Hey everybody

So I am a proud owner of 1973 Fender Bassman 10 Tube combo amp- its great, full of creamy, chimey, Fender delicousness, however; I was using it to do some recording and had to muffle the speakers with a house of blankets, many of them were heavy and included some rubber rugs, but needless to say it got hot... hot as hell... Them tubes were glowing like crazy after a good 8 hours of recording. Lately I have noticed it heating up to pretty hot temperatures while playing, the chasis next to the on/off switch won't get hot enough to burn you, but definitely gets close to it and can be uncomfortable to switch off after a few hours of jammin.

Does anyone know if I could have screwed something up by letting it run to hot (during recording) that may cause it to run too hot now (just while jammin)? More importantly, how can I tell if a tube amp is running too hot? Like I said, I love the amp to death, and I know if it is running too hot it can create calcification on the circuitry and kill the amp. What should I do short of taking it to an amp tech? Is there anything? Possibly a rule of thumb to tell when it is running too hot?
Last edited by MediaJones at Jun 13, 2010,
Tubes get pretty toasty when they're running. It's normal for any tube amp to be hot after being on for that long, especially when they're covered in blankets. If anything I wouldn't cover the amp like that again to allow the tubes to get some ventilation.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II