South Africa ponders vuvuzela ban... BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Poll: Should the Vuvuzela be banned?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should the Vuvuzela be banned?
No, it's their culture and such
68 18%
**** that noise, ban them
313 82%
Voters: 381.
Page 1 of 5
South Africa's World Cup organising chief Danny Jordaan may ban vuvuzelas from inside stadiums after complaints from broadcasters and supporters.
The constant sound of the high-pitched horn-like instrument has so far drowned out much of the atmosphere-generating singing usually associated with games.
And Jordaan, when asked if he would get rid of them, told BBC Sport: "If there are grounds to do so, yes.
"We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."
France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas, which has been likened to the drone of thousands of bees, for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay, which finished goalless.
He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am.
"We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."
Jordaan conceded that while the noise was irritating for some people, they were doing all they could to minimise the impact.
"We've tried to get some order," he continued. "We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult but we're trying to manage the best we can.
"We've had some broadcasters and individuals [complaining] and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going basis."
Jordaan admitted he was not a huge fan of them himself. "I would prefer singing," he said.
"It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing.
"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/mobile/football/world_cup_2010/8737455.stm?

I really hope someone throws one on the pitch soon so they can ban the things already.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
about time
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
was the BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ necessary?
it's annoying enough having to hear them nevermind having to read them as well?
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
It's not even their culture. It isn't like they developed there. From what I've read they only started using them in SA in the 1990s.

They're annoying. Get rid of them.
Let it be.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Annoying. They seem capable of producing two notes, an annoying buzz or a higher pitched annoying buzz. Get rid of 'em, and let's hear some singing
Quote by daytripper75
It's not even their culture. It isn't like they developed there. From what I've read they only started using them in SA in the 1990s.

They're annoying. Get rid of them.

+1
Even if it were a historical instrument, the Scots don't bring thousands of bagpipes in order to play a monotone drone for example.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Ah, so there is a God...

To be honest, I hardly noticed. They should put a ban on the words "sixty six" or annoying commentators in general.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
i wondered why it sounded like bees. especially the opening game, jeez, i thought it was the plague of locusts. ban then.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
I have no problem with them.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
watch and enjoy the game if you ****ing pay to be there in the stadium,play that stupid thing in your house
Please get rid of them, at first I thought they were only going to do it for the opening game but obviously they aren't doing that. It is so annoying to listen to. I feel sorry for the people sitting next to someone with one.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Just turn the volume down, the commentators are crap and not worth listening to anyway.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I really hope someone throws one on the pitch soon so they can ban the things already.

I think I might go to South Africa and do that... Because it is annoying as fuck!

But I'd prefer to listen to them over bloody Chiles - Who the hell thought to pay him 6 mill a year?! He's crap, uncharismatic and generally a nob!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

ag i have no problem with them just turn the volume down. i actually kinda enjoy it!

though to be fair it would be a completely different story if i still lived in South Africa and got woken up at 6am by the bloody things xD haha!
Oh please ban those things, I'll say what I said on /int/ last night.

This has been untill now the owrst WC ever, no uplifting or funny chants and songs or anything, just that damn noise all match long, it really makes the matches less enjoiable.

Those dammed cunts who use them keep saying "it's our culture and shit" but it was ****ing Developed 30 years ago, not during the Boer wars or something, and wether or not the vuvuzuela is part of their culture it represents a hearing hazard for people near it, also a great distraction to players and referees, not to mention it really ruins the World Cup atmosphere, makes it look like a 3rd Division event.

/rant
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

God please do so, ban them everywhere! It's so annoying, I can't even understand how in the world a team can feel cheered while listening to what sounds like a swarm of locusts standing all around them. But the worse is, kids around here get hold of those things and keep blowing them everywhere. I feel it's disrupting the time and space continuum!

/baked ranting
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Ah, so ****ing irritating. Maybe they should only be allowed them at S.A matches?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by Doctor Matthews
They need to be banned.

Much like TS

Why does TS need to be banned? I'm certain he's contributed more to this forum than you have...

I did wonder what the noise was - but it was the first football game i watched in years so i thought it was normal

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
oh god, I hate those frigging things.

All the little kids around here have them too, and are running around all day blowing them.
Unless every member is given a different note and they play Technical Difficulties then they should ban them.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I do not like the idea of them been banned, as they are not dangerous, and I was very annoyed when having a non offensive banner removed from me during a game.

However I think the fans need to think about the atmosphere they are creating. It does not support, if blown constantly throughout the game.

I'm hoping they noise will die down a bit after the novelty has worn off, then the vocal supporters in the grounds can create a much better atmosphere.
Trust in me and fall aswell.
yeah, shit is annoying. although i haven't really watched the games so it doesn't matter that much to me.

they call it a "sacred horn". its a fucking piece of plastic.
Last edited by lzcougarz3 at Jun 13, 2010,
I quite like them. They keep me pondering over how they can make so much noise even though whenever there are close ups of the crowd you never see any. Remarkable...
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by CoreysMonster
oh god, I hate those frigging things.

All the little kids around here have them too, and are running around all day blowing them.

*cough*

People use them at hockey games here. Not nearly on that level though. More like a handful of fans have them and blow them randomly throughout the games. They're annoying when it's only a few people using them. I can only imagine how much it would suck to be in an arena where you have to hear them nonstop.
Quote by moro_sky
I do not like the idea of them been banned, as they are not dangerous

Really? I read that if you're two metres away and hear it, it's 113 decibels. Pretty dangerous to unprotected ears.
I was more annoyed with them after Rob Green temporarily forgot he wasn't a striker, in general I haven't noticed them much but I still think they should go. It's a horrible noise.
Ban that crap. I think the fans would be able to enjoy the game perfectly fine without them.
We're only strays.
If they ban them, they can ban that Portsmouth twat from ringing his bell during matches too.
It takes all the potentially interesting things spectators can do like chanting, singing, cheering and booing which can create a varied and exciting atmosphere and replaces it with a monotonous, overwhelming droning sound. Using the vuvuzela's sporadically and in addition to the standard cheering could make for an interesting new dynamic, instead it's been completely ruined by people who have to blow them every single second of the game.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Last edited by Garret. at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
+1
Even if it were a historical instrument, the Scots don't bring thousands of bagpipes in order to play a monotone drone for example.

They're too busy getting drunk and beating up the Dutch.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58

Naw, mate. Widnae touch the dutch, ken? Well, that's unless they lose tae thay mad english munters

Quote by Jackal58

That's what football is supposed to be about.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Page 1 of 5