I have a Schecter C-1 Artist II, which has passive Duncan's. I use a Blackstar HT-5, an amp I know most of you are familiar with. Now I love the OD channel on my Blackstar, but I'm more of a metal dude and sometimes it just doesn't cut it. So obviously I need some sort of pedal to handle this. I just don't know what.

A distortion pedal would be a quick and easy fix, I suppose. Go to the clean channel and there you go. But I was wondering if dirt pedals could be used as a boost. If you roll the gain to 0, will it work, or will it be really noisy/crap compared to an actual OD pedal? And if I do get an OD pedal, I don't know which ones have enough gain to boost it to my liking. Digitech Bad Monkey's, TS9, TS9DX, Maxon808, Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive... beside the little things like low-end and "texture," do they all have around the same amount of gain? If I use one of those as a boost, could any of them help me out with playing some Lamb of God, The Black Dahlia Murder, Between the Buried and Me, The Faceless, Scale the Summit?? Those are the majority of high gain stuff I play.

Or, as I mentioned before, just stop with this boost business and get a dirt pedal. BUT can they be used as a boost

Any followup questions, hit me up.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Scale the summit! **** yeah man, props to you for knowing about them.

personally, id go for a maxon od808. i have the same problem as you do, the OD on my egnater just isnt metal enough. currently im using a line 6 uber metal, but it just adds kind of a digital sound to it, which i dont like. the maxon should be able to add gain, tighten it up, and give you what you need. im not quite sure that the hardwire is meant for metal, and i know alot of people are fans of bad monkeys but, eh they never really caught me. and the maxon > tubescreamers anyday.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
I've found that boosting an amps distortion usually creates a lot of feedback and kind of sounds shitty. Should probably just use a pedal for all of your distortion. Try the MXR Fullbore Metal for a nice bite
Never used them but some type of Tube Screamer is kind of like standard and lots of people absolutley love them.
Quote by the_unforgiven6
I've found that boosting an amps distortion usually creates a lot of feedback and kind of sounds shitty. Should probably just use a pedal for all of your distortion. Try the MXR Fullbore Metal for a nice bite

We're talking about a tube amp here though... I've found this happens with solid states but not with tubes.
Quote by the_unforgiven6

The fact that you recommended this makes your post invalid, IMO, the MXR is only useful if your going for a Pantera tone but even then, Dimebags pretty renowned for crap tone.

I use a TS9 (modded) for a boost with tightens and adds gain well. I also use a MXR 10 band EQ to lessen the massive compression and to alter the voicing to something more American style when playing metal.

You may like this, or it may be in your best interest to get a new amp.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Last edited by TOMMYB22 at Jun 13, 2010,
The Digitech Tube OD is fantastic, I use it with my Ht-5, can't recommend it enough. If your comfortable with a soldering iron it takes like 12 minutes and a few resistors to get a ts9 to ts808 specs.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by robertito696
The Digitech Tube OD is fantastic, I use it with my Ht-5, can't recommend it enough. If your comfortable with a soldering iron it takes like 12 minutes and a few resistors to get a ts9 to ts808 specs.

That made me happy to hear because if the Tube OD is good, I'd rather get that. I've had some experience with Hardwire's and know how reliable they are.

He will be missed.
Quote by the_unforgiven6

I dislike this idea....boosting your amp's overdrive will sound better imho. I don't know to much about the Maxon overdrive, but I recently got an Ibanez TS9, and I'm in love with it.

On an unrelated note, I saw Scale the Summit open for Dweezil Zappa, and Dream Theater. They were awesome.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Last edited by SLonergan at Jun 14, 2010,
i think the problem you are having is the dinky power amp, it lacks the power for the bite. your attack is just going to be a bit spongy with an ht-5, if you want something with chunk and attack you need to keep the power section nice and linear.

no distortion pedal will fix that.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i think the problem you are having is the dinky power amp, it lacks the power for the bite. your attack is just going to be a bit spongy with an ht-5, if you want something with chunk and attack you need to keep the power section nice and linear.

^This
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Ah Scale the Summit. Glad to see they are getting recognition, good guys and great musicians. OD808.

Quote by TOMMYB22
The fact that you recommended this makes your post invalid, IMO, the MXR is only useful if your going for a Pantera tone but even then, Dimebags pretty renowned for crap tone.

Dimebag's tones throughout The Great Southern Trendkill are practically flawless for what he's doing. But I agree the pedal is a waste.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by PerpetualBurn
Ah Scale the Summit. Glad to see they are getting recognition, good guys and great musicians. OD808.

Dimebag's tones throughout The Great Southern Trendkill are practically flawless for what he's doing. But I agree the pedal is a waste.

Granted but that's for what he's doing. In retrospect it's still has way too much treble and doesn't have much feel to it.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by the_unforgiven6

Then you've been trying to "boost" solid state amps, which never ends well.

Most of the best metal tones you'll have heard are a boosted tube amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by gumbilicious

So OD pedal it is? But which one...

He will be missed.
Seems like you've done your research and have a decent idea what your trying to do. Props for an educated post.

Like Gumbi said, the power section on the ht-5 is not the best for what you are trying to do.

But yes, a good OD pedal would get you pretty close to what you want. I like ts9 and 808s for boosting, I know that the bad monkey is widely considered the best budget option.

Start checking youtube reviews/trying them out if possible
^ I'm constantly on YouTube, but sometimes the review doesn't really demo the pedal the way that benefits me, so I have to use my imagination.

He will be missed.
Quote by denied
Have you checked out proguitarshop demos? Andy will usually dedicate a section just to using an OD as a boost.

I go to their site frequently, actually. I like them a lot but still, they hardly play metal.

He will be missed.
Quote by denied
Well, sure, but you don't necessarily need to hear exactly what it will sound like for you (though that would obviously be ideal...)

You are mainly looking for a demonstration of how the pedal interacts with the amp, and the difference between bypass and boost

Haha I know; and they all sound good to me, but will they suit me is the question.

He will be missed.
can you boost with a distortion? yeah, sure. will it sound as good as an od? that depends on the tone you want, the specific pedal and amp, etc. etc.

EDIT: you don't normally need that much gain from an od if the amp already has a fair bit of preamp gain. don't judge it by the amount of dirt you can get out of it on a clean channel.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
can you boost with a distortion? yeah, sure. will it sound as good as an od? that depends on the tone you want, the specific pedal and amp, etc. etc.

EDIT: you don't normally need that much gain from an od if the amp already has a fair bit of preamp gain. don't judge it by the amount of dirt you can get out of it on a clean channel.

Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by larrytheguitar
^

I was indicating how you 'boost' the 'drive' of an 'amplifier'....

Lovin the airquotes.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
^ sorry i thought i was drunk and hallucinating about sd1s...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've narrowed it down to the Digitech Hardwire Tube OD, MXR GT-OD (if I can find one), and... I forget now. Help me fill that in.

He will be missed.
I don't mean to bump, but... I really need this pedal.

He will be missed.
Sorry guys, I wasn't thinking about the fact that we were talking about tube amps. You're right about the solid state amp because that's what I use.