I'm going over the list of things I want in order to produce my music and I was thinking about Monitors, when I also remembered Headphones could be an option.

Which would provide more accurate mixing?
monitors generally, the big problem with that is that you need to make sure your mixing room is properly acoustically treated otherwise you won't get an accurate mix.
Quote by z4twenny
monitors generally, the big problem with that is that you need to make sure your mixing room is properly acoustically treated otherwise you won't get an accurate mix.

Ugh, well I doubt that it is because it's a two person bedroom made in the 70's

But I'm sure either of them would be better than just plain computer speakers.
moniters have flatter response, and are more designed for mixing. headphones work if you mix on a bunch of sets. basicly you want your mix to sound good on everything, which moniters are good for.

this is something someone pointed me to recently:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ARC/
havent tried it, and i probably wont since i would rather spend the $400 on a pair of good moniters. but if it does what it is supposed to, it should make whatever speakers you are mixing on work pretty much like good moniters. seems too good to be true of course, but it is interesting.
http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles/headphones.htm

Can you mix on headphones?
Yes sure, but you need to get a feel for what the overall mix is supposed to sound like on them by testing playback on other devices.

I still mix on phones myself but can't wait to get a set of monitors.
I cross-reference on a few different computer speaker setups and some bookshelf speakers right now...I think they all do quite well.
the problem with using headphones is that it doesn't leave enough space between the speakers and you ears so that the most common problem is that the bass frequencies don't develop enough in the air so you'd be turning the bass frequencies up a lot and then when you take them to a set of speakers the bass would quite overpowering.
Monitors are the best way to go, and I wouldn't worry too much about the room you're in, yes it does help a lot having an acoustically sound room but you can get away with it. Once you have a mix you're happy with you can listen to it on different systems, maybe try using the same monitors in different rooms so you can see how they react, and so you know if your room accents the treble frequencies or whatever
MySpace Profile
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

I mix on Monitors but also reference on my headphones. Both should sound pretty good.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Also, if monitors are used to get clarity in the audio, would it make sense to just use those as my computer speakers as well?
You could...but you don't get that coloration that most people enjoy hearing in movies and music when not mixing a song down.

On my upstairs LCD TV we have a set of studio monitors just to bypass the plastic sounding on board ones and it sounds fairly good...
Quote by jof1029
moniters have flatter response, and are more designed for mixing. headphones work if you mix on a bunch of sets. basicly you want your mix to sound good on everything, which moniters are good for.

this is something someone pointed me to recently:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ARC/
havent tried it, and i probably wont since i would rather spend the $400 on a pair of good moniters. but if it does what it is supposed to, it should make whatever speakers you are mixing on work pretty much like good moniters. seems too good to be true of course, but it is interesting.

i actually have a copy of this, i haven't gotten around to installing it and running it yet (a friend of mine who is more experienced in sound engineering is going to help me set it up) i've heard nothing but good things about it, really though it's not for correcting a room completely, its more fore fine tuning a room that has tiling / padding but isn't perfectly flat. its actually intended to be used on a decent recording setup (ie decent monitors in a decently padded room) for best results.

to the TS, monitors are almost always a better choice than headphones, but a good set of matched monitors is going to run $500 + each (so a thousand) and another couple hundred (i think i spent about $400 between the room kit and bass traps) or you can take and get a set of nice flat mixing headphones that should be almost perfect for around $250, personally i got a set of dt 770's and they bleed like hell for recording but are pretty accurate on playback.
Last edited by z4twenny at Jun 14, 2010,