I really have no real solid knowledge on amps or anything. Being an acoustic player, I've never really messed in the amp area. But now since I want to expand my tone and even go into maybe some metal I'm getting myself an electric guitar and amp.

Basically I'm looking for something under $250?

It has to have:
-At least 30W since I'm planning on playing with a drummer at times
-Some effects (not to the extent of a Spider but I'd like at least some)
-Be versatile (nice gains with nice cleans)
-Compatible with pedals
-Works with active pickups well (EMG's)
-HEADPHONE JACK (it HAS to have a headphone jack)

And I'm willing to go used.
Last edited by xGoozx at Jun 13, 2010,
for your budget you will have abit of a hard time finding something decent, the hybrid amps may be worth a look at as they have a preamp valve which should help with the emg's, one of the best amps you could probably find would be an early roland jc120 jazz chorus, i don't think it has a headphone jack though
I'll start off with some general advice since you're new to electrics:

For under $250 you can get practically any 30W and quite a few with higher wattage. Typically every amp will have a headphone jack, I can't remember ever seeing one without and pedals aren't a kind of thing that an amp has compatibility issues with. The pedals are put between the amp and the guitar with the same cables that would be plugged in to each without a pedal between (if I'm not being quite clear, just tell someone at a shop where I assume you'd be getting an amp that you're new to electrics and they'll demonstrate the whole setup, it's quite simple).

I'm more of a passive pickup guy so I'd personally suggest a Fender amp because they have a simply beautiful clean tone, but since you've stated your preference for actives I'd take a look at Marshalls. I'm not too familiar with them but everyone I know that uses actives uses Marshalls more than anything else. What I'd suggest more than anything would be to go to a shop in person and ask someone to give you advice there and try the amp yourself before you put down money on it.
Roland Cube 30X
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Orange CR35LDX
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I would go with the orange as well. with that budget it's gonna be hard to get what you're looking for.

check out a peavey ultra. affordable and can get pretty metal. also sounds great with an acoustic/electric
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
the cube 30x used to be the go to 30 watt hi gain amp, but the peavey vypyr outdoes it, so i'd get that. the vox vt30's alright, but its more classic rock oriented. also, if you're willing to go used on craigslist, the line 6 flextone can be found for 250 and is the best amp for the price imo

EDIT: ^the peavey ultra is a really old school amp, and it is really good, but pretty rare to come by one, and usually they're over 300 dollars
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jun 13, 2010,
Either a peavey royal 8 it's 5 watts but you would be surprised how loud 5 tube watts can get and then there's the peavey vypyr 30 yea look it up you won't need another amp for a while and. It's less than what you want to pay and you won't need stomp boxes or pedals
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Most all valve amps don't have headphone jacks. A solid state one will usually have one.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by ishmonkey
5 tube watts

Dude, a watt is a watt. 'Loudness' is based on so much more than simple power output... you should talk about why a 'tube watt' is louder than a 'regular watt'.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
Dude, a watt is a watt. 'Loudness' is based on so much more than simple power output... you should talk about why a 'tube watt' is louder than a 'regular watt'.

why don't you go get a solid state 5 watt amp And a 5 watt tube amp and tell me which one will get louder. << that sounded rude sorry but seriously tube amps are twice as loud as solid state.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

the problem with 5 watt tube amps whilst they are very good and practical, when it comes to a jam sitaution you realy are at the mercy of the drummer, whilst my blackstar ht-5 may only be 5 watts when i use the speaker the most i go upto is 3 on the overdrive volume, and that's only to get it to a state which i think sounds good, and then i feel i need hearing protection. as to the question why tube amps are louder i honestly can't say how it is but i think the powertube acts as a magnifier and as a result enables a low wattage amp to sound similar to that of a 15watt solid state amp, even then it's dependent on the quality of the circuit
Last edited by britishsligean at Jun 13, 2010,
Tubes can be pushed to more than 2 times their RMS but solid state can't exceed the amount of wards it has
Quote by BrokenDstring

I'm probably gonna start looking around for the cube, vypry, and orange