i have the toneport and use it for vocals,,its decent i think..i was thinking on buying the art preamp to improve the sound...would it really help me improve my sound? or should i just keep using the toneport? Thanks!
The ART Tube Pres are junk. Most preamps don't get good till about the $400 range.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Preamps that I heard are decent and are around $200:

-M-Audio DMP3
-PreSonus Bluetube Stereo

I am only going off what I have been told.
Quote by lockwolf
The ART Tube Pres are junk. Most preamps don't get good till about the $400 range.

+1 and also at that point it may be worth upgrading to a better interface with higher end converters in there to even better improve the sound.

Stick with the Toneport for now until you have more cash to spend on the overall audio chain.
Quote by lockwolf
The ART Tube Pres are junk.

I beg to differ and so do quite a lot of people: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/495485-can-you-tell-difference-art-vs-great-river.html

While generally it IS true that cheap stuff sounds cheap and you get what you pay for, the ART tube pre is an exception. After reading the thread in the link, I got one for the hell of it and while it's not an API3124+, it's very decent and a steal for the price.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Quote by miguelito2729
I beg to differ and so do quite a lot of people: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/495485-can-you-tell-difference-art-vs-great-river.html

While generally it IS true that cheap stuff sounds cheap and you get what you pay for, the ART tube pre is an exception. After reading the thread in the link, I got one for the hell of it and while it's not an API3124+, it's very decent and a steal for the price.

Not a good test IMO. Through my speakers, the ART Tube Pre sample is holding back a lot of the highs that you can hear in the Great River one. Also, the GR has more punch than the tube pre.
Quote by lockwolf
Not a good test IMO. Through my speakers, the ART Tube Pre sample is holding back a lot of the highs that you can hear in the Great River one. Also, the GR has more punch than the tube pre.

LOL, a bit late now though since you know which is which because whether you like it or not, subconsciously you know you like the GR better ($$$$). In the thread OP even states that since the reveal, votes keep pouring in but in favor of GR. But we're talking about professionals here, people who do this day in day out and live from this, imagine what the general listener hears. I don't know if your situation is the same, let me know.

What do you think would be a better test?
And also what's your monitoring setup? (D/A and speakers, monitor controller if any?)
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Quote by miguelito2729

Thanks for that link!
Quote by miguelito2729
LOL, a bit late now though since you know which is which because whether you like it or not, subconsciously you know you like the GR better ($$$$). In the thread OP even states that since the reveal, votes keep pouring in but in favor of GR. But we're talking about professionals here, people who do this day in day out and live from this, imagine what the general listener hears. I don't know if your situation is the same, let me know.

What do you think would be a better test?
And also what's your monitoring setup? (D/A and speakers, monitor controller if any?)

I listened to the clips before I decided which I liked, then I went to page 3 to see which was which (even though it was pretty obvious from the start). Who said they were all professionals? Gear Slutz, like most other boards out there on the internet, are free for anyone to join. Sure, there a better chance of finding someone there who knows what they're talking about but they aren't all pros.

As I said though, you can tell that the ART is squishing some of the highs not squished by the GR. To me, thats something I don't like especially if it gets used on everything.
Quote by lockwolf

Quote by miguelito2729
I beg to differ and so do quite a lot of people:

While generally it IS true that cheap stuff sounds cheap and you get what you pay for,...
... I got one for the hell of it and while it's not an API3124+, it's very decent and a steal for the price.

I own a few ART Tube pres so it didn't even take listening to the second recording to figure which is which.

I think what people are missing is that both preamps will do well if they are used to take advantage of their specific characteristics.

To me, rock/pop was never about subtle details like hearing a sax's keys click or the felt pads leak. But if you're recording say Mark Knopfler, failing to record the subtle brushing of his fingers on the strings, the finger meat plucking harmonics and the volume swells as he bends, is, in essence, losing all the complex details that make his playing so unique.

Eventually, you go for the best gear capable of capturing subtlety and finesse, but fall back on some lesser, cheaper gear when these sounds are unwanted and eventually get in the way of the tune.