different valued resistors.
Quote by creepingjesus73
Sorry to double post.

The Bugera is awesome. My guitarist has one and it sounds great. A buddy of mine who is also a bassist told me that amp would be awesome for bass. So here I am trying to get as much information as possible before I buy the cab and the amp. My only concern is this particular cab. I'm looking for a wide frequency range. Clear lows, good punch, good mids, good highs, etc. I don't know much about cabinets so..
Quote by groovy-elephant
The Bugera is awesome. My guitarist has one and it sounds great. A buddy of mine who is also a bassist told me that amp would be awesome for bass. So here I am trying to get as much information as possible before I buy the cab and the amp. My only concern is this particular cab. I'm looking for a wide frequency range. Clear lows, good punch, good mids, good highs, etc. I don't know much about cabinets so..

I'm not saying not to. I'm just a little concerned that, what is after all, a Behringer, might not be up to the job. There's a world of difference between the amps of the past (Marshall, Orange, HiWatt, Fender, etc.,), which could do that, with just a change of speaker; and a Behringer 'replica'.

@consecutive e: Cool, you do that. I'm sure there are lots of peeps happy with those amps (I know there have been some in here, 'cos I got barracked for offering this opinion up before), so they must have their uses. Sadly from my point of view, they're too big to use as a doorstop. Maybe make a coffee table out of a couple of them, and a few feet of toughened glass?
Also, I'm aware of how few differences there are in the JCM800 amps. My Bass 12's one of them, and I have the schematics stored in me pc. The 12/20/30w guitar, keyboard and bass amps are pretty damn similar. It pretty much comes down to the pot values, and bypass caps. Mind you, they're not complicated amps, there's not much more than that in them...
Quote by creepingjesus73
I'm not saying not to. I'm just a little concerned that, what is after all, a Behringer, might not be up to the job. There's a world of difference between the amps of the past (Marshall, Orange, HiWatt, Fender, etc.,), which could do that, with just a change of speaker; and a Behringer 'replica'.

Trust me, it is. The amp was a complete surprise to us all. In my band and friends of ours who have bands, we all love tube amps. We search a lot and show amps to eachother and try to play in various amps. I can say I played through my share of amps. I played through an Orange Rocker, Thunderverb, OR80 (I think it was the 80) , through Hiwatt Hi-Gain, Fender Bassman, etc. So I know what I'm looking for when I'm looking for a tube amp and Bugera was a surprise. It has a great construction, awesome eq, good volume. I also was sceptic at first, but I was blown away by this amp.
My experience has told me to leave Marshall cabinets alone - infact all Marshall Bass gear. Im going to gradually upgrade my Marshall stuff when i can afford it, starting with the cabs! But i hear the 410 is a vast improvement on the 115!
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Just to tell you guys that last night I played a gig with the Bugera and a Behringer 2x10. The sound was awesome, really, I didn't lose my low end at all.
Quote by groovy-elephant
Just to tell you guys that last night I played a gig with the Bugera and a Behringer 2x10. The sound was awesome, really, I didn't lose my low end at all.

Cool , any chance of some soundclips if you can?
Quote by creepingjesus73
Cool , any chance of some soundclips if you can?

I'm going to try to borrow a bass cab from a friend of mine and I'll try to record something to let you know how it sounds. Oh, and the other band's bass player was using an Orange Rocker 30 with the Behringer and it also sounded great. He lacked low end but it seemed because he didn't want it. But this shows that guitar heads with bass cabs sound great.