Ok so I've been hearing alot about Reaper and I'm considering starting to use it...before i buy it, i just want to hear some input from you guys. whats good about it? what could be better? if so, then suggest another program...i just want to hear your opinion

Thanks
Why do you want to buy it? The free version is nearly as good. If you were going to spend money on a program I Would say look somewhere else.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Why do you want to buy it? The free version is nearly as good. If you were going to spend money on a program I Would say look somewhere else.

oh ok...i thought there might be some difference between the download and the real version. thanks for the info. you just saved me $60!
well, while you can technically use it for free forever, if you have the $60 it is very much worth paying for. that is a great price for the software, and i personally feel that anyone who is going to give that kind of offer deserves to have people pay for it.

but yeah, it is a great piece of software. got a few limitations and the midi editor isnt the greatest, but it is pretty solid.
Pros:
- very affordable (60$)
- Easy to use
- Great layout and workflow
- Supports MIDI and VST

Cons:
- May not be as easy to work with as higher priced softwares
- Doesn't include many high end great sounding VSTis out of the box.

I think it's a great piece of software but even still, I keep going back to Audition 3 and Sonar 8 Producer.

If interested see my youtube video for tutorials on Reaper.
Quote by keyboardcomrade
Ok so I've been hearing alot about Reaper and I'm considering starting to use it...before i buy it, i just want to hear some input from you guys. whats good about it? what could be better? if so, then suggest another program...i just want to hear your opinion

Thanks

You don't have to buy it, unless you're using it and making money with it? If I read correctly. They said if you're just a hobbyist you don't have to purchase it.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
^ thats not true. if you are using it for personal use, are an educational organization or are making less than $20k from using Reaper, then thats what the $60 license is for. if you are using Reaper in a studio where you are making over $20k, thats when you have to pay for the full license.

but you are supposed to buy it. the fact that it isnt crippled means you arent forced to. but for a $60 license, i dont see much reason not to pay for it. even if it takes you a few months to save up for it, i think its a worthy investment.
Yeah I agree completely with jof1029. Reaper is very good, I find my workflow goes much better than with Audition 3 (which I've used for years) or Cubase 5 (which I used for a few months). And besides the fact it doesn't come with many good VST's, it does exactly what it should do. $60 is a bargain.
Reaper is a great program, defiantly worth the price, I still haven't bought it, I really want to cause I know the producers could use the money, but I just need to get the money first.

Catharsis uses Reaper in his studio and he makes some awesome stuff, go check him out. Reaper is just as good as any other more expensive program, if you know how to use it right.
Reasons why you should buy it:

Hugely customisable workflow (you can create your own custom in daw actions, shortcuts and buttons if you want)
- Frequent updates with input from user base (Reaper users can request on the forum what they want and if its a highly requested feature it can be implemented)
- Super cheaper compared to anything else, for a recording newbie and even the consumate professional it matches up to any other professional DAW (Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools)
- Quality midi support (the standard piano roll as you would expect)
- Proper support for VSTs in visual mode (meaning virtual instruments, amp sims or outside plugins to your hearts content)
- Super functional routing and track bussing (much less of a PITA in this regard than Pro Tools)
- Its designed and created by the maker of Winamp and one other dude, this is not a stupid commercial operation where guys in suits are working out how to manipulate their user base to maximum effect, this is the real deal made by people that are passionate about what they do - support it!
- Super compact and well programmed, two guys know exactly what goes in and out, as a result the program is hugely compact and efficient <6Mb, compared to all the crap other DAWs throw at you to install; Reaper is all meat no fat
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
Last edited by Beefmo at Jun 15, 2010,