so i love stingrays. every time i hear one, im like, thats the tone i want. i have played several through my amp at guitar center, and its exactly what i want. ive got one problem though. i dont have that kind of money. so i remember seeing these olp basses when i first was starting out. my local gc has one thats like 180. if i totally pimp it out, ie. new pickup, eq, tuner, bridge, and other stuff, will i have an awesome bass that will sound like a musicman stringray? also, does it play like one? id assume so, but i need to make sure.

thanks everyone
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
For the kinda money you'd probably end up spending you could probably look at getting one of the old Musicman Stingray SUB basses.
Here's the link: http://www.music-man.com/specs/instruments_sub.html
They had to stop making them because they were way too good for the money and were a little too much competition for the stingray.
'97 Modulus Flea Bass w/ Lane Poor
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
EB Volume Pedal, EHX Black Finger, EHX POG, Malekko B:Assmaster Germanium, EHX Holy Grail, KORG Pitch Black
www.myspace.com/astheends
well, id kinda upgrade it as i go, as i would not be able to get one for a while. i would get the bass, and a new pickup, like an emg or something first.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
If you really want to upgrade an OLP I'd suggest fitting a bartolini MMC pickup and there's a lot of different EQ's available, aguilar, seymour duncan and you can probably even get a MusicMan pre amp if you look hard enough. It's a good idea, but in terms of build quality and sheer 'feel', an OLP will never be a proper MusicMan. They're good for the money and I'm not showing any disrespect but they're just not the same.
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
EB Volume Pedal, EHX Black Finger, EHX POG, Malekko B:Assmaster Germanium, EHX Holy Grail, KORG Pitch Black
i know it wont be exactly the same. theres a $1500 difference. im just wondering if this is worth doing to have a bass that looks and sounds like a musicman
Quote by BobDetroit
Personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money upgrading a bass like that, even if it is gradually. I would rather save the money up until I had enough to look around at getting some form of real MusicMan. That's just my personal opinion but of course it's entirely up to you.
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
Save your money for a Sterling Ray 34. You'll be much happier and you'll have a much better bass.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
i wont have that kind of money for a very long time. im a broke teenager with no cash. i could get the olp by having my rents pay for it, and ill work it off. cant do that with a sub or a ray 34. so those arent options, it would take me at least 3 years to do that
Quote by BobDetroit
It's going to sound better, but it's always going to be held back buy the things you will never be able to upgrade - mostly the body wood and neck.

You also might want to check out the Ibanez ATK - it comes pretty close to the Stingray tone, definitely put together better than the OLP and still not ridiculously expensive.
Quote by Captain Insano
It's going to sound better, but it's always going to be held back buy the things you will never be able to upgrade - mostly the body wood and neck.

You also might want to check out the Ibanez ATK - it comes pretty close to the Stingray tone, definitely put together better than the OLP and still not ridiculously expensive.

Beat me too it. For anyone looking for the Stingray sound on a budget, that can't afford one of the subs, an ATK is the way to go. Only really have good things to say about them; quality basses for the money.
I would recommend getting an ATK if you can't wait to scoop up a used SUB. Honestly, OLPs are OK starter basses, but aren't worth the effort of upgrading. As someone above said, the wood and neck are what they are, and you are paying for what you get. I personally can't stand the necks on OLPs. They feel a bit cheap.