Page 1 of 2
Found this on another forum:

Fourth-grade teacher Jarretta Hamilton was newly married and expecting a baby when she went to speak with her supervisors in April of last year.

But the administrators at Southland Christian School in St. Cloud parried her query about maternity leave with a query of their own: When did she conceive?

After Hamilton admitted that her child had been conceived about three weeks before her February 20, 2009, wedding, the school fired her.

Full article- http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/os-christian-school-premarital-sex-20100607,0,5428043.story

Seriously, what has someone's private life got to do with their job?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Seriously, what has someone's private life got to do with their job?

Oh, the irony.....
uptight christians
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
"The employment application, which she filled out, clearly states that as a leader before our students we require all teachers to maintain and communicate the values and purpose of our school."
She got involved with conservative elitists, and broke their rules. She doesn't deserve a cent. She is in the wrong.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
It was a Christian school, so I'm sure she had to agree to some rules when she started work. I imagine that was in the rules, which is why she was fired.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by uk.mace
It is a Christian school, she most probably has to live a life that represents the values of the school - premarital sex doesn't exactly reflect that.

I don't agree with her being fired, but it seems that's the reason.

Not all teachers in Christian schools are themselves Christian. My church school had a Muslim science teacher and a Jewish deputy headteacher.
Idk, I was just regarding Fassa's job as "troll" for a brief moment. I'm not really into that whole Pit-kinda sarcasm yet
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Not all teachers in Christian schools are themselves Christian. My church school had a Muslim science teacher and a Jewish deputy headteacher.
Doesn't matter what religion you are. If you agree to follow a certain set of rules, and then you break the rules, you can be fired.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
"We request that Jarretta withdraw her complaint and consider the testimony of the Lord,"

This is ****ing ridiculous.
I play Bass and Drums, the instruments that are made fun of

"And there shall be a boy of such extrordinary rhythm section power, that he shall smite all 6-stringed elitists that stand before him"- Nostradamus
Quote by ScottPAL
"We request that Jarretta withdraw her complaint and consider the testimony of the Lord,"

This is ****ing ridiculous.

Not at all. She got the job on the basis that she would uphold their morals. She filled out an application agreeing to this before she got the job. Hate the ideals, not the fact that they're upholding them fairly.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Quote by element4433
Doesn't matter what religion you are. If you agree to follow a certain set of rules, and then you break the rules, you can be fired.

I'd bet it's highly illegal to fire her for that. Also there's about a million different christian interpretations about what's wrong and right in a relationship.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I'd bet it's highly illegal to fire her for that. Also there's about a million different christian interpretations about what's wrong and right in a relationship.

This.
Now before all this "**** religion" and "god doesn't exist" starts. If you teach at a christian school you're going to be excepted to reflect a christian lifestyle and set an example for the students, this would include not fornicating or at least not letting students know about it.

It does suck for her that she lost her job, but she knew or should have known the ramifications.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Let's not make this a religious discussion. When you sign a contract and brake it, you must be prepared to deal with consequences. If this wasn't to do with religion you'd all dismiss her complaint in an instant. Don't let slander infect your perception.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I'd bet it's not or they wouldn't have made her agree to it when she became employed there.

And the second part of that is moot because the school's interpretation is the only one that matters in this case.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Caressing Death
Not at all. She got the job on the basis that she would uphold their morals. She filled out an application agreeing to this before she got the job. Hate the ideals, not the fact that they're upholding them fairly.

But i doubt the contract specifically said she couldnt have premarital sex, or defined the morals she had to uphold. This was incredibly illegal.

Frankly, im surprised so many people here are backing this decision.

EDIT:
Quote by Caressing Death
Let's not make this a religious discussion. When you sign a contract and brake it, you must be prepared to deal with consequences. If this wasn't to do with religion you'd all dismiss her complaint in an instant. Don't let slander infect your perception.

Am i missing something? Why are people assuming they know what her contract said? The article makes no mention, other than teachers had to uphold morals. You cant compain about a breach of contract without seeing the contract first.
Last edited by Icehawk217 at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by element4433
I'd bet it's not or they wouldn't have made her agree to it when she became employed there.

And the second part of that is moot because the school's interpretation is the only one that matters in this case.

Unless the contract she signed specifically mentioned anything to do with pre-marital sex, it then becomes a question of interpretation.
Quote by Caressing Death
"The employment application, which she filled out, clearly states that as a leader before our students we require all teachers to maintain and communicate the values and purpose of our school."
She got involved with conservative elitists, and broke their rules. She doesn't deserve a cent. She is in the wrong.

Yep, basically it. As much as I disagree with it, she agreed to it, and deserves to be fired.
Quote by Icehawk217
But i doubt the contract specifically said she couldnt have premarital sex, or defined the morals she had to uphold. This was incredibly illegal.

Frankly, im surprised so many people here are backing this decision.

Whether just an interpretation or not it is part of the Roman Catholic's (and a lot of other Christian factions) teachings. She was being ignorant if she didn't know that.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Unless the contract she signed specifically mentioned anything to do with pre-marital sex, it then becomes a question of interpretation.
The employment application, which she filled out, clearly states that as a leader before our students we require all teachers to maintain and communicate the values and purpose of our school.

So it's the school's that matters.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Caressing Death
Whether just an interpretation or not it is part of the Roman Catholic's (and a lot of other Christian factions) teachings. She was being ignorant if she didn't know that.

Again, as someone said, it's all a question of interpretation. Hell, I know there are some Christian faction who would sanction what she did because she is getting married to the father of the child and so the child would be born 'honorably'.
Quote by element4433
So it's the school's that matters.

What you quote is so vague you could read anything into it.
Quote by element4433

Yeah, but the rules were probably as vague as:

"each teacher must uphold the values of Christianity, and educate students while instilling the teachings of Jesus christ and the christianity way of life."

I was Catholic for years, and I was pro abortion, and pro euthanasia.

Also.. separation of church and state? Unless that's a private school..?
Last edited by technicolour at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by uk.mace
It is a Christian school, she most probably has to live a life that represents the values of the school - premarital sex doesn't exactly reflect that.

I don't agree with her being fired, but it seems that's the reason.

+1. as a Christian, i agree with this comment. it sounds to me like this school is looking for someone perfect to work in their school. the only person who fits that description is Jesus Christ himself, who, probably wouldn't even work there if given the opportunity. if she wins this case, she should be given her job back or the board there should fire everyone in the school including themselves. this is just sad on their part...

edit: does anyone else find it hilarious that the article is listed under "employment opportunities?"
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Last edited by joshua029 at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Why didn't she just lie and say she conceived on her wedding night?

Silly Christians.

lying is a sin....................
Quote by technicolour
Yeah, but the rules were probably as vague as:

"each teacher must uphold the values of Christianity, and educate students while instilling the teachings of Jesus christ and the christianity way of life."

I was Catholic for years, and I was pro abortion, and pro euthanasia.

This is pretty much what I am trying to get across.

Plus, the school has no right to police anyone. Yes, there is a certain moral code in the school but at the same time, people have a right to a private life.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Again, as someone said, it's all a question of interpretation. Hell, I know there are some Christian faction who would sanction what she did because she is getting married to the father of the child and so the child would be born 'honorably'.

Again, whether just an interpretation or not it is part of the Roman Catholic's (and a lot of other Christian factions) teachings.
But you can still be Catholic and have premarital sex?
It's not like the kids are old enough to know what that is anyways.

I think the more staggering issue is: this women is losing her job, her source of income, and something she most likely spent years of education on because of faith.
Last edited by technicolour at Jun 13, 2010,
Page 1 of 2