So I've been searching around for some studio monitors. So you kno, i'm running pro tools with an mbox2.
What would you guys suggest and what have you worked with and how they respond to different frequencies.
At my uni we use Yamaha NS-10's and Dynaudio's (not sure which ones) I dont like the sound of the NS-10's, they seem to over exaggerate the mid frequencies, yet the Dynaudio's lack presence but comfortable all round. I've heard that KRK's are a good way to go as they are good quality for the price. My budget is £300 (thats roughly $450)
MySpace Profile
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

for the money? KRKs. i dont know if you can afford it, but the bigger the better. go with 8's if you can. they're no ns10, but very hard to beat for the money.
FYI, ns-10s are a reference standard because they sound so bad, that when your mix sounds good on them, it sounds amazing on real monitors.

I like Genelecs, Tannoys, some JBLs, but I'm not sure if they have cheaper models too.
Last edited by Rakoro at Jun 13, 2010,
yeah i forgot about that, we have them set up as well as another monitor, so you can A-B them.

and sandyman, which KRK 8 do you refer to? the Rockit's or VXT's. The Rockit's are £100 over budget, but yeah probs waiting and saving probably would be better
MySpace Profile
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

yamaha hs50/80s
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
I've given this story many times but one day on a hunt for monitors, I went into an independent music store in my area (aka, not Guitar Center) and listened to about 12 different pairs of monitors between $100-$500. There were M-Audio, Mackie, KRK, Yamaha and some off brand. The best sounding were the KRK rockits by far. The worse, the Mackies.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
I've given this story many times but one day on a hunt for monitors, I went into an independent music store in my area (aka, not Guitar Center) and listened to about 12 different pairs of monitors between $100-$500. There were M-Audio, Mackie, KRK, Yamaha and some off brand. The best sounding were the KRK rockits by far. The worse, the Mackies.
Interesting.

I personally liked them, but I guess that is me.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jun 14, 2010,
the krks have a coloured bottom end
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

umm maybe the mackies sounded bad because they didn't colour the sound ? Therefore it was the actual recording that was shit and not the monitor? I mean thats possible right?
Quote by Johnikker
umm maybe the mackies sounded bad because they didn't colour the sound ? Therefore it was the actual recording that was shit and not the monitor? I mean thats possible right?

Actually, the mackies did color the sound. Thats why they were shit. Mackies have a rep for either coloring the sound greatly, dropping certain frequencies or both.
Every monitor colors the sound...it's just that the cheaper ones color more than the higher priced ones.

I'm with Lock, I've heard the Mackie MR8 and the KRK Rokit G2 and the KRKs are by were the best of the two.
Now it should be noted that neither of these monitors have a frequency response sheet so I can't show how much either color the sound...but I know what I've heard and enjoy the KRKs.
so what do you guys mean when you say the sound is 'coloured' does that mean the monitors are truly flat EQ wise
MySpace Profile

Quote by Ticks & Leeches
so what do you guys mean when you say the sound is 'coloured' does that mean the monitors are truly flat EQ wise

No, that means they aren't totally flat. Some are boosted in some spots which isn't good for mixing.
anyway nothing beats tannoy reveal 510s
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

Quote by lockwolf
No, that means they aren't totally flat. Some are boosted in some spots which isn't good for mixing.

yeah i meant to say 'aren't' truly flat.
MySpace Profile

General consensus on this topic would be the Yamaha HM50/80 or the KRK Rokit series, either get good write ups.

I work with the Rokit 5's and I quite like them, as do several others Catharsis Studios/Dream Pin.
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
^ cant seem to find the HM50, but i see HS50M. now, i kinda think it could be the same thing, but maybe it isnt. any insight there Owen?
i was mostly considering the rokits myself, but the yamahas look pretty solid as well.
Yeah, mislabelling on my part, HS50M would be what I meant.

A lot of top engineers like the HS50Ms for A/Bing with other speakers, so they have a legitimate use if you were ever to upgrade, from what I've read they have a fairly different voicing from the NS10's - more flat, better low end response (more so on the 80's obviously) but still have a certain Yamaha-y character.

I like the Rokits but lately I'm finding the mids a bit weird and the low end could be better, but I've tried a few monitors in this price range now and nothings really overwhelmed me or made me think I got a bad deal with them, they are solid and reliable (better than the Tannoy Reveals I tested) but if you get the chance A/B the two together and tell me what you think.
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
with the tannoys you get a bit of software and room correction which helps a bit
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

Yeah the Yamaha HS50M's sound good, and £20 cheaper. I'm looking for something thats a bit more flat. Does anyone know how close sounding they are the NS10's?
I'm not fussed about room correction as I'd be taking them round to different places. But yeah, usually with all gear, its something you gotta go in and try out, see which you see best.
MySpace Profile

i know an engineer who always uses ns10's in the studio and can't stand the HS80s. they really dont sound a whole lot alike. not that they're bad monitors, the HS80s are probably the best you can get for the money. they just have a different sound.

i would advise against the HS50s. if you dont have the money for the bigger ones, get some 8 inch KRKs. you want to hear the low end as well as you can. whether you can hear it or not, it will be in every one of your recordings/mixes, so you might as well hear it so you have an idea of what it's doing.

yeah the KRKs are "colored", but so are the HS80/50s or NS10s or any other monitors. part of being able to mix with monitors is taking the time to "learn" them. once you get used to any of those and how they translate, you'll be able to mix just fine with them.