Page 1 of 2
http://www.last.fm/tag/drone
can we get a drone thread going here? i think it's probably best for a general one in which we discuss artists, new albums/releases etc. due to the nature of the genre.

i debated whether i should post this in the "other" sub forum or not, but i think it might get a better response in alt/indie.

so.. has anyone picked up the new emeralds lp yet? i got it a few weeks ago. it's pretty great although i still think allegory of allergies is the best thing they've done.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
so.. has anyone picked up the new emeralds lp yet? i got it a few weeks ago. it's pretty great although i still think allegory of allergies is the best thing they've done.
I'll have to look into these guys, can't say I've heard of them before.

My favourite band in this genre would probably be Nadja. I nearly got to see these two last year but unfortunately I had to leave the venue before they got on stage.

Pyramids are definitely worth checking out if you haven't already too, great band.
^ ha i actually saw nadja last year in dublin. aidan baker supported (which is the main reason i went) but they were good.
also recently saw tim hecker along with machinefabriek and simon scott, it was pretty great.

also, mods, would there be any problems with uploading out of print/hard to find releases? finding out in advance...
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
^ ha i actually saw nadja last year in dublin. aidan baker supported (which is the main reason i went) but they were good.
also recently saw tim hecker along with machinefabriek and simon scott, it was pretty great.
I'm very, very jealous right now I'd really love to see Machinefabriek live.
^ the venue was great too, it was in a really nice old church. machinefabriek was actually the best of the line up. kind of let down by tim hecker to be honest. also worth noting it was ****ing loud as hell.
^ haha, he actually played in the aformentioned venue just over a week ago. i had intended to see him cause a friend has recommended him to me in the past, but i still haven't checked him out and decided not to go. this sounds good though, i'm gonna have to get the album. thanks.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx

also, mods, would there be any problems with uploading out of print/hard to find releases? finding out in advance...

probably a no go on that. i will check, but for now, no links on the forums.

haven't heard the new Emeralds, but have only heard great things about it.
Quote by Broken_Drum
Haha, that sounds pretty amazing.
Have you heard anything by Ben Frost? He can be pretty similar to Machinefabriek and Heck in places. His album, By the Throat, is the best thing I heard last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43YG2bsEQtM

really wanted to check that one out, but it dropped off my radar for some reason.
How odd, a drone thread in the indie forum...

Listen to The Angelic Process everyone, they will blow your mind, my Weighing Souls With Sand vinyl came in last week, pretty damn sweet.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
http://www.last.fm/tag/drone
can we get a drone thread going here? i think it's probably best for a general one in which we discuss artists, new albums/releases etc. due to the nature of the genre.

i debated whether i should post this in the "other" sub forum or not, but i think it might get a better response in alt/indie.

I came in here about to mention Emeralds, pretty funny coincidence.
It's good stuff. Afaik, they're from Cleveland where I'm from, and they're always at the Grog Shop opening up for bands like Wolf Eyes and stuff.
^yeah, i'd love to see them live. have you heard any of mark mcquire(from emeralds)'s solo stuff? definitely worth a look.
what other Earth albums are essential? i have Earth 2 and The Bees Made Honey...
Earth 2 and Hex.

TBMH is a bit shit.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by uhh_me?
what other Earth albums are essential? i have Earth 2 and The Bees Made Honey...

Hex and Pentastar next.
Quote by misterpeabody
I came in here about to mention Emeralds, pretty funny coincidence.

Whoo! Emeralds is quite astounding drone
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Do procedure club count, they are more shoegazey noisey but it has a certain hypnotic droney quality to it.

http://www.myspace.com/procedureclub
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Hex is a pretty awesome album, I should have mentioned before, but if you like TBMH, Hibernaculumis probably your best bet.

Anyone a fan of Stars Of The Lid? Not really typical Sunn/Earth/Boris type drone, more ambient soundscapes, but the droning is still there.

Been quite addicted the last few days is all, they're really good.
^ they're incredible. both "tired sounds of.." and ".. and their refinement of the decline" are masterpieces. have you heard anything by the dead texan or any of brian mcbride's solo stuff? definitely worth a look.

also, anyone know if there have been any updates on the sotl film? i was incredibly excited about that but i haven't heard anything on it in ages.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
^ they're incredible. both "tired sounds of.." and ".. and their refinement of the decline" are masterpieces. have you heard anything by the dead texan or any of brian mcbride's solo stuff? definitely worth a look.

I have all Brian's stuff, been meaning to check out The Dead Texan though, cheers.
I'm also in the Hex-is-****in-great boat, but really every Earth release I've heard has been at least good, including TBMH. Pretty neat how they've changed from a pure drone sound to like a desert country style. Man, an inquest concerning teeth makes me feel like I'm floating over a desert. It's all real meditative.

Also, Bohren & der Club of Gore are a pretty interesting droney doom/jazz band. they're extremely good. Anybody into'em?

Also, Steven R. Smith, particularly his project Hala Strana, is really amazing. He uses some pretty abnormal folk instruments.

Also, ^ friend req'd you on lastfm.
Last edited by Leonheart at Jun 29, 2010,
^agreed. cities was one of my favourite albums of last year. also, picked up "the line across" by him and gareth davis a few weeks ago, it's pretty great.

soccermom, don't think procedure club would really come under drone but this is good, thanks.
Anyone listen to Jesu? Only their early stuff is drone, they've since developed into a more synthy shoegaze band (drone was better, but the new stuff is still really good).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JSVFGUIQQI&feature=related so good.
My favourite band of all time ^
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by Leonheart

Also, Bohren & der Club of Gore are a pretty interesting droney doom/jazz band. they're extremely good. Anybody into'em?

Black Earth is one of the darkest albums of all time man.
You heard Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV3ooy_SYl0
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Deplorable
Just love JKB sooooo much.

Everything pre-Infinity is amazing, and I enjoy Infinity, just to a lesser extent.

Yeah man do you like Greymachine or Final, they are in a similar vein, but more in the direction of noise. Still brilliant.
Quote by Malakian88

Indeed.
Quote by soccermom
Yeah man do you like Greymachine or Final, they are in a similar vein, but more in the direction of noise. Still brilliant.

Yeah, I don't enjoy them like I do Jesu, but anything Justin touches is amazing.

Checking out The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation now, this stuff is wicked, getting a whole bunch more of this type of music currently too.
yeah the mount fuji doomjazz corporation is incredible, cheers for that.

also i picked this up a while ago, only listening to it now but it's really great. anyone interested in drone should give it a listen.
^I'll check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIA7JmQVU3k

Posted about them on the first page, but I was listening again today and thought that people should check them out.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
^yeah, i'd love to see them live. have you heard any of mark mcquire(from emeralds)'s solo stuff? definitely worth a look.

the Tidings/Amethyst Waves re-release is excellent. i think that i prefer it to about half of the Emeralds stuff i have heard.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
A friend of mine introduced me to eluvium the other day. Would that be considered drone?

the stuff i've heard by Eluvium tends to seem like it is more along the lines of ambient, but with sections that branch out from there.
Quote by uhh_me?

The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull is prolly my least favorite release from Earth... I would say get Hex next, then Pentastar and Phase 3.

edit :

Just got Angel Coma today, split EP from Sunn 0))) and Earth, bracing myself either for amazement or disappointment.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Last edited by illuminatiano at Aug 22, 2010,
Dagger Paths is probably my number one album of the year. i hadn't realized that they had other new stuff out.
Page 1 of 2