I used to play guitar in a rock band. I'm sure lots of people on this site do.

Sometimes when I tell (told) people I play guitar in a band, they tell me I don't look like a musician. I've had this happen numerous times. I've had one person tell me I look more like a stage hand. I've had another person tell me I was TOO SMALL to be a musician.

I just wanted to bring up how stupid I think this mentality is. Why would somebody need to look a certain way to be able to play good music? In particular, why would somebody need to be a certain size to be a musician? This is not the NFL.

I think it's shit like this that gives rock and pop a bad name. Rock will be forever associated with being able to play and look the part and not just with making good music.

I play mostly jazz now, and if you can play, you can play. Nobody cares WTF you look like. Discuss...
Always, I dress pretty preppy most of the times so when I tell people I listen and play Tech Death they proclaim "bs"
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
One of the best guitar players I know is this tiny jewish dude.

Obviously everyone will say it doesn't matter what you look like to play music.

/thread
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
There was one awesome african american lady on american idol, she was a bit on the big size, she had a phenomenal voice, but the judges said they couldn't accept her because she didn't have the idol "image" but soon later this suzan boyle chick comes along? Jeez.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
One of the best guitarists I know looks like an inbred 14 year old chav

Supposedly I look like a musician, I don't really know what one's meant to look like though
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Jun 13, 2010,
You don't have to look a certain way to play music.
That doesn't mean that you, TS, look like a musician.
I was randomly told by a friend's gf I looked like someone who'd be in a band, hah. After a pause, she added that I looked like probably a bassist
Last edited by pete-c at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by Tarsplitter
You don't have to look a certain way to play music.
That doesn't mean that you, TS, look like a musician.

I find it interesting that anybody who has ever been in a band probably doesn't think this way.

But lots of people who have never played in a band think that you have to look like one of the members of Avenged Sevenfold to play in an amateur band of all things. I think it's ridiculously ignorant.
Quote by IbanezRGS
There was one awesome african american lady on american idol, she was a bit on the big size, she had a phenomenal voice, but the judges said they couldn't accept her because she didn't have the idol "image" but soon later this suzan boyle chick comes along? Jeez.

If I told people I was going on tour with Guns and Roses or Metallica as a guitar player and they gave me a weird look I would understand (as stupid as I think that is). But it's not like that. I tell them I play guitar in an amateur band without even specifying a style and they give me surprised looks and comments.
Quote by jogogonne
I find it interesting that anybody who has ever been in a band probably doesn't think this way.

But lots of people who have never played in a band think that you have to look like one of the members of Avenged Sevenfold to play in an amateur band of all things. I think it's ridiculously ignorant.

i kinda look like a younger johnny christ from a7x

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
I would start by seeing if you want to be a real musician.If and you just want to look like one, see what kind of musician you want to see like.One the best guitarists I know this guy a little Jewish.Of course everyone will say it does not matter what you are looking to play music.
I pretty much blend in with the crowd, nothing special looking about me (some people mistake me for a mexican even tho im german ) But i met a chick once and it came up in conversation that i play guitar, she didnt believe me so i promped her to ask some of the people we both knew and the next time we saw each other she practically wanted my autograph guess my friends think highly of my playing
I look like I'd be in a band, but I don't try. I just like wearing band shirts. I mean, I wear shirts for bands in genres that I don't play such as Pink Floyd and Less than Jake. Also, I don't wear pants so people know I'm a rocker.
i look like a scenester/hipster, so i look like a wannabe musician so the teeny bit of talent i have surprises people cause i look like i should blow complete dick.
Last edited by GoodnightHero at Jun 15, 2010,
I look like a mesh of Layne Staley and Kurt Cobain, but I generally wear skate tees and Vans (with the exception of my band t-shirts) so that people always assume I listen to/play punk rock, which is a far cry from the Deftones/A Perfect Circle/Chevelle-esque music I listen to and write.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Because in order to be a musician, you have to look like this guy.

At least according to 100% of the idiots in the world
Ibanez RGA 121
Seagull Enourage
Peavey Ultra+
Marshall 1960B

Quote by Macabre_Turtle
You have my sword, espnukka.

Quote by smartalec007
And my bow!

Quote by The Buttmonkey
And my Axe!