Hello people, I've got a couple of questions concerning the metal music and instruments that do the best job in making it. I'm new to music making, just bought my first guitar, a Fender American Special Strat and a Egnater Rebel 30W amp to go along with it. Now, I know that most of you agree that strat's aren't the best choice for metal, but I have to work with what I have here. Anyway, I plan on replacing the pickups to get that raw sound, so I'd appreciate some experienced players advice on a good metal pickup for a strat. Also, I'd like an opinion on the egg amp, and if some of you guys tried it for this type of music, how was it? The type of music I wish to create is in the grounds of Black Metal.

The second thing is that I will be investing in another instrument soon (also routed for metal), and I had a Gibson Sg in mind. So considering the raw sound expected, what type Sg would you recommend, etc.

Regards, SeriousMan.
How is your strat set up. do you have an HSS configuration? if so, i recomend a few different pick ups. if you want a really metal sound you can go with the seymour duncan invaders. i think they're the sh-8. I use a seymour duncan sh-6 distortion in the bridge of my ibanez and i love it. another great one that i've heard good stuff about is the dimarzio d-activator. but most metal guitarists choose the active pickup sound, and if you only plan on using your bridge pick up you can get on active and only run it. i know there are ways to use bolth passive and active together, but i'm not familiar with how to do it. i run passive pickups because i like to have that slight bit of flexibility on my sound. some actives don't do clean very well.

A good guitar choice for metal, is (i know that people will be posting saying other guitars LOL) an ibanez RG. you can get a really good one for cheap. ESP/LTD are good, as are jacksons. from my experience, the sg is pretty heavy and the neck a little weird. The best advice is to go to a guitar center or sam ash and play every guitar you get your hands on. you'll find that one that you really like, you may be suprised lol. you may love your fender. you can get a really twangy raw sound out of it if you put the right pick ups in it. but it's not what guitar you play, it's HOW you play it. if you're just starting out, the strat is a good guitar for you. many guitars are based on that original design so the transition will be smooth.
Well dude in truth while pickups do matter id say they don't matter as much as a good amp/ distortion. You can really make single coils growl by turning down the mid a little and also turning the lows up.

But a better tip is if you are just starting try not to spend too much money. The market is geared to make you believe that certain guitars are synonymous with certain genres while this is partly true due to pickups and wood choices it is not set in stone.

Set your self up with some good distortion I personally like the boss ML distrotion pedal. Another really good one is the MXR Fullbore Metal pedal.

As far as pickups go however EMGs make a lot of really good pickups but wiring them into your guitar may be a little more complicated. Since they are active and require a battery.
Seymour Duncan makes really good pickups as well. They are my personal favorites.

Guitar wise Ibanez makes great guitars. You can find something good priced with great features solid construction and a fairly thin neck for those who like speed.

Esp is also a great choice; for those who like metal is the ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 is a good buy. This guitar comes equipped with EMGs it is very solid has some good weight on it and is very nice looking. Id say this is the next guitar you should get.

Personally I hate SGs and I kinda have a vendetta against them...so I am a bit biased toward them mostly because they feel weird to me due to their fairly light weight compared to other Gibson guitars.

A great suggestion would be to head to a local music store (guitar center preferably) and see if you can try some of this stuff out cause us UGers can sit here all day and tell you what to buy but in the end its what sounds good to you that matters.

good luck.
There is nothing wrong with playing metal on a Strat. You can play just about any style on any guitar. It has more to do with amp and operator. You can get a good metal tone from single coil pickups. It take a tad of learning how to twiddle the knobs on the amp and guitar.
Is anyone thinks an SG is heavy they need to get off their ass and work out some. An SG might be a bit neck heavy for some people but,a wide strap can cure that or even moving the front strap button to the horn from the back of the guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Last edited by Bhaok at Jun 13, 2010,
Check what kind of rout your strat has. Some are routed for 3 single coils, in which case you might want to get a single coil sized humbucker, while others can fit full sized humbuckers.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
^^
Fender American Special Strat I'm almost positive is routed H-S-H. Most strats are. Playing metal on strats is fine. The body woods aren't the greatest for it, but they work. The biggest issue, and why many players won't use a strat, is they usually have 21 frets, whereas most metal musicians tend to like 22 or, more commonly, 24 fret guitars. If you want a more metal sound, look for high output pickups. Seymour Duncan make some, so do Dimarzo and of course there's always EMG's. I have no experience with that amp so I can't help you there. As for your last question about the SG, Play them ALL before you buy. Find one you like. Though to be honest, stick with the Fender for a while, because it is a very nice guitar.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
The egnater rebel 30 doesn't have enough gain on tap to do black metal it can maybe do 80's//thrash style metal when its cranked! Although they are great sounding amps for lots of other things they do fall a little short in the high gain department. And because I agree a strat can be used to get decent metal tones id say you are in the market for some kind of distortion pedal!! I'd suggest trying them cause you'll get 30 different reccomendations for a high gain pedal on here and none of them may be what you are looking for.
Thanks for the replies, I'll stick with the stock pickups for now, as for the amp I'll upgrade it with a pedal of some sort, don't know yet. As for the Sg, I don't really think that weight will be much of an issue, I just wanna know if it can withstand some extreme metal (mabey with a change of pickups?), so anyone with experience with that one is welcome to reply. Cheers.
Well, black metal is all about the use of individual notes and the atmosphere the music creates, not necessarily about the equipment that you're using to make it. Some of the most incredible black metal albums were recorded with the most primitive equipment you can imagine.
Quote by Bhaok
There is nothing wrong with playing metal on a Strat. You can play just about any style on any guitar. It has more to do with amp and operator. You can get a good metal tone from single coil pickups. It take a tad of learning how to twiddle the knobs on the amp and guitar.
If anyone thinks an SG is heavy they need to get off their ass and work out some. An SG might be a bit neck heavy for some people but,a wide strap can cure that or even moving the front strap button to the horn from the back of the guitar.

+1. I play a LP and when I pickup my friends sg it feels like a feather. Sg's are not heavy AT ALL.
Quote by SeriousMan
Thanks for the replies, I'll stick with the stock pickups for now, as for the amp I'll upgrade it with a pedal of some sort, don't know yet. As for the Sg, I don't really think that weight will be much of an issue, I just wanna know if it can withstand some extreme metal (mabey with a change of pickups?), so anyone with experience with that one is welcome to reply. Cheers.

does your american special have a humbucker in the bridge position or is it a single coil?
DIMARZIO SUPER DISTORTION PICKUPS!
They come in humbucker and single coil forms. Actually, the BEST IDEA is to go to Dimarzio's website and go to the "pickup picker."
The pickup picker is a piece of magic that apparently gives you the best idea for the pickup that produces the sound you want.
that atomic humbucker in the bridge should do metal just fine with the right amp.
Oh, and if you want to replace the H/S/S pickup configuration you can easily buy a new pickguard. You can even make a pickguard from a trashcan!
You can also replace the neck if you ever feel you need 24 frets.
so these are your first guitars?

Have you started playing yet?

Daron Malakian played the first few years of SOAD with a strat live. It's not like you can't play metal on a strat. It's just not what most pros use. And that's mostly because most players prefer a different neck shape/radius for advanced techniques like sweep picking, not just the pickups. Pups are an easy fix, but if you're a beginner I wouldn't even worry about it.
Quote by Tedward
so these are your first guitars?

Have you started playing yet?

Daron Malakian played the first few years of SOAD with a strat live. It's not like you can't play metal on a strat. It's just not what most pros use. And that's mostly because most players prefer a different neck shape/radius for advanced techniques like sweep picking, not just the pickups. Pups are an easy fix, but if you're a beginner I wouldn't even worry about it.

Yeah, it's the first guitar, and I started jamming a couple of months ago. I know, I won't get over my head with the gear, just wanna know other experiences and such. Btw, as a beginner I'm not very much informed on the whole pickup structure and types or configuration, so a little info on that would be nice