Amp:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GYWBJ6/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Guitar:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VTH1MU/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=AIMZUKBRH6H15

What do you think?
I plan on getting them pretty soon and I was wondering what you guys might think about it.
Also, this is really random, but how do I get the tone for "The Wind Cries Mary"? Would it be the same as using the "Red House" preset?
that amp isnt very good. its fine for practice, but is way to big for just practice. since you are just starting out, the 15W version should suffice. there are a few other options such as the vox valvetronix or peavey vyper that you may want to look into as well.
guitar is fine.
Eh, with that budget I'd recommend a MIM Fender Strat and a small tube combo. That will land you a nice tone
Hendrix tone is really hard to get. His tone has the real thin strat tone without being overly trebly because his pickups were "backwards". His tone in that song is kind of like thin but still pretty mellow kind of. With a normal strat you would just get thin and trebly...
EDIT:
The guitar is fine but with that money since you mentioned hendrix i would get a MIM fender strat. The amp i would get a small tube amp if your just going to do bedroom level practice.
Strat link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Ash-Electric-Guitar-102545274-i1371719.gc

Amp Link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tube-Combo-Amps-Combo-Amps,100-200.gc?o=1
Last edited by salgala2000 at Jun 13, 2010,
I recommend the Peavey Vyper, and a HSS mexican fender strat(provided you haven't actually played the LP and very much enjoyed how it felt). That is a relatively cheap set up and it sounds pretty monstrous in my opinion. I tried that setup at guitar center and was rather impressed.

Maybe SSS if you only want Hendrix tone, and no other kinds of tones, because if you want EVH tone(which are pretty much basic rock tone, as far as i can see) that set up is near perfect on a low budget.
Last edited by Dio10101 at Jun 13, 2010,
First of all:
What do you want play?
What part of the world are you from?
What's your total budget?
Are you willing to go used?

We need to know these things to get you the best gear for the money.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Well, I've been okaying for 3 years and I've always had a POS 15 WT Marshall amp. I just REALLY need an upgraid
Quote by youngapprentice
Eh, with that budget I'd recommend a MIM Fender Strat and a small tube combo. That will land you a nice tone

Yeah, epi LPs just arnt that good... I had one, sold it and bought a danelectro.

Get a Danelectro or a MIM Fender. Heck, those squire classic vibes are awesome, and they are under 400.

And the Spider is pure crap. Get something tube, or check out Vox Pathfinder and Orange Crush 30w (both solid state)
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
Quote by R.D
First of all:
What do you want play?
What part of the world are you from?
What's your total budget?
Are you willing to go used?

We need to know these things to get you the best gear for the money.

Well, I know I'll get the guitar. It's a gift from my aunt. But for the amp, I thought it would be a good buy. My budget is $300.
yea... that amp isnt good at all... i got that one to start and it was a total waste of money... i wish i would saved a lil more and got the peavy 5105 112 combo amp... but thats more for metal.
Well you can totally get an Epi LP Standard so much cheaper because $479 is a TON for it. You should go used because personally they aren't that great...

Lol you're gonna get burned so bad for that spider...
Quote by xGoozx
Well you can totally get an Epi LP Standard so much cheaper because $479 is a TON for it. You should go used because personally they aren't that great...

Lol you're gonna get burned so bad for that spider...

I might just go used then. Seeing from what everyone here is saying, I might look into some more amps. Any you recommend?
Depends what you want to get out of the amp. I can help on guitars but no amps hahaha. I'm an amp nub
Quote by xGoozx
Depends what you want to get out of the amp. I can help on guitars but no amps hahaha. I'm an amp nub

Well, the guitar does look amazing. And I've always wanted an LP. But I've been looking into Fender Stratocasters. Are they good for things other than Hendrix? Can I get get good rock and metal sounds from them(maybe Rise Against or Children of Bodom, etc.)?
Quote by whiteandblack
Well, the guitar does look amazing. And I've always wanted an LP. But I've been looking into Fender Stratocasters. Are they good for things other than Hendrix? Can I get get good rock and metal sounds from them(maybe Rise Against or Children of Bodom, etc.)?

With a proper amp you can definitely get those sounds from a strat. Just get a HSS strat with a strong pickup or get a SSS strat and put something like a hot rail in the bridge. Then (and most importantly) you'd need an amp with lots of gain like a vyper and you'd be all set
Quote by youngapprentice
With a proper amp you can definitely get those sounds from a strat. Just get a HSS strat with a strong pickup or get a SSS strat and put something like a hot rail in the bridge. Then (and most importantly) you'd need an amp with lots of gain like a vyper and you'd be all set

Well, I've found a new amp and guitar choice. Tell me what you think?

Amp:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Frontman-212R-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481601&rec=cart_B

Guitar:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=501158
first off for the more rock type stuff you need a humbucker in it or the hot rails. and if its just a practice there is no need for all that wattage. if u want a jack of all trades solid state amp definately go peavy vyper. the fender front man would need pedals to get heavy and idk if it could handel it. as for a guitar maybe find a schecter omen or something? they are cheap and generally very high quality guitars for what you pay for them.

maybe something like this for the guitar and this for the amp. you could always go for the 75w version but if its just a practice amp i see no need for all that volume. plus solid state doesnt sound that great at high volumes.