it's called "harmonics" it happens on the 5th, 7th, 12th 17th(?), 19th(?) and 24th(if you have one) frets on a guitar.

you do this by putting your finger about 1mm above the FRET WIRE not the middle of the fret and strum. fairly simple when you get used to them. youtube john mayers song "in your atmosphere" he uses them to perfection in the intro.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by blake347
I've seen several people make this ringing sound with their guitar by slightly touching the frets like in the beginning of this video, how do they do it? Thanks.


They're called harmonics, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa_DiD0wGdQ and part 2.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”