Poll Options
View poll results: Which do you reccomend
CE22
10 67%
Swamp Ash
5 33%
Voters: 15.
Hey guys.
Still havent made a purchase yet, but my gig last night assured me that i dont want to stick with my strat.
I have found two used PRS guitars. The CE22 has dragon IIs, the Swamp Ash has McCartys and a SD vintage rail. 5 way on the CE, 3 way on the Swampy. Both have trems. The S.A.S is 200 bucks more. My other guitar (tele) has humbuckers with resistance around 8k, i'm assuming both guitars would be fairly similair in terms of volume for live playing.
Any suggestions? I play hard rock/metal, and blues rock. Metallica, Dream Theater, Aerosmith, Hendrix, Van Halen, Megadeth, Matthew Good, Santana.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
anyone with comments aside from just votes?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

I've got a CE22. I love it....sounds and plays amazing. The only thing is...I HATE THE ROTARY SWITCH! Makes it really hard to switch pickups mid-solo. Just something to keep in mind -- if you like to switch pickups a lot, I would not go for the CE22 unless you want to pull out the rotary and replace with a switch.
i've never tried to get metal out of a SAS, but i am confident it could do it just fine. Do you use single coil tones for the blues rock?

if not then the CE22 may be better for you. some people are just fine with the rotary once you get used to it. it just takes a little time. or do as hijinks said and have a 3 way toggle installed.

i'll rec that you hold out for a used McCarty which would do everything very well, and isn't much more than a CE22. unless you 'need' the trem. then maybe a CU22 or 24.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Electric guitar forum will give you better answers so I'm gonna report it to be moved
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
oh crap, did i post this in GG&A? my bad. its my usual forum to just browse around in, my apologies.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

i hate bumping...but, oh well
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

i saw a SC245 today for $1000 on MSP craigslist. so really think this through...

2 - vol
2 - tone

you know, i can almost say i prefer single volume...i love the simpleness of my tele with just one of each. my volume is always matching from pickup to pickup, and its not as though i need one turned down for clean and one wide open for gain. the mark IV seems to have that covered haha.
the argument of being able to blend pickup levels for more versatility is valid, though i dont feel it all that useful. i find i never bother with that on my les paul. that being said, i don't want to send an epiphone les paul standard forward as the champion of single cuts with 2 volumes and 2 tones, but i do really like just having one volume and one tone to deal with.

and at the same time i'm GASING for a double cut. the tele is awesome and i love it, but i like the open-ness of doubles. the strat has a pretty big neck bolt which i dont like too much, so i cant really take full advantage of it...but then again both guitars in question here have fairly large heels, though i think the swamp ash is the bigger of the two
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

i totally understand. i guess my point is keep your options open. the ce's are nice guitars but right now i have seen other models hit the same used price . some people do prefer ce's, i know matrixclaw does and for good reasons. it's really all preference and feel let's face it. like i said i do prefer the 3 way toggle and coil split tone knob myself. good luck.
how do you find your mccarty in general? any idea what the pickups are putting out resistance wise? chunkier neck profile, or slimmer? the pic on your profile looks quite nice, the CE that is in question for me is kind of a turqoise/blue. somewhat similair top wise
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer