For those of you who are, or have been in bands, what is/was your practice schedule? Also, what do you think works the best?

I just thought it might be interesting how other UGer's bands handle practice.

Now that's it's the summer, my band's looking at every weekend. Me and the bassist live about a forty minutes from the guitarists, so getting to practice is a bit difficult. Instead of having a bunch of short daily practices, we practice ALL weekend; we go to the practice space friday (either my house, or the lead guitarists house, depending on if I'm with my mom or dad for that weekend), practice and write that day, and then spend the night. Saturday morning, once everyone is awake, and, preferably, has eaten, we practice and write all day, although it's usually interrupted once or twice throughout the day for whatever distracts us; we usually save this for later in the night, when the parents of the house won't let us practice anyways. We then spend the night there Saturday, and practice and write a bit more Sunday before we part ways.
During the school year, we tried to practice every Sunday that we could. But now that summer break is right around the corner, I'm guessing we'll be practicing more often.
This is better suited to the band leading forum.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
This is better suited to the band leading forum.
It isn't as much looking for advice though, as just a way for us to discuss it; usually, if somebody's in there, they're looking for advice.
Well I go to school with my band so we walk home after school the the drummer and other guitarist house and just rock out till 9ish. But now that it's summer we will probly be playin all night if we sleep over. So pretty much Whenevr we can get together.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
My last band we had a three-hour practice session each Saturday and then we took various songs home to practice on our own.

We had the same problem in that the band was spread out right across the city, and in one case, our drummer was travelling for almost an hour to get to practices.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
My last band we had a three-hour practice session each Saturday and then we took various songs home to practice on our own.

We had the same problem in that the band was spread out right across the city, and in one case, our drummer was travelling for almost an hour to get to practices.
I can say now that it can suck for drummers, which is why I'm glad we can do every other at my house; disassembling, reassembling, re-disassembling, and re-reassembling my kit all in one weekend gets old pretty fast....
Normally every week but we agreed to stop practice at the beggining of May because we all have exams that we want to do well in and band practice would distract us from that. We're hoping to do very regular, frequent practice during the long holidays. It doesn't help that I live more than an hour away from the practice space though..
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
almost every saturday noon to 5 then we party haha
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
Quote by TheReverend724
We practice whenever all of us don't have work

Always this.
Also, end all practices at Taco Bell. It boosts morale
We used to on a school week; Go round our Guitarist's house on Saturday at 12, stay over and go at 12-1pm on Sunday, every fortnight. Practise from 12, or when ever everyone was there - 6, then Party all night. Then practise on Sunday from 9 - we went.

When we were off it was loosely: Monday round my house (I was bassist), Wednesday at our Rhythm Guitarist's, And Saturday at our Guitarist's. Our Drummer and Singer lived about 15 minute drive, probably an hour walk, with guitars and amps. None of us had transport there at weekend, but they had transport to us. So they came to us.
Last edited by Negociator at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by Jon777
During the school year, we tried to practice every Sunday that we could. But now that summer break is right around the corner, I'm guessing we'll be practicing more often.

Same here. Every sunday we had a 2-3 hour practice during the school year, but since our summer vacation started yesterday I'm hoping we'll be able to practice 2 or 3 days a week and actually start getting more shows.

Edit: Our schedule is pretty easy to figure out though since there's only three of us and we all live within 10 minutes of each other.
in my last band, we would practice every weekend, but we would never get anything done. Now, as a solo artist, I try to practice throughout the week, but work on material on weekends
CURRENT SETUP
Fender Starcaster strat (3 tone sunburst)
Squier P-bass (metallic blue)
Fender SP-10 amp
Crate amp (given to me, dont know model)
Digitech RP350 multi-effects pedal

Keeping life simple, one bass note at a time
Quote by herby190
I can say now that it can suck for drummers, which is why I'm glad we can do every other at my house; disassembling, reassembling, re-disassembling, and re-reassembling my kit all in one weekend gets old pretty fast....

I had the same problem with worship band last year- I played a couple of times a month on drums and it was such an issue getting the kit there and assembling/disassembling it that I ended up learning to play right-handed so I could use the church kit.

(Yeah, I know I could just have rearranged the kit but services were divided into two parts with a drummer for each and there wasn't time in service to rearrange kits).
My old band practiced every sunday. The band I'm in now we just practice whenever, we're really just 4 friends playing together not super serious.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I had the same problem with worship band last year- I played a couple of times a month on drums and it was such an issue getting the kit there and assembling/disassembling it that I ended up learning to play right-handed so I could use the church kit.

(Yeah, I know I could just have rearranged the kit but services were divided into two parts with a drummer for each and there wasn't time in service to rearrange kits).
Oh, so you played free-hand? Did you just have to neglect the ride cymbal, or learn to use the crash as one?

I play at my church (I'm Atheist, but it keeps my mom happy, and gets me experience playing with a band), and I can say I've definitely had fun with it.
My band currently is only me, guitarist/singer, and a drummer, and we have a drumset at our school, so we practiced there everyday for a couple hours.
now we meet at his house every couple days
Quote by herby190
Oh, so you played free-hand? Did you just have to neglect the ride cymbal, or learn to use the crash as one?

I play at my church (I'm Atheist, but it keeps my mom happy, and gets me experience playing with a band), and I can say I've definitely had fun with it.

No, I played free-hand, with everything played as normal but the other way round to what I would have played.

I tend not to use too much cymbal because it really only fits the songs my band played in certain places and I had a tendency to really over-do it sometimes.
My old band would practice basically every other evening of the week, and weekends. The only problem was that half the time there was one member who couldnt make it. When we replaced him, another guy had something come up, and so on and so forth.
My band had a practice in February 2008. We had one every wednesday lunchtime for about a year, now we only really practise when we have a gig, which is like twice a year
We practice 3-5 every Saturday. We quit early sometimes because we have to make the offsale at the bar an hour away.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG