Hey UG
I've noticed that the sustain on my G400 isnt very long. Now could this just be down to the fact that i havent changed the strings in a while? Or because i use a plug-in instead of an amp, and it just isnt as accurate?
And do you have any ways to increase sustain?
I times how long an open D power chord (Top string tunes down to D tuning, could this be a factor?) and it lasted about 15 seconds, and the 15th fret on the high E lasted for just under 5 seconds.
How can i fix/counter this?
Thanks all
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by salgala2000
Not having an SG

SG's have bad sustain?
Because i've heard some by bands i listen to who play SG's and theirs has been better
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
An SG is a perfectly fine guitar so ignore the boneheaded comment on that. It could be the strings. Change them they are cheap. Have you actually tried it in an amp? Take the thing to a music store and go amp shopping. Test out some amps. This goes for anyone when you go looking for an amp. Take your own guitar. Do not use something off the shelf in the store. Why? Because your guitar is what you will be playing when you leave the store not that what ever it was hanging on the wall in Fred's Guitar Ghetto.
When trying to trouble shoot problems like this remember there are 3 parts that make up an electric guitar system.
1,The guitar. That could be strings or any of the other mechanical or electronic parts of the guitar.
2,Amplification of what ever form you use.
3,Operator
Any one or all three can be the problem. Good luck and do not hesitate to ask questions if you need more info.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
turn up your volume

if you play very softly, the sustain is shorter cause whats amplified is much smaller

if your action is really low, maybe raising it or lowering your pickup heights(reduce magnetic pull)
raise the action slightly, check the neck relief including fret level,clean the guitar (particularly the neck,saddles and nut), new strings will help, and if all that fails add more mass to the headstock or body (buy a fat finger or use a couple of pennies)15 seconds is alot of sustain.
Fifteen seconds is already a lot for an Epi SG. Mine used to struggle to hit six, my Epi LP struggles to hit ten seconds and my Epi Firebird is around the eight to ten second mark. Fifteen is really good.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ahh right, cool
Thanks all
I do have an amp, Spider IV (hence why i use a plug in atm) and its the same with that. But i guess its the strings + it needs cleaning
Thanks guys
Gear:
Snark Headstock tuner!
yeah all sg's have real short sustain. I used to play a Les Paul and then switched to the SG and was dissapointed with the sustain. BUT THERE IS A SOLUTION!!

My guitar tech told me that Zack Wylde has a trick for more sustain.....

When you are stringing you're guitar, instead of just putting the strings through the stoptail like normal, put them in backwards and route them under the stoptail towards the bridge. This should create a little bit more sustain on you're SG. I tried it and yes it actually worked. I didn't keep on stringing my guitar this way but it does add a bit more sustain.