So I'm planning on buying some new pickups for my guitar, I've been playing on EMG's for a while now, and I've been wanting to move to passives. I've looked at bunch of different pickups, but as ya'll know I can't try them all out without buying them.

My set up is my Squier Affinity(don't hate), and a Valveking 112, I play mostly Alternative metal, but I love a good clean tone as well. I'm looking at a HSH set up, but if money dictates my choice I would go for a HSS set up.

I'm looking to spend around $200-$250 on pickups, pickguard, pots, jack and switch. What should I go with?

Here's what I'm looking at:

Humbuckers:

SD SH4 JB Humbucker-$72.95
SD SH2 Jazz Humbucker-$72.95
SD SH5 Custom Humbucker-$72.95
SD SH11 Custom Custom Humbucker-$79.95
DiMarizo DP158 Evolution Humbucker-$69.95
DiMarizo DP104 Super 2 Humbucker-$69.95
DiMarizo DP153 Fred Humbucker-$69.95

Single Coils:

SD SSL4 Roster Pond(?) Single Coil-$52.95
SD STL1B Vintage Brand aster Single Coil-$57.95
DiMarzio DP415 Area 58' Single Coil-$69.95
DiMarizo DP217 YJM Single Coil-$64.95
DizMarizo DP416 Area 61' Single Coil-$69.95
for your metal I would advise (for humbucker bridge but can use in neck position) Seymour Duncan SH8B invader, it is VERY cool, super high output and one of the heaviest passive pickup out there

BTW its £71.99 at dawsons you could probably get it cheaper somewhere in your own country.
Last edited by Koopagamelouda at Jun 13, 2010,
What types of bands are you considering alt metal? Theres a lot that could fall into that.
Without knowing that though, I'd go something like Tone Zone in Bridge, Jazz in neck, maybe an area 58 or chopper in the middle. I stay away from Invaders, as it's a very bassy and muddy pickup in my experience, and when it's muddy coming from the pickup it's really hard to eq out.

EDIT: seriously though,, I wouldn't bother putting $250 worth of pickups into a $150 guitar.
Last edited by rokket2005 at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by rokket2005
What types of bands are you considering alt metal? Theres a lot that could fall into that.
Without knowing that though, I'd go something like Tone Zone in Bridge, Jazz in neck, maybe an area 58 or chopper in the middle. I stay away from Invaders, as it's a very bassy and muddy pickup in my experience, and when it's muddy coming from the pickup it's really hard to eq out.

EDIT: seriously though,, I wouldn't bother putting $250 worth of pickups into a $150 guitar.

Too late, my EMG's cost me $250, prewired pickguard. It's actually a $100 guitar, and it plays pretty awesome, so I'm gona keep it.

I'm not looking for anyone's particular tone, I'm looking for clear ringing notes, under lots of distortion, and very little distortion, very good cleans, good and punchy, good low end bite, something that will go from Drop A metal to capo 2ed fret jazz.

I was looking at the SD SH11 Custom Custom, the description seemed interesting.But idk.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Too late

No, it's really not. You could sell your EMGs and your Squier, get about $250, add on the $250 you're willing to spend on pickups, and get a used Ibanez RG321/RG2EX1/SZ520/RGA Series guitar, and then put decent pickups in it if you still need them. I am, however, convinced that the poor tone of your Squier has something to do with your desire for new pickups.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
the pickups in my squier costs 4 times the guitar.
DO IT MAN. IT'S ROCK AND OR ROLL.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by ibz_bucket
No, it's really not. You could sell your EMGs and your Squier, get about $250, add on the $250 you're willing to spend on pickups, and get a used Ibanez RG321/RG2EX1/SZ520/RGA Series guitar, and then put decent pickups in it if you still need them. I am, however, convinced that the poor tone of your Squier has something to do with your desire for new pickups.

...I don't have poor tone, just listen to my MP3's, I'm just getting tired of the same exact tone all the time, I've been playing EMG's for much too long, so I want to move to something different. I've put on graphtech saddles and graphtech nut so it has a godly amount of sustain, stays in tune most of the time, plays really good, guitar is made out of a good solid piece of Alder, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, it's a good guitar that happens to have the Squier name on it, so don't tell me to buy a new guitar.

Come on guys, I'm just asking, what pickup would you put in your guitar made of Alder for a clean distorted tone and a great clean tone? I'm not buying a new guitar, so please answer my question, for the sake of not being a typical UG'er who would just make jokes about Squier.
Dimarzio Norton in the bridge, Humbucker from Hell neck, True Velvet in the middle.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Koopagamelouda
for your metal I would advise (for humbucker bridge but can use in neck position) Seymour Duncan SH8B invader, it is VERY cool, super high output and one of the heaviest passive pickup out there

BTW its £71.99 at dawsons you could probably get it cheaper somewhere in your own country.

The Invader is generally regarded as one of SD's worst pups
Quote by Jyrgen
The Invader is generally regarded as one of SD's worst pups

I like them...most people don't though. And I can see why...if you play through a darker amp...or you don't play with a lot of mids and treble, then the invaders are just going to make your tone even muddier and inarticulate.

Anywho...I second buying another guitar first off. But, if you're settled on keeping the squier...i'd go for the H/S/H setup, with a SD Jazz in the neck, area '58 in the middle, and SD JB in the bridge.
Quote by eyebanez333
I like them...most people don't though. And I can see why...if you play through a darker amp...or you don't play with a lot of mids and treble, then the invaders are just going to make your tone even muddier and inarticulate.

Anywho...I second buying another guitar first off. But, if you're settled on keeping the squier...i'd go for the H/S/H setup, with a SD Jazz in the neck, area '58 in the middle, and SD JB in the bridge.

I've been thinking alot on buying a new guitar, but I just can't fork out $500+ for a new guitar, then have to put graphtech saddles and nut on it, and possibly replace the pickups, can't afford it. I swear by the Graphtech stuff btw, improves tone by miles.

I can however, slowly collect some nice passive pickups and eventually put them in my guitar, or, if I buy a new guitar, put them in those, I can pretty much put the passives in any guitar I want to, so it's nice to have them around, no matter what guitar there in.

But I like your choice, also like Steve's choice. What's the difference between the Air Norton and the JB? I've heard nothing but good things from the JB.
Quote by steven seagull
Dimarzio Norton in the bridge, Humbucker from Hell neck, True Velvet in the middle.

I've been wondering about the HfH and Norton combo....have you tried it personally?