Hi, I'm taking a trip to GC this weekend (as much as I dislike it - the nearest place that deals Peavey) in a search to upgrade from my Spider III! I currently have two options as of now... A Peavey Classic 30 and a Marshall DSL 401. So heres the deal.

I really like blues tones like SRV, but I also love 80s rock (Extreme, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, etc.). If I were to get a Peavey Classic ($400 used) I would get some nice blues tones but would need to invest in a pedal to achieve desired hard rock tones. Then with the DSL ($500 used at the least) it has a nice clean tone, a good crunch tone, but a lifeless and harsh OD2 channel, which I need for 80s. Now I heard upgrading the speaker and tubes (JJs) vastly improves the amp, which would be ideal (Charvel + Marshall = 80s heaven) for me, but I'm not sure what would be best in the long run.

So should I invest in the cheaper Peavey Classic 30 and distort it with pedals, or buy the DSL 401 and upgrade the speaker and tubes? I don't plan on getting a new amp after this one for a long while, so I'm trying to make the best investment possible. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated, thanks for reading!
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
I'd have the Marshall. Though I'd get a DSL 50.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
I'd have the Marshall. Though I'd get a DSL 50.

I jam alot more than I do gig, so I'd rather have something 30-40 watts. Why would you choose the head over the combo?
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

Quote by baf250
I jam alot more than I do gig, so I'd rather have something 30-40 watts. Why would you choose the head over the combo?

Although this isn't a question for me, the wattage of each doesn't make much of a difference. Were it a 5 Watt amp vs. a 50 Watt amp, then yes, but a 50 Watt amp vs. a 40 Watt amp is negligible in terms of volume, and not that big a deal in terms of headroom. Besides, the DSL50 sounds a lot better than the 401, and you could buy the head and wait for a good cab to come around on craigslist.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Thank ibz_bucket, that's exactly why.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I much prefer the Classic 30

The C30 has enough gain for modern metal, just not the saturation... Which really isn't needed for your 80s rock, you could add an OD to the distortion channel, but that amp sounds great as is IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I much prefer the Classic 30

MC prefers the C30! I guess that's that!

Actually, this is the first time I've ever disagreed with MC...I just like the sound of the DSL401 more.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
MC prefers the C30! I guess that's that!

Actually, this is the first time I've ever disagreed with MC...I just like the sound of the DSL401 more.

I dunno, I've played a few 401s before and I thought they sounded horrible. The DSL50/100 is another story though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have the DSL100 and ****ing love it. I havent tried the 401, but if you can get a used 50/100, id go for it
Quote by MatrixClaw

I dunno, I've played a few 401s before and I thought they sounded horrible. The DSL50/100 is another story though.

Oh I agree that the DSL50s and 100s are better...I guess I just still prefer the 401s sound to the Classic 30...but to be fair, I haven't spent much time with either of the two.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Last edited by SLonergan at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by ibz_bucket
Although this isn't a question for me, the wattage of each doesn't make much of a difference. Were it a 5 Watt amp vs. a 50 Watt amp, then yes, but a 50 Watt amp vs. a 40 Watt amp is negligible in terms of volume, and not that big a deal in terms of headroom. Besides, the DSL50 sounds a lot better than the 401, and you could buy the head and wait for a good cab to come around on craigslist.

While I see what you mean here, I was aiming for an amp between 20 and 30 watts in the first place, and 50 is almost double what I was aiming for. But if there really is that much of a difference, I could make the sacrifice. Any suggestions for cabs for the dsl50? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to that.
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

Quote by baf250

I really like blues tones like SRV, but I also love 80s rock

try an egnater tweaker. though it's only 15 watts, it's very loud.

also try a rebel 30 for grins if you think 15 won't be enough watts.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 14, 2010,
Quote by gregs1020
try an egnater tweaker. though it's only 15 watts, it's very loud.

also try a rebel 30 for grins if you think 15 won't be enough watts.

I may try the Rebel 30. Tweaker is out of the question because it is single channel. I originally wanted a Rebel 20 but it was only single channel as well
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat