Hey, im taking my guitar into one of my local shops tommorow with some major repair plans in mind.

I just need advice beforehand because im a little unsure what it is im going to be asking for, and how much its going to cost.

My guitar is a cheap and nasty £60 strat copy. Its the only electric I own and probably will own for some time. I want to make it easier to play, as ive began to notice how difficult it is to play compared to more expensive guitars (mainly due to the action).

The main thing for me is a lower action, and some better tuning pegs, but I also want to make full use of the tremolo system, which is hard to use at the moment as I have 5 big strings pulling on it, and I have sort of broke it.

I guess im hoping to start learning how to use the whammy bar properly, with jeff beck been a big influence, and if I were to guess, the best way to make full use of it would be to replace the bridge, lower the amount of springs on it and use a lighter gauge of string.

Altogether, this would mean:

- new bridge and tremolo system
- new tuning pegs
- new set of strings
- truss rod adjustment

Im not sure about what price im looking at here at all, nor am I sure ill need the new tuning pegs (I only added them in because my current ones are pretty poor). Can anyone give me an idea of what price im looking at?
well truss rod adjustment will go down as a set-up and that'll cost about £25-£40 depending on the quality of the tech doing it, tuning pegs (machine heads) will be £25 for a set (about £15 on axesrus.com) and will cost about £10 to fit. new bridge/tremelo for a decent one will be £50 in the shop (£22 on axesrus.com with free UK delivery) and fitting will be about £10 again but will probably be done at the same time as the machine heads. and all set-ups usually come with a set of strings of your choice thrown in.

summary: cheapest = £55
dearest = £180ish but again, if you want a floyd rose then a LOT of work will need to be done and also quality of other parts aswell such as locking tuners so the cost CAN run into a few hundred quid...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
you'd be better buying a new guitar tbh
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
summary: cheapest = £55
dearest = £180ish but again, if you want a floyd rose then a LOT of work will need to be done and also quality of other parts aswell such as locking tuners so the cost CAN run into a few hundred quid...

What he said.

Seriously for a £60 guitar, either learn and do it yourself (there is LOTS of information on here and on the web in general) or put the money you would spend towards something a bit better.

You can EASILY spend more than the cost of the guitar here - the reason you are having problems is largely due to the cheap hardware you currently have.

I'd go with the putting the money towards something better option, and in the mean time, learn how to set your guitar up yourself - it's not that hard and it might make a difference that means it's playable enough for a bit longer.
I would have thought it would come to around that much.

I only have £90 to spend, may have to prioritize.

I guess I could do without the new machine heads for now, and possibly do the truss rodd adjustment myself, which may spare some money for a good new bridge and tremolo system.

As people have suggested, I would have got a new guitar instead, but £90 is not going to get me one good enough, so improving my current one is the only option for me at the moment.

Either way, ill talk to the people at the shop tommorow, see what they think of it all.
Learn how to do set ups and never spend that money. It's not rocket science.

What do you mean you "broke" the whammy?
I snapped something inside the tremolo system and the bar doesnt slot inside right anymore. Dont ask how I did it I cant remember.

Yeah I think you guys are right, I should just concentrate on getting it fixed up for now. I know how to adjust the truss rodd, I just hear you have to be careful you dont turn it too much, otherwise you can break it. Is that right?

Also, do any of you think reducing the number of springs on the back to around 2 will help me get more out of the trem? If so ill just do that for now, and put light strings on to compensate for the lack of tension.