Hey guys I'm looking for a new amp head for metalcore/death metal and I really cant decide on what to get. I want a good Killswitch Engage, Bullet for my Valentine kind of tone. But also able to get a death metal heavy tone. I don't want to spend over $1,600. Ive been looking at the Peavey 6505+ and the Bugera 333xl. Open for any suggestions.
My Setup:
ESP LTD EX-CZ
Schecter Damien 7
Peavey 6505+
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
Boss DD-6
Last edited by taylo234 at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by taylo234
Hey guys I'm looking for a new amp head for metalcore/death metal and I really cant decide on what to get. I want a good Killswitch Engage, Bullet for my Valentine kind of tone. But also able to get a death metal heavy tone. I don't want to spend over $2,000. Ive been looking at the Peavey 6505+ and the Bugera 333xl. Open for any suggestions.

The 6505+ will do everything you want easily, you won't quite be able to get modern Killswitch tone because they use stupidly good gear now but it'll get you to their older sounds, BFMV still use the 6505+ and it'll do death metal pretty well, you just need to EQ it right.

If you're going to go Bugera then try the 6262, it's supposed to be a 6505+ clone.

Edit: Just realised what you said your budget is... DEAR GOD boy, for that kind of money you could get something truly special like an ENGL Powerball or a Splawn Nitro.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 13, 2010,
@Zaphod_Beeblebr

Yeah but that's like the MAX i will go. I was looking at a powerball for a while but i dont think i need something like that haha. For the Bugera 6262, why choose that over the 333xl?

Edit: Im gonna lower my price to $1,600 haha.
My Setup:
ESP LTD EX-CZ
Schecter Damien 7
Peavey 6505+
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
Boss DD-6
Last edited by taylo234 at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by taylo234
@Zaphod_Beeblebr

Yeah but that's like the MAX i will go. I was looking at a powerball for a while but i dont think i need something like that haha. For the Bugera 6262, why choose that over the 333xl?

Because the 6262 is modelled on the 6505+ head where the 333xl is taken from the old Peavey XXX head (as far as I'm aware), capable of metal but not made for it. If you're looking for proper metal tone then the 6262 is the way to go.

However, there are many options in between such as the ENGL Fireball, Fryette Deliverance 60, ENGL Screamer, Blackstar Series One 100w... the list could go on and on but I don't care to list them because it takes toomuch effort to research another country's prices.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Ahh, i see, then between the 6262 and the 6505+ which do you recommend?
My Setup:
ESP LTD EX-CZ
Schecter Damien 7
Peavey 6505+
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
Boss DD-6
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Because the 6262 is modelled on the 6505+ head where the 333xl is taken from the old Peavey XXX head (as far as I'm aware), capable of metal but not made for it. If you're looking for proper metal tone then the 6262 is the way to go.

However, there are many options in between such as the ENGL Fireball, Fryette Deliverance 60, ENGL Screamer, Blackstar Series One 100w... the list could go on and on but I don't care to list them because it takes toomuch effort to research another country's prices.

Not made for metal my ass, I have the 333 and the thing practically plays metal on its own. The distortion is tight as hell if you know how to EQ it. Absolutely brutal distortion, I can get death metal tones like In Flames or Behemoth without a boost. It sounds even more killer now that I have a sonic maximizer in the loop... but the Peavey 6505+ is my dream amp, so I would go for that if I was you..
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by taylo234
Ahh, i see, then between the 6262 and the 6505+ which do you recommend?

6505+

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I have a 333XL combo and it's the perfect amp for me. Until I can afford my Triple Rec, this'll do perfect. It's got a great high-gain tone, great cleans, but the crunch channel isn't much to brag about. I've got it EQ'd pretty good though so it's growing on me.

Just thought I'd throw a little input out there.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Try for a used Rivera Knucklehead Tre you truly would not believe the gain on those things and the clean channel is incredible as well
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
The 6505 + would fit absolute perfect. I would also look at Mesa Double or Triple Rectifiers.
Mesa's are too expensive, but a triple rect is probably my dream amp.
My Setup:
ESP LTD EX-CZ
Schecter Damien 7
Peavey 6505+
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
Boss DD-6
6505+

I've seen used Triple Rec half stacks for $2,000. Not bad considering thats about how much you'd spend on a 6505+ head and cab.
I'd go with a the 6505 over the plus since its tighter and crunchier despite what many people think. Also you might want to try the new 6534+ and see how you like it
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

You could probably get a Triple rec head for 1100 used.

Are you looking for just a head or head and cab?
I'm looking for both, but mainly the head. The price range is for the head, but im open for half stacks.

And whats the difference between the 6534+ and the 6505+?
My Setup:
ESP LTD EX-CZ
Schecter Damien 7
Peavey 6505+
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
Boss DD-6
Quote by taylo234
I'm looking for both, but mainly the head. The price range is for the head, but im open for half stacks.

And whats the difference between the 6534+ and the 6505+?

Well, basically a 6534+ is the exact same thing as a 6505+, but the tubes are wired in a way that kills some extra noise made by high-gain tube heads.

It also has a Bright switch on the rhythm channel.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Well, basically a 6534+ is the exact same thing as a 6505+, but the tubes are wired in a way that kills some extra noise made by high-gain tube heads.

That's weird, it seems like if they did something like that it would cost more not less haha.
My Setup:
ESP LTD EX-CZ
Schecter Damien 7
Peavey 6505+
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
Boss DD-6
Quote by taylo234
That's weird, it seems like if they did something like that it would cost more not less haha.

Well there are some cosmetic differences, too..

Also Peavey XXX might be worth looking at, i've heard they do well with a lot of gain. along with the beloved Marshall JCM 800. The JCM 800 is probably one of the best amps i've ever played personally. Either that or the Mesa Triple Rec. Both sound great, deciding between them? Very tough, might give the mesa the slight edge only cause of the 800's lack of features, but that might actually be a good thing. The mesa probably also has a lot more stock gain
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 13, 2010,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Well there are some cosmetic differences, too..

Yeah, i personally think the 6505+ looks better in those two pics. So do you think the different wiring will really make a difference?
My Setup:
ESP LTD EX-CZ
Schecter Damien 7
Peavey 6505+
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
Boss DD-6
Quote by taylo234
Yeah, i personally think the 6505+ looks better in those two pics. So do you think the different wiring will really make a difference?

Personally, I don't think it matters. You're going to buy a noise-gate for whatever head you get. So it doesn't really matter if one makes less noise than the other.

I can't find any pictures of the back of the 6534+ so I can't tell you about any hook-up differences without reading... and I'd rather not right now.

The 6534+ almost seems like it would be more British voiced.

While they could sound exactly the same, the 6505+ is a better choice.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Personally, I don't think it matters. You're going to buy a noise-gate for whatever head you get. So it doesn't really matter if one makes less noise than the other.

Yeah I'm hoping to god my NS-2 does the job. xD
My Setup:
ESP LTD EX-CZ
Schecter Damien 7
Peavey 6505+
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
Boss DD-6
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

...no. The 6534 has EL34 tubes, which give more of a 'British' tone than the 6L6 tubes in the 6505, which are more 'American' modern metal-y.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by chadreed32
You've got 1.6 Grand.....

SPLAWN NITRO

Where on earth are you going to find a Nitro for that kind of price? They're $1950 on Splawn's own site...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
rivera ktre
splawn nitro
titan 200w

or just spend 2k and grab a caa od100se+ and be done with it forever.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
the 6505, 6262 or 333XL would be great for all of those.

that being said, i PERSONALLY would get an ENGL, prolly a fireball.

But i love that engl lead tone.

I do love my bugera though, very much so infact. I played the 6262 and 6505 back to back MANY times when making my decision between the two. ultimately, i liked the Booger better, so i bought it.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by wolfeman85
Try for a used Rivera Knucklehead Tre you truly would not believe the gain on those things and the clean channel is incredible as well

the ktre has more gain then anything alive.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Pack your guitar in its case and take your happy ass out amp shopping!!! Serious man, what works for me might not work for you. Buying an amp off the internut when you do not know what it is you are buying or want other then to sound like band PDQ is insane. Shop with your ears not the opinions of some clown off the internut.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Thrasher51
...no. The 6534 has EL34 tubes, which give more of a 'British' tone than the 6L6 tubes in the 6505, which are more 'American' modern metal-y.

+1. El34s...6534...