high end squires. Maybe you can get a used fender. maybe even a new MIM. If not check out some schecters.. Remember most "metal" basses and basses with humbuckers tend to be muddy.
about a year ago, i went to guitar center to buy a bass without a real budget. i wasn't going to spend over $1000... I played every bass in the shop $1000 and under. In my opinion, the best bass there was a Soundgear by Ibanez SRX2EX2 ... it was $299. it's not a very common bass but i would suggest it. i've been playing it off and on for a year and i even gigged with it last summer. great bass for the price.
Ibanez, Schecter, Traben, high end Squires, these are all pretty good brands that many people seem to like. My advice is to go to your local Guitar Center or Sam Ash or whatever and try out the basses in your price range. Also don't be afraid to look use, it may get you a better bass for less money.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
I highly reccomend ESP's. VERY good basses. I purchased the B-104 for $200, and I feel like I got an amazing deal. The bass literally feels like an extension of my own body.
Take a look at Schecter's Radian models. They go for as low as $200.00 and the one I played was surprisingly good.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Look at Ibanez SR's, Squier Vintage Modified Jazz's and Precisions, used MIM Precisions and Jazzs, Traben Arrays, used Spector Legends, and Schecter Stilletto's. All should run you up to $400.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Schecters are the best for the money IMO, the cheapest model is better than some places average model. Now i say this just as a fanboy an epiphone thunderbird, at least give it a shot and if you dont like it then oh well, just make sure to play before you make a set decision on any of them.
as stated above, Schecter, Ibanez and the CV Squiers
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
Thanks everyone who replied with an actual answer, yes I know there is a FAQ and I've already looked at it and I just wanted to hear some opinions on some guitars so when I go to the guitar store I have some suggested guitars to try out. Also I have tried the Epiphone Thunderbird and I don't know if it was just me but I thought it was really neck heavy, but I do love the look. Anyone ever try the Ibanez SRX2EX1?
Quote by salgala2000
high end squires. Maybe you can get a used fender. maybe even a new MIM. If not check out some schecters.. Remember most "metal" basses and basses with humbuckers tend to be muddy.

"High end squires"

hahaha
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists