Quote by guitarsftw
Duncan Testosterones

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by FryingNemo
Are there any pickups that are considered 'virile'?

Well people generally use the term sterile to mean not toneful but...yeah, sure, I'm willing to give virile a go.

I have a virile Miracle Man in my guitar!
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
My Dimarzio Super Distortion is quite virile.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by guitarsftw
Duncan Testosterones

Nice, man.

Just to let everyone know, this isn't a 'help me choose pups' thread. Just an odd thought that entered my head and I wanted to hear what everyone thought.
Quote by Roc8995
I suppose the antithesis of sterile pickups would be "ballsy" pickups?

I would think that "fertile" is more appropriate?
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by FryingNemo
Skynyrd's right, you can be sterile and still have balls.

I want to sig that so much...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Duncan Invaders are the most amazing pickups I've ever heard, beefier and much more "virile" than EMG's, only problem is their tone is naturally really dark, some people might not like that but I happen to love it for what I play

If not the Invader than a JB or a Custom are also good bridge pups, for the neck I'd say a '59 or a Jazz
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Quote by Roc8995
I suppose the antithesis of sterile pickups would be "ballsy" pickups?

Quote by Skynyrd890
I would think that "fertile" is more appropriate?

What do you think virile means? It's the masculine version of fertile.

Gibson Nutbusters are pretty virile.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Actually yeah, invaders will actually jizz all over your face. Got custom invaders in my schecter.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by AcousticMirror
My warpigs impregnated 3 people this weekend.

You killed me. You killed me good!
*Open the window and scream*
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

The thing is, active pickups - especially the standard EMGs, more than SD Blackouts or EMG X-series in fact - give better, stronger response through a wider frequency range. People think they're compressed and missing upper-mid and lower-mid frequencies, but actually they're not, they give you far more of everything that any passive pickup will plus they'll catch some frequencies that most passive pickups will miss. Blackouts/X-series are actually in a way more basic and sterile because their matched coils cancel out more frequencies. Any notion that active pickups are compressed or sterile is entirely down to people either A) not knowing how they work, B) not knowing how to actually take advantage of them properly or C) not having good enough hearing to tell the difference between a wider frequency range being boosted equally vs a narrower frequency range being restricted equally.

After all, standard EMG active pickups are a massive hit with jazz players and always have been, that is what they were designed for. Go figure.

Though for a lazy answer, P-90s made with an underwound coil and Alnico III magnets, with a plastic cover and stud pole pieces instead of screws. That's pretty much the most ''organic'' tone you'll ever find.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
definetly 500t's or burstbuckers (geuss what brand's tone i like)
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
As the name suggests, the Dimarzio Breed.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by FryingNemo
Are there any pickups that are considered 'virile'?

Juicy Pickups are pretty fruitful.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by velocigecko
definetly 500t's or burstbuckers (geuss what brand's tone i like)

though i'm not such a fan of gibsons pickups they definitely have some organic warmth to them if matched with the right guitar.

also mr flibble, i think when people say EMGs and other actives are "sterile" sounding.. well it's hard to explain what i'm trying to say here, but somehow, the much more even, wide-range frequency response of active pickups sort of takes the 'character' of uneven frequency roll-off and stuff that you get from passive pickups, and the end result is even though the sound of an active pickup is "hi-fi" compared to passives, sometimes people see some organic warmth in that low fidelity sound... it's somehow similar to the difference between solid state and tube amps, in that solid state amps actually reproduce the sound a lot more accurately, but solid state amps are also often criticised as being "sterile" or "clinical" sounding... perhaps that makes more sense in my head than it does written down...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
There's UG's official EMG hater!

I'm agree with him.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.