So I've recently seen in a store a beautiful Gibson Les Paul Studio 50s tribute in a worn heritage cherry sunburst finish. But the problem is, there are P90 pickups installed into the guitar. Can p90s be used for metal? or do i have to do a pickup change? I currently have $1400 in my allowance if it helps
There's plenty of single coil shredders out there.
And this is a humbucker.
so, I wouldn't say it's suited as it's not the general high output metal players go for, but it would definatley play metal.
Hell, a ukelele could play metal.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Anything can be used to play anything, you can play metal on a mandolin if you really wanted. In terms of typical tones, you could certainly get original '70s metal tones out of P-90s, if you have the right amp. If you're talking about Drop A death grindcore metal then you would probably want to change the pickups for something hum-cancelling.

Quote by Nameless742

And this is a humbucker.
A P-90 isn't a humbucker, it's a single coil.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Nameless742
There's plenty of single coil shredders out there.
And this is a humbucker.
so, I wouldn't say it's suited as it's not the general high output metal players go for, but it would definatley play metal.
Hell, a ukelele could play metal.

So can i get a professional to fit it for a humbucker?
P90's have their own shape so you can;t swap them out for HB or SC. They're very vintage sounding and iirc are moderate to low output. The'll do stoner/doom/sludge metal nicely but your not going to get the br00tz.

Yo could get someone to route it for humbuckers but even then P90's are wider so there will be a gap that might not get covered by the pickup rings, it'd also be insanely expensive.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Last edited by robertito696 at Jun 13, 2010,
a friend of mine uses them, he can play GnR and sound good with them, but real heavy stuff doesnt work
P90 pickups are MADE of metal. They should go alright.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
If you are getting it anyway buy it play it for a week and if the p90s suck then swap em for a set of dimarzio Or something
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Quote by ishmonkey
If you are getting it anyway buy it play it for a week and if the p90s suck then swap em for a set of dimarzio Or something

+1

or keep em and play pink floyd covers.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Dimarzio makes a super distortion in a p90 shape.
Quote by Demonhunter04
You are my hero nodurquack.
Quote by Nameless742
+1

or keep em and play pink floyd covers.

While I do like pink floyd covers, Gilmour used a strat for more or less every pink floyd song... One notable exception is the solo from Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2), for which he uses a les paul.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Yea there's too much hype about emgs I mean they're good but dimarzio definetly hold it's own and
half the price
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
The problem is, If you don't like the P90's you are going to have to route the guitar to fit Buckers. So now you are going to have to pay a luthier to route your new guitar for buckers.
Or you could get some Mini buckers that will fit in there. But why?

Seriously If you want a Gibson that bad, you could find a used Studio for half of what you have in your little piggy bank. Or for $100-200 more you could get a used traditional pro.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
I'm confused. You go from an LTD H-1001 to a LP studio with P90's?

Not to mention, every day you post something new about a guitar you might buy...